What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 70s or 80s Historical or Harlequin Romance paperback: virgin heroine, strong male figure, new master of her family estate, cares for him during illness (raped by H) fever state

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (last edited May 20, 2019 05:01PM) (new)

Renee | 16 comments Hello, I am reaching out to this group in hopes that someone might recall the plot snippets I have listed below of a Gothic Romance book that I once read a long time ago. Unfortunately, I no longer know the title or the author and what little bit I do recall is not a lot. Romance paperback from either the 70s or 80s, as I started reading Gothic and bodice rippers at that time

What I recall ...

1. heroine (virgin): approx. age of 18 to early 20s whose parents are not alive and who enjoys walking along the cliffs that are behind her families estate and that of the neighbor's house, that was adjacent to the estate. Her family was friends of the people who lived in that house. I believe the grandfather still lives there and his grandson comes an visits him and to see the heroine (who the young man loves). She finds the new master hansom but she is ignored by him and she doesn't have much to do to help him or the house,

2. Strong Male Hero: who is older than are heroine and has acquired the families estate and may be her guardian. I believe he is referred to as master and the estate may be more of a country estate. i believe he is trying to make something of himself and the estate by seeking a marriage with one of the prominent families in the county and by implementing farming. I believe he is attracted to our heroine but may feel she is too young and he is not seeking a love match for a spouse.working to improve the estate and getting farming started on the lands and make a profit.

Situation I
The male Hero becomes ill (not sure why) and our Heroine is nursing him during the evening in order for the housekeeper to get her rest and during one of her night watches with our Hero, he was out of mind with a fever and as she was caring for him, he grabbed her and she ends up in his bed and being pinned under him, he has his way with her and takes her virginity. As it started out as a rape, I believe the heroine ended up being a participant in the act and that is what the master is troubled by of thoughts of a passionate encounter.

After that incident, the Heroine must have covered it up so that the staff would not be aware the next morning and she does not say anything about the episode when a staff member arrives that morning after;

When the hero/master does recovers from his illness, he is nagged by a sense of something did happen and needs to find the person who was in his room that night;

He does not believe it was a dream as it seemed too passionate and real to him to be anything but what really happened;

Situation 2
Not sure why the heroine goes to the neighboring home of the grandfather and the young man, but she does. The young man tells her he loves her and wants to marry her, but she does not love him. she may agree to marry this young man just to have a home.

Our hero/master does go in search of her at the neighbor’s home (don't believe he knows it was here in his bed that night) he may be asking why she ran away and asking her to return to the estate. he returns to the estate without her.

She does go back to the estate and it maybe that she feels he may not think of her as anything other than a child but she loves him and wants to be near him and to run the house is better than not being near him.

However, sometime after she returns to the estate, the hero does learn it was her that night in his bed when he was delirious with fever and he seeks her out in the dining room where she is doing some work. and he confesses his love for her and happy ending.

I hope someone can help me find this story or some suggestions of possible books along this story line!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32339 comments Mod
Renee, what makes this a gothic romance? (Note: book read around the late 1970s.)

Can you tell us more about the couple - skills/interests/hobbies, personality, love/hate at first sight, etc.?

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee | 16 comments Kris wrote: "Renee, what makes this a gothic romance? (Note: book read around the late 1970s.)

Can you tell us more about the couple - skills/interests/hobbies, personality, love/hate at first sight, etc.?"

message 5: by Renee (last edited May 04, 2019 05:46PM) (new)

Renee | 16 comments Renee wrote: "Kris wrote: "Renee, what makes this a gothic romance? (Note: book read around the late 1970s.)

Can you tell us more about the couple - skills/interests/hobbies, personality, love/hate at first sig..."

Kris, I don't believe this is a Gothic and may be a Harlequin Romance from the 80s or a historical romance.

The only things that stand out is the heroine liked to walk behind the estate and enjoy the view along the cliffs of her home. and, that the heroine sat vigil during one evening when the hero was very ill and while nursing him, he grabbed for her and she ends up in bed with him and he has sex with her; however i believe the heroine likes him. I tried to abbreviate above ...

i wish i could recall more, it wld make it much easier.

Renee

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37621 comments Mod
Renee, please put some of those plot details into your header/title. This helps anyone trying to search for your book.

message 7: by JE (new)

JE | 58 comments Sounds like a Kathleen woodiwiss book.

message 8: by Shelia (new)

Shelia Williams | 748 comments Sounds interesting hope you find it

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Renee is still looking for this and wrote:

"Still looking for a historical Romance book I purchased around 1983 or 1984 from a resell store. Maybe paperback printed in 60s or 70s or early part of 80s!

Heroine: young virgin, parents deceased, lost ancestral home in the country of either England or an setting that has cliffs to walk along.

Hero: Alpha Male, estranged from family, inherits the ancestral estate and referred to as Master, proof himself: looking to make a marriage match with a good country upper squire family and to turn the estate to making money.

H/h:
• H is attracted to the heroine, but believes she maybe too young for our hero aspirations to achieve status and have a wife that would also be a good hostess. He is setting up dinner events for the esteem families in the countryside who have daughters of marrying age over at the estate.
• h feels useless and in the way of all that is going on with the dinner preparations in the estate since the new Master has arrived and the servants don't want her assistance. She is lonely, takes walks along the back of the estate and goes to visit the neighbor that lives in the house on the estate: Grandfather living and his young adult grandson comes to visit him and is in love with her. The heroine is given a sitting room in the estate to enjoy her quiet time, reading, piano and entertaining - a quarrel between the main characters was when the master came upon the closed door of her sitting room and found the young man and her alone in the room. Master opened the door and confronted the two and after the young man left and the housekeeper came in to the room to clear the tea service, he stated that she keeps the door open when the young man is visiting.
• Master became ill and had a high fever for days where the housekeeper and servants were sitting with him and to give them a much needed rest one night, our heroine sat vigil with the master out of his mind with a high fever and when the heroine was wiping his brow, the hero grabbed for her and she ends up in his bed and this progressed where she was not able to get away from him and he took her virginity. However, he didn't realize that he did or even know that there was anyone actually in his bed that evening when he was sick. When he recovered from his illness, he did ask the housekeeper if there had been anyone in his room (not sure how she answered tho)
• The heroine got spooked away by a women who he was thinking of asking to marry and the heroine ran away from the estate and ended up at the house of the grandfather and this is when the young man asks for our heroine's hand in marriage. However, when the master does seek her (still not knowing that she was the one in his bed that night) to ask her to return to the estate and that he will not be marrying that women -he leaves the heroine to think about returning and the grandfather tells the heroine that he could hear in her voice that she loves the hero. When the grandson comes to visit them, she tells him that she cannot marry him.
• Heroine returns back to the estate and the master and she is given a role of being involved more with the estate house and during a moment when she was cleaning, he confronted the heroine about what had happened that night and declaring his affection (or love) to her.
Please proof my family wrong and list any and all book/authors that sound like the above story plot! "

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Deleting another thread for the same book.

The title of that thread was:

"from the 1970 or 1980s: Hero return from war, inherits estate, accidentally rapes virgin heroine"

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Please bookmark this thread so you don't lose it.

message 12: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 535 comments Have you ever found this Renee?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ground She Walks Upon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Meagan McKinney (other topics)