Play Book Tag discussion

The House at the Edge of Night
This topic is about The House at the Edge of Night
April 2019: History > The House at the Edge of Night, 4 stars, by Catherine Banner

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8136 comments Cross Posted to PBT Horizons - Italy

On and Island called Castellamare, off the coast of Italy, a village and its folk tales is told through most of a century. The Island is mostly untouched, throughout all the changes that are happening in the outside world. There are wars, there are financial changes, education, archeological and scientific advances, and this little island and fishing village persists on its own, impervious to the ways of the world. There is family community, and a bar/home called the House of the Edge of the Night. This bar/veranda is the spirit of the Island, and where everything in the town appears to begin and end. A beautiful story, told from the lens of family, the pull of the ocean, history interwoven into love.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7097 comments Glad you liked it Amy. I have about 60 more pages to go and I am wavering between 4 and 5 stars

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5295 comments I had to look your island up because I read a book in December which was about the Island of Ischia which is off the coast of Italy by Naples.

It was a great historical fiction, Love That Moves the Sun: Vittoria Colonna and Michelangelo Buonarroti, about real people.

message 4: by Anne ✨ (last edited Apr 19, 2019 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) I adored this book, especially the audio narration by Eduardo Ballerini - his voice and accents were so dreamy 💖

@Booknblues thanks for the rec, that book looks wonderful too!

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7097 comments Booknblues wrote: "I had to look your island up because I read a book in December which was about the Island of Ischia which is off the coast of Italy by Naples.

It was a great historical fiction, [book:Love That Mo..."

The Island in this story is fictional-I am nearly finished with it and debating my rating-it will all come down to how it ends

message 6: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5295 comments Joanne wrote: "The Island in this story is fictional-I am nearly finished with it and debating my rating-it will all come down to how it ends

I found the island when I looked it up so I don't think it is fictional, although I am sure the book is.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7097 comments Booknblues wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Island in this story is fictional-I am nearly finished with it and debating my rating-it will all come down to how it ends

I found the island when I looked it up so I don't thi..."

I found cities and and an ancient fort, but no island-do you have the link? I am just curious about it since I am reading it.

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5295 comments Joanne wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Island in this story is fictional-I am nearly finished with it and debating my rating-it will all come down to how it ends

I found the island when I looked i..."

I had a hell of a time finding what I had found the other day. I'm not sure if this is really the island. The last time I found it through a search of Castellammare. This time I finally gave up and looked at my history:

https://translate.google.com/translat...

I didn't realize at the time that it wasn't called Castellammare, its name is actually Scoglio di Rovigliano. Could this possibly be the Island?

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7097 comments LOL well thanks for looking again-I guess we will never know unless someone has been there, or is familiar with the area-I know when I researched a book for Italy and found this one on my TBR, I dug a little deeper and I know I read somewhere that the author used a common Italian name, but the Island itself was fictional-however, like you, I am having a hell of time finding it.

Also, in the story there are mentions of being to able to see Sicily in the distance, and the "prevailing" winds from Africa. If you look at this map https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sic..., there are not that many islands in between these two places.

PBT MONITORS-Love this Cultural Challenge-learning so much and so many good discussions!

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7097 comments I just left the author a post on her GR's page-let you know if she answers

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7097 comments Finally found the article which says it is an imaginary island
https://nationalpost.com/entertainmen...

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8136 comments Sometimes I’m caught up short - almost a little embarrassed about what I don’t pick up. Didn’t know it was imaginary. But I think it sort of makes me love it more!

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7097 comments Amy wrote: "Sometimes I’m caught up short - almost a little embarrassed about what I don’t pick up. Didn’t know it was imaginary. But I think it sort of makes me love it more!"

That's what I love about reading and sharing here-someone else always knows something new about the book!