A Wheel Of Time Read Along discussion

The Great Hunt - Book #2 > tGH Week 3 - Chapters 27 - 39

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 145 comments Mod
Ah! I'm late! My apologies.

Things really really pick up here in these chapters. We go from Rand and Loial getting attacked by dark friends and Trollocs. Ingtar, Mat, and Perrin's group meet with some Aiel. Domon makes a return as with him we meet some Seanchan invaders. Spoiler - they are evil AF!

I like the scenes with Rand, Loial, Hurin, and Selene. I find it funny that even Loial is smitten by Selene. The fireworks Rand used as a weapon in chapter 27 was pretty cool.

What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Kane (new)

Kane Taylor (kano84) I'm absolutely loving how this story is going. The Seanchan are phenomenally interesting and I hope their story develops more and more.
I'm a fair bit ahead now and am about to start chapter 46, so I can't remember which events occur before or after 39. Either way, excellent book so far!

message 3: by Sunil (new)

Sunil | 22 comments Flicker flicker flicker flicker flicker flicker....

What an amazing passage of writing. Absolutely gripping.

message 4: by Kane (new)

Kane Taylor (kano84) Oh, I forgot about that! Yes, that was absolutely phenomenal. Brilliant piece of writing for sure.

Also, Jason. Just an idea, but what are your thoughts on releasing all four weeks of book posts at the start of each month. For example, if there are 60 chapters, on the first of the month make four topics. Chapter 1 - 15, 16 - 30, etc. That way, people who are reading a little faster or are getting a head start, can comment as they reach the end of those sections. People who aren't up to that part yet will also know not to click in that section due to spoilers.

Just an idea, no stress either way of course! :)

message 5: by Jason (new)

I’m loving the idea of alternate dimensions and realities in this series.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Kane, I’m going to start doing that for The Dragon Reborn.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Silsby | 12 comments I just started chapter 35, where they've shown up at Stedding Tsofu and encountered some Aiel women.

Poor Thom, losing his lover that had been such a blessing to have found late in life. But I'm glad Thom seems to be back in the mix of things - even though, for now, he's still taking the line that he's done with Rand's business with the Aes Sedai and intends to go on his separate way. Of course, losing his girlfriend only makes him more likely to get sucked back in to the adventure...so have millions of Thom-enjoying readers somehow perversely willed his heartbreak into being??? The wheel weaves as the wheel weaves.

I'm of course glad that Selene's been out of the picture for most of this section, as I figure she's either a representation of the Dark One himself or something very close to it. But I know it's just a matter of time before she shows up again to imperil our boys!

The Seanchan are super interesting. So sinister. I'm eager to find out how they got from their backstory of being descendants of Arthur Hawkwing's armies to the present. Aes Sedai enslaved and on leashes! The nerve! Also, do I have it right that the three-eyed, slick-hided creatures they seem to use as horses &/or sentries are grolm, which is the type of monster that Rand saved Selene from when he first ran into her in the alternate reality world?

Welp, as I type that out I realize that Selene must be from Arthur Hawkwing times (couldn't she read the old script?) or has something to do with the Seanchan. I guess this is how she'll figure into the story when she shows back up. She's gonna be how they get back the horn, now that it's in Turak's hands.

Anyway, here's what I picture the Seanchan's boxy ships looking like: ships from Korean movie The Admiral

message 8: by Chick (new)

Chick Bookstop (chickbookstop) | 11 comments These chapters really did fly by! Like pp said the Stedding and a little look into Ogier culture was a highlight for me. Loved the "flickering" scene's as well.

message 9: by Lyndi (new)

Lyndi (mibookobsession) I almost expected them to open the box and have the horn tainted by the dagger that Rand put with it for so long. That would have put an interesting spin on things...

message 10: by Zachary (new)

Zachary Smith | 4 comments So Selene seems to me to be Lanfear the dark lady (something along those lines). They lost the horn TWICE!!!! Man I can't believe all three weren't guarding that thing at all times (but wouldn't make it interesting in the story if they did). Thom is the man I really held on from book 1 when Moraine said she didn't think he was dead. He is a cool dude. Also the King is dead from Cairhein (did Thom do this?). "The Great Hunt" really has been more action packed than "Eye of the World" and I can't put it down!

message 11: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments Skipped over the last few comments. I’m currently up to Chapter 36. So sad for Thom :(.

message 12: by Hoang (new)

Hoang (hoangh98) | 35 comments OMG, chapter 37 is the best chapter I have ever read from a fantasy book. Anybody feels the same?

I have won again, Lews Therin.
Flicker.