What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Pets for Sale
This topic is about Pets for Sale
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's picture book about a strange pet shop. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wynter (last edited Apr 23, 2019 11:00AM) (new)

Wynter Dull | 3 comments Update: I found the book with the help of my local library, it's called "Pets for Sale" by Rita Gelman

I remember reading this book when I was a kid. I read it in the mid 90s. A little boy is looking for a pet, and visits this very odd pet shop; I remember that the entire story was in rhyme.(It wasn't Puck's peculiar Pet Shop by Dean Walley and Roz Schanzer, although it was somewhat similar to that one.)

The pet shop owner presents him with several different pets, each with some bizarre and annoying trait, such as a robot-like creature who cleans up everything and a minotaur-like creature who messes up everything, a creature with a scissors-shaped head and(I think) a glue-brush shaped tail who cuts and glues whatever he can get his hands on, several tiny, car shaped creatures who go zooming everywhere, a raccoon in(I think) a Centurion helmet who causes various kinds of mischief, and a giant sphinx-like creature with a TV-screen face who breathes fire. The boy(as one might suppose) turns each one of them down, until he's presented with a regular, normal dog. (spoilers for the end of the book) The pet shop owner insists that the boy couldn't possibly want the dog("She does not cut, she does not glue, she is not the pet for you!), but the boy knows better("Says who?) then they leave together.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Apr 16, 2019 06:11PM) (new)

Kris | 33225 comments Mod
Note: Wynter says the book is somewhat similar to Puck's peculiar pet shop; a tongue-twister story by Dean Walley.

Pet Boy (2001) by Keith Graves turned up while searching (re: rhymes, weird pets), but it's a loose match.

message 4: by Wynter (new)

Wynter Dull | 3 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Lester and the Unusual Pet?"

Sadly this is not it, the art work in it was more like The Monster's Ring by Bruce Coville. With those sorts of muted "dull" colors.

message 5: by Wynter (new)

Wynter Dull | 3 comments Update: I found the book with the help of my local library, it's called "Pets for Sale" by Rita Gelman

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16048 comments Glad you found it!

Pets for Sale for the link.