Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > Picture Books - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5825 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Picture Book nominee, A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo, in May. The winner for this genre was I Am Enough. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I read I Am Enough and I wasn't overly impressed. I liked the concept and how inclusive it was, but it didn't seem like something children would love. It's more concepts that parents may want to instill in their children. My short review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'd like to check out Islandborn and maybe Lulu Is a Rhinoceros. We Don't Eat Our Classmates looks funny and like something children will enjoy. I'll have see which of these my library carries.

message 4: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I don't usually rate picture books here because I teach 2nd grade and I read so many of them to my class it would artificially inflate my READ list.
I do take the list and add the good ones to my classroom library.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Vicki Willis wrote: "I don't usually rate picture books here because I teach 2nd grade and I read so many of them to my class it would artificially inflate my READ list.
I do take the list and add the good ones to my ..."

I don't read many. I reviewed a couple, but I usually just don't add a read date. Then it doesn't apply to my yearly challenge at least. I'm not worried about my number of read books on my read shelf. I read many books that I didn't add on here before becoming a member so that number is off anyway.

I did add a read date for I Am Enough because I was doing a Choice Awards challenge and the different genres counted for something, so I needed a picture book to complete the challenge.

Have you read any of the nominees for last year? What did you think of them?

message 6: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 1997 comments Mod
Baby Monkey, Private Eye looks very cute. I might buy this one for my son.