Wanderlust Challenges discussion

Archive Group Reads > May 2019 Group Read - The Widows of Malabar Hill

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments May 2019 Group Read
The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey

Everyone is invited to join!

**Please use spoilers when posting your comments.

Commercial Photography

Bombay 1921: Perveen Mistry, the daughter of a respected Zoroastrian family, has just joined her father's law firm, becoming one of the first female lawyers in India. Armed with a legal education from Oxford, Perveen also has a tragic personal history that makes her especially devoted to championing and protecting women's rights.

Mistry Law is handling the will of Mr. Omar Farid, a wealthy Muslim mill owner who has left three widows behind. But as Perveen goes through the papers, she notices something strange: all three have signed over their inheritance to a charity. What will they live on if they forefeit what their husband left them? Perveen is suspicious.

The Farid widows live in purdah: strict seclusion, never leaving the women's quarters or speaking to any men. Are they being taken advantage of by an unscrupulous guardian? Perveen tries to investigate and realizes her instincts about the will were correct when tensions escalate to murder. It's her responsibility to figure out what really happened on Malabar Hill, and to ensure that nobody is in further danger.

Inspired in part by the woman who made history as India's first female attorney, The Widows of Malabar Hill is a richly wrought story of multicultural 1920s Bombay as well as the debut of a sharp new sleuth.

message 2: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments I'm really looking forward to this one! It's not a cheap one but I hope you can find it at the library if you are interested in joining us in May.

message 3: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Apr 30, 2019 03:02PM) (new)

Jan | 10886 comments SALE ALERT: Just in time for our group read Amazon US has this book on sale for $1.99. Woot! Woot!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07226BHDG/...

UPDATE: Guess it was a one day sale. Great price is gone :(

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments I just put it on hold at the library - looks like another book club somewhere in the system is reading it as lots of copied are on hold, including the audio version... I should have it in a few days. I'll give it a try.

message 5: by Jan, Moderator (last edited May 05, 2019 09:00AM) (new)

Jan | 10886 comments I started this last night...so far, so good.

Chapters 1-2: (view spoiler)

Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments My copy is in at the library. Can't pick it up until Monday.

message 7: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments I'm glad you got it though. I won't be reading it completely alone. Though its one I've been looking forward to so it was going to read it regardless of whether I had buddies or not but I'm glad you are joining me.

message 8: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments Chapter 4 & 5: (view spoiler)

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 1205 comments This is on my TBR but I won't get to it this month. Thanks for hiding the spoilers, Jan!

message 10: by Jan, Moderator (last edited May 07, 2019 12:52PM) (new)

Jan | 10886 comments Made some more progress on this:

Chapter 6-8: (view spoiler)

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments I'm just starting Chapter 14. So many onions being peeled to reveal so many stories. Sujata Massey is a talented author! A very interesting book so far. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments Chapters 9-11: (view spoiler)

Chapter 12-14: (view spoiler)

Karen - in response to your spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 13: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments Chapters 15 - 16: (view spoiler)

Chapters 17 -19: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments I just finished Chapter 18. Still enjoying the story. (view spoiler)

Haven't read your spoilers yet, Jan. Will comment later. Off to work now...

message 15: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments I thought April was retirement time Karen? I was thinking of joining you - my last day of work is Friday.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments WOW! Congratulations! I'm right behind you - May 30th. This time it is for sure - the paperwork is signed and the exit interview is scheduled. I am ready! (Still kind of scary - I've been getting up and going to the same place for 30 years! Going to be an adjustment but I think I can handle it!)

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments Jan - (view spoiler)

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments Is today the day??? How strange does it feel? I'm getting pretty freaked out. I just can't picture walking out one night and never going back. How long have you worked there? I rehearsed this morning - didn't turn on the TV - took my coffee and toast out onto the porch with The Widows of Malabar Hill and read for a half an hour in blissful peace - nothing but the birds chirping. I think it is going to be a good gig!

Enjoy your last day!

message 19: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments Today is the day! I turn in my computer at 1:00 pm. I have worked here 5 years so not near as long as you. And I was mostly remote so the adjustment of not going somewhere is not going to be an issue. But being remote, your online presence was very important - I was tied to it and felt I needed to respond immediately to everyone. I was not one of those remote employees who was in and out of the house or doing laundry while working. I probably overdid the focus and had a hard time stepping away. That's going to be the struggle - my workplace was my home and now I need to turn it into something else.

And I am also very routine oriented so I will need to set up some kind of routine quickly or I will feel a bit lost. But those routines are going to look a lot different than sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours at the beck and call of everyone.

I'm hoping I can allow myself some time to relax and have some fun. But I'm not very good at either of those so its going to be an adjustment. A new adventure...that's for sure!!

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments Just finished Chapter 30. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments Karen - in response (through Chapter 30): (view spoiler)

message 22: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments Finished this last night!

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen | 536 comments Chapter 30 to the end. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 10886 comments I"m glad you ended up enjoying it Karen! I found all the historical and cultural information fascinating. Thanks for reading it with me :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Widows of Malabar Hill (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sujata Massey (other topics)