What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness
This topic is about The Anatomy of Hope
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Autobiography of cancer doctor. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Duaa (duaazahi) | 2 comments I am not an english native speaker so at the time I wanted to improve my english i picked up this book from a supermarket randomly ( I know, nobody does that lol ... !! ) because I just thought it might be interesting. The cover seemed nice and I wanted to become a doctor at the time, so I liked the idea of reading a book about a doctor and his real stories treating cancer patients. I guess the place was in America. I don't know where exactly, also i remember vaguely that the doctor was Jewish?
I remember I loved the book alot, it was around 200 to 300 page? but it took me more than a month to finish because I had my dictionary propped up and i was being a nerd trying to learn all vocabulary. the doctor told stories from his own experience treating cancer patients. somewhere there was the word "Hope", i think in the title but not totally sure.
I don't remember more useful information unfortunately. I read it in 2009 but the book is older i think it was written in the last half of twentieth century.

message 2: by Mai (last edited Apr 16, 2019 06:16AM) (new)

Mai | 1151 comments It might be too recent but maybe The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness by Jerome Groopman? (published in 2003)
Found searching online so I don't know if he's jewish but there is "hope" in the title, it's a male author and he does talk about his cancer patients.

If it's not this one, do you remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by Duaa (last edited Apr 16, 2019 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Duaa (duaazahi) | 2 comments OMG..... YES it is!!!
Thank you soooo much! please be my friend <3
I think i got the feeling the book is old because the one i bought was old copy and i guess maybe the stories are before 2000.. let me reread to refresh my info.

this is the cover i remember.

I can't believe i got the answer so quickly, i should've posted in this group long time ago.. so thank you again!

The author is jewish actually, i just found an article he wrote: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...

it seems he is very smart and well versed on many topics. i think i will reread this book and read his other works like Your Medical Mind: How to Decide What Is Right for You and How Doctors Think.

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1151 comments I'm glad this is the book you were looking for! :-)