Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > Historical Fiction - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5946 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Historical Fiction nominee, Where the Crawdads Sing, in May. The winner for this genre was The Great Alone. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I've read Where the Crawdads Sing and The Tattooist of Auschwitz. I enjoyed both, but neither made it to my favorites shelf.

I have quite a few I'd like to read from this genre.
The Great Alone
Next Year in Havana
The Clockmaker's Daughter
The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
The Tuscan Child

And maybe:
The Immortalists
The Summer Wives

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 6 comments Historical fiction is my favorite! I try to venture out to other genres but I always end up liking these the best. I loved “The Great Alone.”

From the nominees list, I would like to read “Where the Crawdad Sings,” “Next Year in Havana” and “My Dear Hamilton.”

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 14 comments I read Warlight last year and loved it! I notice however, that some people don’t like it.
I certainly want to read: Where the Crawdads Sing, The Great Believers , The Map of Salt and Stars and Transcription and everything else that falls into my lap:-)

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Where the Crawdads Sing was one of my favorites that I read this year. This is also one of my favorite genres. The Great Alone was another of my favorite books this year. I would say these two so far have been the best books that I have enjoyed this year so far. Both of them really moved me and engaged me into the story you felt the pain of the characters it was that good to me. i know others did not like as much. I hope you enjoy them as much as i did.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 87 comments Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres as well! I wish I had the time to try all of these!

I've read Where the Crawdads Sing and The Great Alone and loved both of them.

I also read The Tattooist of Auschwitz and liked it but was disappointed to read this after: https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...
but I guess the author did publish the book under fiction..so can't really be that upset.

I really want to read:
Fruit of the Drunken Tree
My Dear Hamilton
Next Year in Havana
The Great Believers
The Immortalists
Warlight

message 8: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments @Jenna Very interesting article about The Tattooist. Thanks for sharing!

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 116 comments I’ve already read Where the Crawdad sings and The Great Alone. Both were fantastic. I’ve also read The Immortalists, but I didn’t quite enjoy it.

I’d like to read Next Year in Havana, The Great Believers, Fruit of the Drunken Tree, and Warlight.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Vicki - What did you think of Sam Hell?

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Michelle wrote: "I’ve also read The Immortalists, but I didn’t quite enjoy it."

I wasn't a fan either

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
I'm interested in Next year in Havana.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy Robertson | 104 comments My Altima favorite genre. I’ve been waiting forever to get most of these for the library so I’m open. I read the Great Alone and it was fantastic.