Play Book Tag discussion

In a Dark, Dark Wood
This topic is about In a Dark, Dark Wood
Archive: Other Books > In a Dark, Dark Wood / Ruth Ware. 4.25 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8617 comments 4.25 stars

When Nora (Lee when she was growing up; both short for Leonora) is invited to the “hen party” (bachelorette party/stagette) of a friend from high school, a friend she hasn’t seen in 10 years, she wonders why she was invited. However, a mutual friend. Nina, decides to go, so Nora figures she’ll join them. This hen party is a weekend away in the woods in a glass house.

Chapters alternate between what happened at the hen party and Nora currently in the hospital, with a police guard outside her hospital room door, while she tries to remember what happened. Imagine her surprise when she overhears the word “homicide”!

I really liked this. It wasn’t go-go-go from the start, with the hen party and the set up there, but it was definitely enough to get me curious as to what was going on. Part-way through, especially with that glass house in the woods, it did get creepy in parts. Of course, it was easy to second-guess everything that went on, with Nora not really being able to remember what had happened. There was more history between Clair and Nora to delve into, as well.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3391 comments It's been a while since I read this, but I remember enjoying it except wasn't to keen on the ending... Still a good read and Ware is a master of atmosphere.

She has a new one coming out later this year I am excited to snatch up upon release, The Turn of the Key.

LibraryCin | 8617 comments So far, I've only read this one and "The Woman in Cabin 10", but I will be reading more. Thanks for the notice on the new one coming!

message 4: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3391 comments LibraryCin wrote: "So far, I've only read this one and "The Woman in Cabin 10", but I will be reading more. Thanks for the notice on the new one coming!"

How was The Woman in Cabin 10? I haven't read that one yet.

Theresa | 7401 comments Meli wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "So far, I've only read this one and "The Woman in Cabin 10", but I will be reading more. Thanks for the notice on the new one coming!"

How was The Woman in Cabin 10? I haven't r..."

I really liked it even though it was flawed. I like the way this author takes classic mystery and thriller plots and both modernizes them and turns them on their head. The Woman in Cabin 10 is basically a Locked Room/Isolated Mansion mystery. But it has a very modern feel to it, and a bit of a twist. She also writes a bit tongue-in-cheek about some things, which I appreciate - it's the Black Irish Humor in me.

message 6: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3391 comments Did you read The Death of Mrs. Westaway?
Absolutely loved it and similar to what you are saying - classic mystery / thriller plot modernized and turned on its head. Great atmosphere, kickass female lead.

Theresa | 7401 comments Meli wrote: "Did you read The Death of Mrs. Westaway?
Absolutely loved it and similar to what you are saying - classic mystery / thriller plot modernized and turned on its head. Great atmosphere..."

Not yet but I have it in a pile by the couch. Too many books too little time. work is getting in the way!

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2223 comments This was my first Ruth Ware book and I listened to the audio. It was really creepy and mysterious. I've read the others and they were fine but I think the audio is what made this my favorite.

LibraryCin | 8617 comments Meli wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "So far, I've only read this one and "The Woman in Cabin 10", but I will be reading more. Thanks for the notice on the new one coming!"

How was The Woman in Cabin 10? I haven't r..."

I really liked it, as well. I think I gave it 4.5 stars? I think there were a few people who weren't as enamoured as I was, but I thought it was really good! Very creepy first chapter, if I remember correctly, and I love cruises, so that setting helped. :-)

LibraryCin | 8617 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "This was my first Ruth Ware book and I listened to the audio. It was really creepy and mysterious. I've read the others and they were fine but I think the audio is what made this my favorite."

Oh, that's good to know. Maybe I'll see if my library has an audio books by her...

LibraryCin | 8617 comments Ahhh, no audios, just ebooks. But two more I can add (including "The Death of Mrs Westaway" as mentioned above!

message 12: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3391 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Meli wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "So far, I've only read this one and "The Woman in Cabin 10", but I will be reading more. Thanks for the notice on the new one coming!"

How was The Woman in Cabin 10..."

I really loved the protagonist. A lot of the leads in mystery / thrillers are weak, drunk, unreliable in some way or another and you could totally get on board with the female lead of The Death of Mrs. Westaway.

message 13: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Dang she keeps churning out new books! I've still only read The Woman in Cabin 10, but I feel like I'll enjoy all of her books that have come out since.