HOMESONG Book Club discussion

Quotes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments Love this quote from page 104-

We are showered every day with gifts, but they are not meant for us to keep. Their life is in their movement, the inhale and exhale of our shared breath. Our work and our joy is to pass along the gift and to trust that what we put out into the universe will always come back.

Share all your favs!

-Courtney

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 1 comments One quote that stuck with me at the beginning (page 8) was: From the very beginning of the world, the other species were a lifeboat for the people. Now, we must be theirs.

It’s so important to recognize the role we play on this earth and how we need to be better at taking care of her. Reading this quote set the tone for the way in which I read the rest of the book.

message 3: by L (new)

L | 4 comments Reminding this when i hold a sheet of paper:

“Stop and think what you’re holding. That ash tree was growing out there in that swamp for thirty years, putting out leaves, dropping them, putting out more. It got eaten by deer, hit a freeze, but it kept working year in and year out, laying down those rings of wood. A splint fallen on the ground is a whole year of that tree’s life and you are about to step on it, grind it into the dirt? That tree honored you with it’s life.”...

“Whatever you do, you owe that tree respect and should never waste it.”

“Take only what you need and use everything you take.”

page 148 // a black ash basket

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 1 comments I was trying to comment on the posts, but I love the two quotes mentioned above too. So eye opening and enlightening! They have really changed the way I look at things. I am loving this book!

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments Yes! I am now conscious of my paper usage and making every page “worth it”.

message 6: by L (new)

L | 4 comments Applicable to many lives in the Netherlands. Especially the elderly:

“As our human dominance of the world has grown, we have become more isolated, more lonely when we can no longer call out to our neighbors. It’s no wonder that naming was the first job the Creator gave Nanabozho.”

“Names are the way we humans build relationship, not only with each other but with the living world.”
—-

Page 208, 209 // in the footsteps of nanabozho: becoming indigenous to place.

—-

My thoughts: this last year i have been focusing more on connecting with my family and neighbors. Before I focused so much on work & partner that I felt a disconnection from friends, no time to talk to neighbors, no time to see my family.
I felt connecting with these people gave me joy. Giving back to them and being thankful of the relationship by meeting & providing help when needed gives me joy as well.

Now I wonder how it would be if the people living alone in the elderly homes, would name all things surrounding them. Al things that have been given to them by our planet. Their plants, their wooden closet, their woolen blanket..
“Names are the way we humans build relationship, not only with each other but with the living world.” -page 209

“What happens when we truly become native to a place, when we finally make a home?” - page 207
This is applicable to most elder people living in a home not theirs.

message 7: by L (new)

L | 4 comments If I could edit my post I would have written “I think this is applicable to many elder people living in homes that are not theirs.”
Because who am I to judge. Only have known a handfull of elder people...

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Swenson | 2 comments Page 124 holds one of my most favorite quotes yet:

“I sat once in a graduate writing workshop on relationships to the land. The students all demonstrated a deep respect and affection for nature. They said that nature was the place where they experienced the greatest sense of belonging and well-being. They professed without reservation that they loved the earth. And then I asked them, ‘do you think that the earth loves you back?’ No one was willing to answer that.

....”knowing that you love the earth changes you, activates you to defend and protect and celebrate. But when you feel that the earth loves you in return, that feeling transforms the relationship from a oneway street into a sacred bond.”

That right there really blew my mind and heart wide open. I’ve never thought that perhaps the earth loves us back, and what an amazing experience it is to even entertain the idea. What an amazing mother we’ve all been given. 🖤