The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Novels with a few characters

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vivliokoritsa  (vivliokoritsa) Hello, I wanna ask first a question and then ask for recommendations.
I am trying to find out if there is a spesific category for crime/thriller novels with those characteristics:
No detectives (or just basic police interference)
Few characters (specially the "bad" one is close range)
Plot twists
First narratives, or two voices

Like: the wife between us, bring me back, the house swap, believe me, an anonymous girl.

And also any suggestions?
I prefer stand alone novels and maybe debuts.

Thank you.

message 2: by Chelsie (new)

Chelsie (chelzlou) | 68 comments I usually refer to these more so as Psychological. My suggestions would be The Silent Patient, Behind Her Eyes, Our Little Secret, Jar of Hearts (this has some police/crime in it)... these are just the few I can think of off the top of my head.

message 3: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2729 comments Try Barbara Vine books. A Dark Adapted Eye is a good place to start.

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage
The Collector by John Fowles—best unreliable narrator
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
What Was She Thinking by Zoe Heller
The Secret History by Donna Tartt

I’ve read all of these, and they are some of my favorites. Unreliable narrators are my favorite (not all of the above have one).

message 4: by Patty (new)

Patty | 2729 comments Chelsie, I just finished The Silent Patient. What a doozy of a ride. Loved it!

Vivliokoritsa  (vivliokoritsa) Thank you for your reccomendations. I just finished I see you, Snap and the Breakdown. All very good.

message 6: by Donald (new)

Donald Grant (drdon1996) | 122 comments She's Listening by Cathryn Grant