Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

FORBIDDEN HISTORY OF THE BIBLE > Believer or Non-Believer - Read the Bible!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic There are many reasons for not reading the entire Christian Bible; most of them valid and all of them understandable. It is boring, confusing, biased, and aggravatingly repetitive. That said; the bible still remains the internationally best known and all-time best selling book ever published.

Some believe it is the word of God and that the various human authors were divinely inspired. Others believe that it is a compilation of ancient legends and myths derived from tales told around the camp fire by early humans during prehistoric times. Still others believe the bible is nothing more than superstitious nonsense utilized by certain religious organizations to keep their members in line.

I really don't care what you believe. It is none of my business, or anyone else's for that matter. As someone once wrote in a famous book: "Judge not, lest ye be judged".

It is difficult to plod through the repetitive and often mind-numbing tales, the meaning and interpretation of which even the self-professed experts often disagree. By the way, I am not one of those self-professed experts, but I have read the bible from cover to cover more than once. Some may ask why I, a non-believer, would want to read the entire bible. They should be asking why so many believers do not.

Whether or not you choose to embrace or reject the contents of the bible is your prerogative; however, you should at least know what it is that you are embracing or rejecting.

message 2: by Lance, Group Founder (new)

Lance Morcan | 2799 comments Jim wrote: "There are many reasons for not reading the entire Christian Bible; most of them valid and all of them understandable. It is boring, confusing, biased, and aggravatingly repetitive. That said; the b..."

Thanks for this Jim. You make some very good points.
What is your opinion of the historicity or historical accuracy of the Gospels, or the record of Christ's life and teaching in the first four books of the New Testament?

I ask this because it has been debated at length in other discussion threads in this groups...and as you'll see if you check them out the jury seems to be out on just how reliable the Gospels are from an historic perspective.

message 3: by Jim (last edited Apr 16, 2019 04:25PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Lance wrote: "Jim wrote: "There are many reasons for not reading the entire Christian Bible; most of them valid and all of them understandable. It is boring, confusing, biased, and aggravatingly repetitive. That..."

Lance,

I question many of the events depicted in the gospels, especially the more dramatic, over-the-top events that defy logic. One of the most noted historians of the time, Josephus, wrote extensively about King Herod, Augustus Caesar, Pontius Pilate, and a number of con artists claiming to be the Messiah; however, he never mentions a claimant to the title or dramatic crucifixion by the Romans that stood out among any other.

An example of a New Testament event that one would think would have merited documentation by noted historians of the time is the one in which King Herod allegedly orders all babies two-years-old or younger living in Bethlehem and the surrounding areas to be killed. (Matthew 2: 13-14) Not one historic document of the time mentions such a noteworthy, horrific event during Herod's rule.

Here is an example of two eye witnesses of the same event failing to get even the basic facts straight.
Matthew describes an incident in which two anonymous people possessed by devils approach Jesus, addressing him as "the son of God" and request that he transfer their bodies into a nearby herd of pigs. Jesus complies and all of the pigs immediately jump into a deep part of a nearby sea and drown. (Matthew 8: 28-32)
In Mark's account of this same event, there is only one possessed man who states that his name is Legion because he is possessed by approximately 2,000 unclean spirits. The spirits, not the man, beg Jesus to cast them into the herd of pigs. (Mark 5: 2-13)
Although eyewitness versions of the same event may differ in minor details, the major ones usually agree, even in such contrived tales designed to impress superstitious listeners. Matthew and Mark don't even come close to getting the story straight.

There are many more examples, including some accounts within the Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John's Gospels, Paul's conversion story and accounts of his travels, along with the Acts of the Apostles that not only disagree regarding specific details, but occasionally outright contradict one another.

As suggested in my initial post, one should read the entire bible, both Old and New Testaments, and arrive at their own conclusion as to whether the books inspire them to believe or reject the contents.

message 4: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11226 comments Jim wrote: "There are many reasons for not reading the entire Christian Bible; most of them valid and all of them understandable. It is boring, confusing, biased, and aggravatingly repetitive. That said; the b..."

Yeah, it's a good book, alright. You could read it a 100 times and still get new meanings.

message 5: by David (new)

David Elkin | 508 comments Read it twice. Some excellent ideas to live your life. The miracles are mostly fairy tales.