What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Like No Other
This topic is about Like No Other
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young Adult Romance Book read in 2018 about an African American male who meets an Asian female on an elevator. The two are attracted, but not allowed to date, because of her religion and her strict parents. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 4 comments They also meet again when the male has a friend who breaks his arm and ends up in the hospital. The girl is at the hospital, too. I know this isn't much to go on, but I thought I would see if this rings any bells for anyone out there.

message 2: by Mai (last edited Apr 16, 2019 10:28AM) (new)

Mai | 1220 comments Maybe Like No Other by Una LaMarche?
He is African American but I don't think she's Asian; the readers mention that she is Jewish and they meet in the hospital's elevator:
Jaxon is sixteen-years-old and currently sitting by his best friend’s bedside, after Ryan attempted to jump a fallen tree branch with his skateboard and got a broken arm in the process.

Devorah is also sixteen, sitting in a waiting room with her pious brother-in-law, Jacob, awaiting the premature birth of her first niece. As the generators power on, Devorah becomes increasingly worried for her eighteen-year-old sister Rose as she goes into labour; their parents are out of town visiting a sick aunt, and it’s down to Devorah to be her sister’s strength.

But when Jaxon and Devorah – two perfect strangers who couldn’t be more opposite – get into the hospital elevator, they have no idea what fate has in store for them. The elevator stops and throws them into darkness – stuck, as the storm outside cuts power to the hospital.

Forced to keep one another company, Devorah only remembers that the boy in the elevator is very tall, and black and she’s breaking ‘yichud’ by even just telling him her name – because her Jewish religious law says she cannot speak to men outside her family and unchaperoned

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 4 comments Thanks for trying, but that's not it. I'm actually looking for a student and he remembers what the book cover looks like, and he said that's not it. He thinks the two characters are on a bench on the cover of the book. He also just said that the female character is of Indian descent.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 4 comments Jackie wrote: "Thanks for trying, but that's not it. I'm actually looking for a student and he remembers what the book cover looks like, and he said that's not it. He thinks the two characters are on a bench on t..."

Mai wrote: "Maybe Like No Other by Una LaMarche?
He is African American but I don't think she's Asian; the readers mention that she is Jewish and they meet in the hospital's e..."

Jackie wrote: "They also meet again when the male has a friend who breaks his arm and ends up in the hospital. The girl is at the hospital, too. I know this isn't much to go on, but I thought I would see if this ..."

Mai - I am so sorry, you were right! The student came back in today to tell me it was in fact Like No Other!

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Yay! I'm glad they found it. I'll move this to Solved for you.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 4 comments Jackie wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Thanks for trying, but that's not it. I'm actually looking for a student and he remembers what the book cover looks like, and he said that's not it. He thinks the two characters are ..."

Andria wrote: "Yay! I'm glad they found it. I'll move this to Solved for you."

Thanks so much!

message 7: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1220 comments I'm glad this ended up being the right book! It sounded really close with the friend with a broken arm and the elevator but you never know...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Like No Other (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Una LaMarche (other topics)