Why Christianity? discussion

Major topics > Will we have the Bible in Heaven?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle | 469 comments Mod
Well, will we still have and read the Bible in Heaven? Some say “no”. I say “yes”.

message 2: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Great question, but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean when we die and go to heaven, or when Christ comes back at the second coming and beyond?

Actually, now that I think about it, I tend to think the answer is no, we don't have to but I'm not set in stone on it. The Bible points us to the Lord for salvation. When Christ returns at the second coming the Bible state "the whole earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord" (Habakkuk 2:14) and we will fellowship with Him (Isaiah 2:3). In eternity, we will dwell with God and Christ on the new heaven and earth (Revelation 21:1-3 - not heaven as we typically think about it).

However, I do believe the Bible (and some other books) will still be in existence. We will be able to learn all the things that led up to His death, resurrection and Lordship. But we will have instant access to Him to learn His complete will (Isaiah 65:24).

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Sequeira (elaine-sequeira) Interesting question!

My own personal thoughts on the Bible is that it is the story of man, essentially, his fall from grace, upliftment, subsequent fall and a continuation of the same cycle with each generation. Woven into the strands of the many books of the Bible, is the shining light of salvation history which becomes a moral guide and road map to Heaven.

It may seem simplistic to suggest through an analogy that when we've reached our destination, the map is irrelevant. But Heaven is it; our final destination. There's no going further to some place else. The Bible will have done its job and nudged us to where we needed to go. In Heaven we will remain in total ecstatic communion with the Creator and have no further need of the Bible.

message 4: by Rod (new)

In that case: God could have just made us in Heaven (similar to angels and their nature).

Good point: what does the journey count for?

Tyrone- a New Heaven and a New Earth.

message 5: by Rod (new)

We may spend the first 100 years understanding God’s Word. We’ve obviously confused it down here.

message 6: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "We may spend the first 100 years understanding God’s Word. We’ve obviously confused it down here."

Mankind is confused and/or lazy about the Bible. Too many feel that a Sunday morning appearance is enough. They spend more time studying politics and the like rather than really trying to learn what the Bible teaches.

The worst kind is those who know enough to mislead others about its message and often use politics to do it.

message 7: by Rod (new)

I hear ya. I’ve been working on the Bible for 40 years. I’m still learning something new every week. And I seldom learn this at church.

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - I hope everything's different in heaven, especially our largely inane discussions about Biblical "truisms".

message 9: by Rod (new)

Yes, God will thump you straight on His Book. Or both of us perhaps

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - I rather doubt if we'll be concerned with mortal manuscripts in heaven. I feel we'll have a whole new library for our different and improved consciousness, with a whole new (and higher) reality.

message 11: by Rod (new)

I think we will have much that is New. But the old will most likely be fully dealt with. I hope so.

message 12: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "I think we will have much that is New. But the old will most likely be fully dealt with. I hope so."

There will be no need for new stuff. We will live and reign with God and Christ. The scriptures would have been fulfilled. Paul says that prophecy, tongues, knowledge and the like will pass away (1 Corinthians 13:8).

message 13: by Rod (new)

Prophecy indeed fulfilled, tongues now useless, but WHAT knowledge exactly?

Apparently Heaven will have much that is new. From gravity to sunshine to North South East and West to geography to relationships, possibly even materials that don’t wear out. Even the Trinity fully revealed.

message 14: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone Wilson | 75 comments Rod wrote: "Prophecy indeed fulfilled, tongues now useless, but WHAT knowledge exactly?

Apparently Heaven will have much that is new. From gravity to sunshine to North South East and West to geography to rel..."

I do believe we will learn new things, but how much or how little is not known. The Bible says we see through a glass darkly, but then will will see clearly (paraphrased), so this suggests we will learn or know more. But the more relevant point (in my opinion) is we will be with God and Christ and thus be fulfilled.

Good question.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Well, folks - as a scientist, I know there are 2 natural laws as created by God. The laws of behavior as elucidated in Scripture and the laws of the Universe which are much harder to unscramble. Thus, when I arrive at my Mansion, I really would like unveiled what neither Einstein nor Stephen Hawkings could fully understand.

message 16: by Rod (new)

Well, Einstein and Hawkings both missed the obvious——- so I’m not sure how smart they were exactly.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - I have to agree with you on that point. While not a master of astrophysics and it's complexities, I do know cells and their attendant DNA which is also immensely complex. In addition there is a code. Brute force evolution may be capable of many changes but not of creating codes. Only intelligence can accomplish that. This, to my simple mind, implies a God as Creator.