What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Beautiful Bodies
This topic is about Beautiful Bodies
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 90s fiction. Woman waits for her friends to arrive at her New York apartment for a reunion, during a snowstorm or cold snap. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments 90s or early 2000s adult fiction, female author. Somewhat literary but not highbrow. I think the cover was pale pink or peach coloured.

The opening chapter/s were about a woman waiting for her high school or college friends to arrive at her apartment for a reunion. She lived in New York and it was very cold, so she was wondering if her friends would make it. I think there was some reference to a secret she was going to tell them, or an announcement she was going to make (possibly to do with pregnancy or childbirth?)

There may have been later chapters from the other characters' perspectives once they arrived at the apartment. They were all youngish, in their 20s or 30s, and all female. I think the group had drifted apart somewhat in the years before the reunion. There may have been one character who was conspicuously absent, or turned up very late.

I think a few people were keeping secrets or holding grudges against each other, which gradually came out during the course of the book. It wasn't very dramatic though - no big fights or violence, just a lot of feelings coming out.

Any help with this appreciated. It's not The Reunion by Amy Silver although it has some similiarities.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34449 comments Mod
Rachel, where is their old college/university located (US region/big city/small town)? What were the women studying? Were they rich/poor?

Can you tell us more about the women in the present time - how many, their ages, jobs/skills/interests, marital status/kids, etc.?

Not a murder mystery?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments Hi Kris. Unfortunately I can't remember a lot of these details. I would describe the women as middle class, maybe on the wealthy side. There were about 4 or 5 of them, and they were in their late 20s or 30s at the time of the reunion.

I think some were doing better than others in terms of career success; some were married with children but not all. The differences in their circumstances may have caused some resentment. I think the woman who arrived late or didn't show up was going through some kind of crisis.

It's not a murder mystery, just general fiction.

Not sure if these details really add anything since my memory is so vague, but it's been 15+ years since I read the book.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments New York friend reunion bump

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments Found it! By total coincidence I came across the book on goodreads, while looking at the "readers also enjoyed" for another book.

It's Beautiful Bodies by Laura Shaine Cunningham.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34449 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Rachel. Thanks for the update.