Play Book Tag discussion

The Huntress
This topic is about The Huntress
Archive: Other Books > The Huntress by Kate Quinn -- 5 stars + ♥

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments The Huntress by Kate Quinn
5 stars + ♥

WWII historical fiction featuring heroic women who deserve to have their names known seem to be my jam lately. And, you can add The Huntress to the list of books that do justice to these women and their stories.

The Huntress. Die Jägerin. Nazi war criminal. Murderer.

Three storylines come together around the search for a female war criminal who escaped prosecution by the Nuremburg Trials and seems to have escaped Germany all together. Nina Markova is a female Soviet navigator and pilot during WWII. She is part of the only all-female bomber regiment, the Night Witches. She does not particularly care for Stalin, but she cares very deeply about flying and her flying siostras. Ian Graham and Tony Rodensky are Nazi hunters, determined to track down Die Jägerin and bring her to justice for the crimes she committed. Jordan McBride lives in Boston with her father, adjusting to life with her new step-mother Anna Weber and new step-sister Ruth. But, Anna and Ruth seem to be hiding something in their past.

This book was phenomenal. Even better than The Alice Network, I dare say. The characters were well-developed and I was truly surprised at how much I came to love and respect Nina. To me, she was the star of the show! Quinn wraps in other subtle themes as well, including increasing female independence and autonomy in the post-war years, journalism during WWII, the attempted rationale by Nazis to "explain" their horrendous crimes, the beginning of The Red Scare, and more. If there was one character that annoyed me a bit, it was Jordan. She was young, just a teenage through early 20s, but she was fairly naive and opinionated. She was too over-the-top at times.

Perhaps the best part of the book though was the Author's Note, which was not included in the audio, so I had to track down a hardcopy to read it! Quinn explains the real-life basis for Die Jägerin, the Night Witches, and Nazi hunters. These characters were based on real people, or a compilation of a couple of real people, and, despite how much WWII historical fiction and non-fiction I have read, I learned something new.

Kate Quinn is firmly ensconced on my list of authors to watch and I highly recommend this book to others who like this genre!

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7252 comments Really looking forward to reading this one! Great review

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8297 comments Give me a week Joanne, and I’ll send it to you!

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7252 comments Amy wrote: "Give me a week Joanne, and I’ll send it to you!"

Thanks, I may get it from the library, I doubt it though, still lagging at #4 on the list-don't rush on my account though, no way I will get to it this month. If I do get it from you, is there someone else behind me that I can send it to? It will be the pass around book of PBT! Compliments of Rachel-so if anyone else out there would like to get in line, postage is on me!

message 5: by Moke (new)

Moke | 51 comments Sounds really good!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It’s so great when you get a five star read!

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1952 comments I have this waiting for me at the library and can't wait to pick it up, especially after reading your great review.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8297 comments I am 12 pages in, and am gripped and intoxicated! I’m calling five stars now, and I’m not even past 2%!

message 9: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5516 comments I've been unsure about reading this, but it looks like I will have to bump it off my radar list and move it up.

message 10: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2214 comments I’m looking forward to this one too - not next month from the look of the tag options lol

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Lol Kate!

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 783 comments I hope to read this soon!