Horror Aficionados discussion

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
This topic is about The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
Off Topic > Notre Dame de Paris

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 301 comments All fans of horror will mourn the destruction of the great edifice of Notre Dame, home of the hunchback, Quasimodo.

I always wanted to visit this magnificent historical monument. *sigh*

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2359 comments It hurt to see that.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1388 comments Back in the fall of 1995, I was a freshman at Pitt. My elective course was History of Architecture. The professor was a huge fan of Gothic, so we spent a week and a half studying cathedrals like Chartes and Notre Dame du Paris. People think that Gothic is about darkness, but everything in those cathedrals is designed to increase the amount of light. Ever since then, I have wanted to stand inside Notre Dame and watch the the sun light up those stained glass windows.

Her foundations were begun in 1163, just 97 years after the conquest of England by William the Bastard. She was completed in 1345. She survived constant wars, the Papal Schism, the Protestant Reformation, the Terror, the Paris Gun, and the Nazis. Now she has been gutted by some careless accident.

I ache.

WendyB  | 2806 comments Mod
Ekel, I don't like seeing your post. This isn't about nationalities, it's about history being lost.

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2359 comments Ekel wrote: "However, I am calmed to hear human lives were lost in this tragedy."

You mean no lives right? Or at least that’s true so far, I heard there were 400 firefighters trying to save it.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments This is too sad 😕

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments My thoughts are with all those who are feeling the loss of this tragedy, and I'm sending all my Aroha to you from Christchurch New Zealand.

Any mods maybe want to flag the comment 4 up from mine?

message 8: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 122 comments Watching the spire burn was heart-wrenching. Thinking of all that is lost makes me so sad for the citizens of France and the world.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6740 comments I heard that the president wants to rebuild which I hope does happen.

message 10: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments The donations are coming in for the rebuild.

REF: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-fra...

and

REF: https://twitter.com/PlummerWilliam/st...

300M Euros and growing.

message 11: by Marie Helene (last edited Apr 16, 2019 04:45AM) (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Ekel wrote: "I am German. The French were always our arch enemies and the fucks are and were always in rightful deserve of a decent Wehrmacht ass whipping, but the loss of Notre Dame is indeed very sad. However..."

Ekel, have the decency to edit or delete your post.

message 12: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 1388 comments Everyone has an opinion. Sometimes they can be awkward in expressing that opinion, and sometimes their opinions are crap. Owing to my own social failings I usually choose a charitable reading when such questions arise. Though it is odd that Ekel chose Wehrmacht instead of Bundeswehr. That's the sort of thing that tends to upset the current German government.

message 13: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 301 comments The good news is, the vault held up and most of the damage was confined to the outer roofing and central spire. In other words, bad as the damage was, it looked worse than it was--but it was a close call.

Ekel, are you serious?? If you're joking, it's not funny.

message 14: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1863 comments That horrid comment above was flagged. Whether it is inappropriate for Goodreads or not; I will let them deal with that crap.

NOW, on to wonderful memories.

We visited Notre Dame back in 1994, while stationed in Mannheim, GE. Back then, we could travel between countries for about $60-100 for a day trip, including tours, entry, etc. We took my then 5 year old daughter, who loved every inch of it. She felt proper and sophisticated. I had just found out I was pregnant, and the walking just did me in; but walking into Notre Dame was just such an exceptional experience. So quiet, peaceful and absolutely gorgeous. I still have pictures. We were able to take a boat ride to view it from the river, too.

Me and the hubs both stated that we were so glad that we got to see it as is.

@Perry; so glad that it was only the spire and roofing; but I hate that it happened to any portion.

message 15: by Mort (new)

Mort | 25 comments Ekel wrote: "I am German. The French were always our arch enemies and the fucks are and were always in rightful deserve of a decent Wehrmacht ass whipping, but the loss of Notre Dame is indeed very sad. However..."

Ekel, we live in a broken world, but every human being should have the right to be judged on merit, regardless of age, sex, race, nationality or religion.
For example: You started with "I am German" and I didn't automatically think you were a humorless Nazi. It wouldn't be fair to any German if the rest of the world thought like that.
And even after your statement, if anybody were to call you an ignorant, insensitive, prejudiced, narrow-minded cunt, I would be the first to say that such a statement is unfair.
Cunts can still be useful.
Maybe if you opened your mind you wouldn't have such a hard time getting that psychology degree...

message 16: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
i deleted it. i'm still not sure what happened but it breaks my heart all the same. so much history that we'll never get back.

damn it y'all. play nice!

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Mort wrote: "Ekel wrote: "I am German. The French were always our arch enemies and the fucks are and were always in rightful deserve of a decent Wehrmacht ass whipping, but the loss of Notre Dame is indeed very..."

Mort! I must protest at your use of the word 'cunt'. I, like about 50% of the rest of the world's population, am a proud owner of one of those. Cunts are warm and soft (and super-sensitive) and, I'm pretty sure, used and admired by approximately the other 50% of the world's population (give or take a few lovely exceptions). Cunts help babies come into the world, regardless of race, religion or nationality, and, when not on baby-producing duties, are really fun to play with (so says my gorgeous hubby).

Instead, we should pity narrow-minded individuals, and send good vibes or prayers for their poor misguided souls. After-all, struggling undergrad fucktards need love too.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 16, 2019 01:56PM) (new)

Now that is a lovely sentiment. The world needs more cunts!

Fingers crossed the rebuilding efforts are successful. I loved the place when I visited it.

message 19: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 1913 comments Well said, Melanie.

message 20: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 694 comments Peace and good vibes 🙃

Good news: the Great Organ has escaped the flames (but not the water); then President Macron wants Notre-Dame to be rebuilt within 5 years (?🙄?)

So let's go Bach to the future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2uuE...

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Hey, folks....can we tone down the language a little?

I know how everyone feels, but we are a diverse group, and certain words are still offensive.

Thanks for your consideration and future restraint.

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 16, 2019 04:19PM) (new)

Marie Helene wrote: "Peace and good vibes 🙃

Good news: the Great Organ has escaped the flames (but not the water); then President Macron wants Notre-Dame to be rebuilt within 5 years (?🙄?)

So let's go Bach to the f..."

5 years! I admit to knowing nothing about architecture and construction but that feels... ambitious? I'd love to be wrong though.

That youtube link you posted was fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "Hey, folks....can we tone down the language a little?

I know how everyone feels, but we are a diverse group, and certain words are still offensive.

Thanks for your consideration and future restra..."

Sorry Jon. Me 'n' Mort will go sit at the back of the bus.

message 24: by Char (new)

Char  | 13655 comments Mod
Melanie, you cracked me up with all that. :)

I know the C word isn't as taboo overseas as it is here.

P.S. Hate speech against entire groups of people, (such as Ekel's post) won't be tolerated here, which is why Latasha took the reins and deleted it.

message 25: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10650 comments Mod
Melanie, I’ll sit with you if you wanna compare our reading list 🤓

message 26: by Mort (new)

Mort | 25 comments I apologize profusely, it was a knee-jerk reaction.

And I swear I feel guilty about giggling when I read Melanie's post.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I shall also try and keep the c-bombs to a minimum...

I cannot echo Mort's promise of guilt about laughing at Melanie's post though :)

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Yeah, sorry everyone. It's honestly a word I never use, however my biggest weakness is my total lack of tolerance for any kind of bigotry, particularly racism, and after Christchurch's recent terror attack, my filter's a little broken.

On the up side though, Here's To Vaginas!! Enjoyed by all regardless of race, religion or even gender :) :) :) And Here's To the Rebuild of another beautiful Icon, The Notre Dame.

message 29: by Jon Recluse (last edited Apr 17, 2019 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
I'll admit, Melanie's post was epic.

I may share it with my family this Easter...

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 6740 comments Jon Recluse wrote: "I'll admit, Melanie's post was epic.

I may share it with my family this Easter..."

Ha!

message 31: by Cosmic (last edited May 07, 2019 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cosmic Arcata | 4 comments My name is Cosmic. I was/am interested in commenting on the The Hunchback of Notre-Dame thread. I moderate the thread Breaking the Code To The Catcher In The Rye. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Although i don't think all books are written the same way, i thought it would be interesting to read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame as if their was a "message" in it.

When i did this for the Catcher In The Rye i read all the books, watched all the movies and read the books that inspired the movies. I was reading some history to The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. Victor Hugo, along with Lord Rothschild, wish to raise money and have the cathedral restored. I believe it was. During this restoration work that the spire that burned had been added. Meaning that it was not part of the original design. See wiki.

Anyway i had not thought about this book being in the genre of horror before joining your group.

So i have been reading the first two chapters for a couple weeks. Not really the most interesting ones when i read this book the first time more than ten years ago.

Today, for me they transcend time and take on new meaning. " Victor Hugo believed that of all men, the poet was the one that would lead all humanity toward perfection." This is on the front end of the audible by Recorded Books.

12 minutes into the first chapter Hugo talks about a fire to get rid of documents in 1618. "Great Events Have Incalculable Results"
He speculates on two causes for the fire. One a commet. The other by a poet.

Second, Theophile's
This quote from kindle "complete works of Victor Hugo"
Sure, twas but a sorry game
When at Paris, Dame Justice,
Through having eaten too much spice,
Set the palace all aflame."

This is from the Recorded Books:
In Paris, Sure was a sorry game
When fed too fat with fees
Dame Justice burst with flame,
And burned her palace down.

Anyone who has read Bleak House can understand this!

But there is more in these two chapters (and I am sure in the book, but this is as far as i have gotten reading it critically)

Just wanted to wet you appetite for this old classic.

message 32: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 301 comments Cosmic wrote (on the Introductions thread): "Anyway i had not thought about this book being in the genre of horror before joining your group. I will write more in the thread."

I thought this would come up at some point. Myself, I have a broad definition of horror, including pretty much anything about monsters, like LOTR, King Kong, and Doctor Who.

Quasimodo, with his "deformations", meets most people's qualifications as a monster the same as Erik the Phantom. Both works, I will note, have been included in the horror genre by Famous Monsters of Filmland and the Aurora models.

In a prequel I wrote, I give an explanation as to how Quasimodo came to be such a creature.

Furthermore, there's the fantastic villain, Frollo, who accuses Esmeralda of witchcraft and another character of alchemy--so he can steal the alchemist's secrets!

Heck, the entire Medieval Period is pretty horrifying.