Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > march 2019 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1185 comments Hi All,

A busy time at work so I did not read much but was able to listen to some good audios.

Here are my March reads:

Top Read

Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata Convenience Store Woman
Sayaka Murata
This was an offbeat, quirky, even strange story of a Japanese woman who does not quite fit in. A short but entertaining listen that was narrated by Nancy Wu

Good Reads

Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce Blood Orange
Harriet Tyce
I liked this even though all the characters were pretty much insufferable train wrecks. The plot was also pretty predictable but the writing was engaging and the narration of the audio by Julie Teal was excellent.

Watching You (Joseph O'Loughlin, #7) by Michael Robotham Watching You
Michael Robotham
An entertaining entry in this psychological suspense series. The plot was fine but I always enjoy the recurring characters and the narration by Seán Barrett.

The Mystery of the Blue Train by Agatha Christie The Mystery of the Blue Train
Agatha Christie
Another fun Hercule Poirot mystery that takes place on the Calais-Paris-Nice Express luxury train and features a sensible female character from St. Mary Mead. Listened to the audio which was narrated by Hugh Fraser.

The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9) by Amanda Cross The Players Come Again
Amanda Cross
Professor and amateur detective Kate Fansler is approached by a publishing company to write the biography of the wife of a famous modernist author. This was not really a mystery but a look at literary criticism, family, and female bonds with a bit of intrigue thrown in. I thought it was well written and interesting but can see why there are such differing opinions here.

Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson Before She Knew Him
Peter Swanson
Not my favorite type of plot but at least with enough twists and turns to keep me interested. Listened to the audio version that was narrated by Sophie Amoss, who I found a bit flat, and Graham Halstead.

Fair Read

The Hiding Place by C.J. Tudor The Hiding Place
C.J. Tudor
For the first 2/3s of this book I was enjoying it and then the ending just fell apart. I really liked the first person narration though and would probably try another by this author.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14214 comments A nice group of audio books Sandi: It's good you can fit those in during the busy season.
Convenience Store Woman looks intriguing, and I recommend you try C.J. Tudor's The Chalk Man since you are willing to try another. :)

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7794 comments I'm not familiar with the Michael Robotham series. Will look into it.