Eliza and Her Monsters Eliza and Her Monsters discussion

Let's talk about Eliza and mental illness among teens-adults

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

SpiderQueen I have just a handful of pages left in this book. I just want to take a quick break from it to bring up some questions that I feel will be good for discussion seeings as this book hits on topics that teenagers deal with on a daily basis, I mean I graduated 9 years ago in 2010 and even I relate to so much of what Eliza goes through because I was much like Eliza when I was a 16-17 year old high school student as I'm sure several of you were also.

Okay so without further ado

1. Do you feel that Eliza's "Monstrous Sea" helps her with her depression because it allows her to escape her reality OR do you feel that it unknowingly to her pulls her deeper into the depression because of the amount of pressure she's under to finish the pages/chapters by a certain day to keep her fans happy? Why/Why not? What are some other opinions you have on this?

2. When Eliza started Monstrous Sea it was a hobby, but that hobby has now turned into a full time job for a young 17 year old girl. Do you feel that Eliza loses her love of the webcomic or do you feel she loves it still however is just stressed out by it? Eliza & Wallace often talked about doing what you love and many times the phrase "whats the point of doing something if you don't love it?" which is around the time Eliza starts to focus more on how her reality may not be all that bad and she actually gets behind in her webcomic then gets extremely stressed out when she disappointed her fans with the one page that was published a few hours later than usual. How do you feel about the fans reactions to her late submission?

3. Do you agree/disagree with how much time Eliza spends on the computer? How do you feel about her reaction/complaints about her family? Were you like Eliza and had an addiction to being on your computer/phone/messenger all day and night and avoided family time as a result? At what point do you feel this becomes unhealthy? Perhaps the amount of time she spent on her computer/phone contributed to her panic attack later on when people found out who she was because perhaps that happened because now, people could actually come straight to her and she would never escape "LadyConstellation" where before Eliza & Lady Constellation were two separate people per say.

4. How do you think Wallace helped Eliza in the story if you even feel he helped her at all and, how do you feel she helped him? Obviously both teens have their fair share of troubles but, do you feel they're right for one another in a sense that they create a healthy balance for the other?

5. Do you feel that the events/feelings/pee pressure/family etc is relevant to our every day life? Do you see any of that in yourself, your friends, etc?

Anything else you guys would like to add/comment on?

SpiderQueen ****UPDATE****
I have finished the book!

Okay so now that I finished the book, I have more questions for you guys to answer/debate on.

1. Do you think Eliza's parents were wrong to post in the graduation forum? Why/Why not?

2. Any thoughts on how Wallace treated Eliza about pressuring her to finish the Monstrous Sea so HE could publish his book? Do you feel he was truly interested in her finishing the comic or just interested in his book deal? I feel he was only interested in the book deal and in this particular scene felt that Wallace was being 100% selfish. But you guys may feel differently.

3. What about how her brother's stood up for her and then how she started to come out of her shell more? Any thoughts?

Emily SpiderQueen wrote: "I have just a handful of pages left in this book. I just want to take a quick break from it to bring up some questions that I feel will be good for discussion seeings as this book hits on topics th..."

I think MS started as a way for eliza to escape her depression/anxiety but because she put so much pressure on herself it eventually ended up making it worse but she couldnt see it.
I also thought Wallace's reaction was completely shitty but given the emotional competence of teenage boys, realistic. He knew her anxieties and could have been way more receptive to them.

SpiderQueen Emily wrote: "SpiderQueen wrote: "I have just a handful of pages left in this book. I just want to take a quick break from it to bring up some questions that I feel will be good for discussion seeings as this bo..."

I absolutely agree! I was so mad at him for how he treated her and practically made her finish MS. I know in the end she's happy that she did but I think it just took such a huge toll on her mental health and, like you stated, I just feel that even though his reaction was realistic, he should have been more supportive and should have encouraged her to do what SHE wanted to do not what he and the fans wanted of her.

Emily EXACTLY.

but Eliza's brothers were so cute and supportive and i wish that there had been more interaction between them as siblings. Them coming to her defense because they knew she never would do that for herself cleared my skin. I love sibling relationships when they are done well and i wish there was more to theirs in the book

hawin SpiderQueen wrote: "I have just a handful of pages left in this book. I just want to take a quick break from it to bring up some questions that I feel will be good for discussion seeings as this book hits on topics th..."

hi :) as a young adult who also deals with depression i think that doing art was an escape for Eliza. It was pretty clear that she loved it a lot and enjoyed drawing. It made her happy and kept her busy, like a distraction.