PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [Activities] > Pen Pals w/books and journals - 12 members

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments Book Club - Pen Pal Style - Long Distance

Looking for interested members. Group will consist of 12 members who commit to reading one book a month. Each member will select and purchase a favorite book and a journal. As you read the book, you will write down thoughts, questions, connections, sketches, etc. in the journal. On the last day of every month, each member will package and mail the novel and the journal to the next person on the list. After 12 months, you will receive your original book back, along with the journal filled with treasures.
Anyone interested?

message 2: by Anne ✨ (last edited Apr 17, 2019 07:21PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Sylvia wrote: "Book Club - Pen Pal Style - Long Distance

Looking for interested members. Group will consist of 12 members who commit to reading one book a month. Each member will select and purchase a favorite b..."

Hi Sylvia! Welcome to the group, so glad you've joined us! This is a cool idea, I'm currently doing something similar through Litsy, but there are just four to a group, and you mark-up your thoughts right in the book as you read (i know, gasp, right? haha) vs having separate journal! We're all in US, so mailing a book is just $3.21 (media rate) which helps keep it reasonable to mail 4 times... It's so fun though!

I hope some members will be interested to do this with you. Maybe a smaller group/less time frame might appeal to more?

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments We have 4 groups of 12 readers already set and started. We need just three more people to finalize our 5th group. Interested?

message 4: by Jazzy (last edited Apr 19, 2019 12:46AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments This sounds like a great idea, but the price of posting would be a nightmare. I wonder if there's one for the UK only?

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments Jazz, we have 5 people from Canada and 1 from the UK (you would make 2), so we thinking about creating an online version of this idea. International postal rates are just too expensive. If you are interested, send me an email: sward7@gmail.com

message 6: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Yes I'm interested - especially an online one - Maybe Mion and Syndi would join us! Do you have any photos of some of the previous ones?

message 7: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Jazzy wrote: "Yes I'm interested - especially an online one - Maybe Mion and Syndi would join us! Do you have any photos of some of the previous ones?"

Yes please.

message 8: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments Jazzy wrote: "Yes I'm interested - especially an online one - Maybe Mion and Syndi would join us! Do you have any photos of some of the previous ones?"

Jazzy, I responded to your email.

message 9: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments Mion wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "Yes I'm interested - especially an online one - Maybe Mion and Syndi would join us! Do you have any photos of some of the previous ones?"

Yes please."

Mion - send me an email with your location (city, state, country, etc) and the novel that you would like to have included in your groups list. Once we have all 12, we will email all the instructions to the group, along with titles. My email: sward7@gmail.com

message 10: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Sylvia wrote: "Mion wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "Yes I'm interested - especially an online one - Maybe Mion and Syndi would join us! Do you have any photos of some of the previous ones?"

Yes please."

Mion - send me an..."

I'll take some time to pick out the novel. If I haven't emailed you by Monday, feel free to remind me.

message 11: by Jmarie (new)

Jmarie | 2 comments This does sound like fun

message 12: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 10 comments This sounds really cool!

message 13: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments Jmarie - you are all set up.

Nikki - I'll send you a message with details.

message 14: by Jmarie (new)

Jmarie | 2 comments happiness

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3 comments If I'm counting correctly, you have filled up the 5th group. If you are still in need of another person, do let me know as I am intrigued by this idea!

Perhaps once you're finished setting up the groups for this round you can post accordingly for other people like me finding the thread later?

message 16: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments We just created our 12th group today and have about 5 more members waiting for the next group. We will continue to group members for as long as there is interest. Each group works independently from the rest, so starting dates are based on when your group is created.

I'm sending you a private message with all the details.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3 comments Awesome, thanks for the info!

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie Vaughan | 1 comments I'm reading the Divergent series and the fault in our stars

message 19: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments I'm really sad that I had to opt out in the end. The books my group had chosen are all pretty much impossible to get here and way more costly to get than I had expected. While I have nothing against buying books, international shipping can take months...

message 20: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments We are very sad to lose you too, Mion. We changed rules for International group so that only letters are being mailed each month. But when we all must read books from different countries, sometimes it creates a challenge.... But we are working around issues as they arise. Stay in touch.

message 21: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments We have another round of groups starting in June, if anyone is interested. We successfully created 12 groups (with 12 members each) in the U.S. and another 3 groups (with 6 members each) in our International group. Post below, send me a message here, or email me at sward7@gmail.com if you are interested in joining.

message 22: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I can't buy them either Mion, I would have preferred not to have to post anything either. I don't know why we can't just take photos of our letters and share in email either. I'm afraid the post won't go around the world fast enough.

message 23: by Tiina (last edited May 09, 2019 10:40AM) (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Jazzy wrote: "I can't buy them either Mion, I would have preferred not to have to post anything either. I don't know why we can't just take photos of our letters and share in email either. I'm afraid the post wo..."

I wouldn't even mind sending the letters, if I could access the books somehow. Right now, my library has only one of the books (excluding mine) and none of my local bookshops have any of these books either. I did some maths and buying the books would not only cost me a fortune, but there's also a chance they won't even arrive for me to read them when we're supposed to unless I pay another fortune for the shipping!

message 24: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments We have been resolving some of these issues - I'm going to send you a message.

Next round - after 6 months - we are going to survey all the members and make changes based on recommendations.

But so far, it's been a very positive experience.

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Braithwaite (shazbook) | 3 comments Hi Sylvia just checking you got my interest in this.... I filled out a form about a week ago.... I'm happy to send international if there is no one in Australia

message 26: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Ward (sward7) | 18 comments Are you interested in a smaller Australian group where you each pick a book. Markup your comments directly into the group, and mail book to each other at the end of each month?