2020 SQHS Your Literate Life - BOOK REVIEWS ONLY discussion

J.J. Watt: The Inspiring Story of One of Football’s Greatest Defensive Ends (Football Biography Books)
This topic is about J.J. Watt
J.J. Watt: The Inspirational Story Behind One of Football's Greatest Defensive Players - Clayton Geoffreys

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 11 comments J.J. Watt: The Inspirational Story Behind One of Football's Greatest Defensive Players
Reviewed by Trevor Perry

This book is a biography of the American football player J.J. Watt. The book starts with his childhood and follows his life chronologically. It talks about everything from his childhood to his current playing career up to 2014 with interesting facts along the way. This includes his high school career, college career, and his journey to the National Football League all in a short easy to read life story.

The book did a good job fitting an overview of Watt’s life story into a short book. However I think some of the details were unnecessary if it was indeed going for an overview/quick read sort of book as implied by the shorter length of only around 100 pages. For instance when the book talked about his NFL career it went game by game giving the reader Watt’s individual stats for each game, which can be boring and tedious to read. I would have rather seen his stats season by season with relevant or impactful games highlighted in the text. Another problem I have with this book is I feel the book was written too soon. Watt is still playing in the NFL and might continue for another five plus years. In writing the book too soon it leaves out important things that have happened since its publishing in 2015, such as his injuries in 2016 and 2017 and his raising of over 40 million dollars to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey in 2018. Reading this book in 2019 I expected to learn more about these things but I was sadly mistaken. That being said that makes this book an inaccurate representation of Watt’s life. This is not necessarily the authors fault I just think it makes more sense to write a biography on someone at least after they have retired.

message 2: by Oleh (new)

Oleh | 19 comments I'm totally agree with you, If one is writing a biography about someone, it should be a series of books, not just one book. Everything is happening throughout your life, and it is impossible to fit everything in a couple of hundreds of pages. I hope, that the next part of this book will be published soon because, according to your review, it feels like very interesting story, I mean, the biography.

message 3: by Trevor (new)

Trevor | 11 comments Oleh wrote: "I'm totally agree with you, If one is writing a biography about someone, it should be a series of books, not just one book. Everything is happening throughout your life, and it is impossible to fit..."

That's a good idea. If the author wrote a second book, it would definitely be more interesting than the first one.