Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Notre Dame :(

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5521 comments So very sad to see that Notre Dame is burning and the spire has collapsed.

That was the last thing I was expecting to see today in the news.

message 2: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 365 comments It’s just so incredibly sad 💔 Centuries of history in flames.

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5521 comments Hilde wrote: "It’s just so incredibly sad 💔 Centuries of history in flames."

I know. I can't help but tear up about it.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments Such heartbreaking news- I hope no one was hurt.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6930 comments I hope no one was hurt. The spire has collapsed and fallen.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments I have been glued to the TV since shortly after noon (Central Daylight Time). I am just stunned.

It seems that the rose windows are gone, not to mention all the artwork inside. The latest is that they MIGHT be able to save the bell towers, but it actually does not look promising. The French govt has actually said that the Firefighters may not be able to save it.

One commentator remarked, "What we basically have now is a stone box full of fuel." The timbers that had supported those outside walls are all gone now, and the walls may collapse.

Just heartbreaking.

message 7: by Karin (last edited Apr 15, 2019 02:12PM) (new)

Karin | 6930 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I have been glued to the TV since shortly after noon (Central Daylight Time). I am just stunned.

It seems that the rose windows are gone, not to mention all the artwork inside. The latest is that ..."

I thought that they saved some of the art. Do you mean they weren't able to get any out, or that any left in there is gone? Certainly all artwork painted right on the walls is lost forever.

My son is very sad because of it importance in music history. BUT, at least we have all of that music!

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments I don't know that they were able to get anything out ... other than the people.

Latest news is that they believe they HAVE saved the basic stone structure, and certainly the towers.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7255 comments So very very sad-I had to walk away from the TV, too heartbreaking. I did return to listen as I made dinner-The structure it self is saved, but there had been no mention at all(at least on MSNBC) of the art that was inside-

message 10: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5014 comments It's heartbreaking. I was listening to Michelangelo and the Pope's ceiling in the car today and I was actually thinking about lighting the candles in Notre Dame when we were in Paris. Then I get home and see this. It's hard to look away when you see the pictures of the spire glowing red.

message 11: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments That wonderful building survived 350 years through two world wars. I am so sad about this wonderful and very significant historical marvel. I never got to see it and may never see it rebuilt in any way. :-(

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8303 comments So hard to conceive! My thoughts and prayers are with Paris tonight!

message 13: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8132 comments With regards to the artwork, I heard that much of it had already been removed due to the renovations that were happening.

So sad...

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments LibraryCin wrote: "With regards to the artwork, I heard that much of it had already been removed due to the renovations that were happening.

So sad..."

That would be wonderful.

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments News this morning confirms that much of the artwork / relics were able to be removed .... a "bucket brigade" line of police and firefighters actually hand-to-hand carried things out of the flaming building. WOW.

The Renault family has already pledged 200million Euros toward the rebuilding.

message 16: by Theresa (last edited Apr 16, 2019 01:38PM) (new)

Theresa | 6339 comments I did not hear about this until early evening yesterday when I came out of a day full of crisis management for a client, a condominium building which had a devastating fire 10 days ago. My mobile had blown up with texts and messages from friends and family asking if I'd heard that Notre Dame was on fire and potentially lost. To say I was shocked was an understatement. And the irony given what my legal work had been centered on all day! As I still had meetings to attend, I had to just push it aside until later.

My heart is shattered.

From a very young age, probably since Catholic elementary school in the 1960s, Notre Dame captured my imagination, was for me, alongside the Eiffel Tower, the symbol of Paris and its eternal beauty. From the time I was a teenager, I dreamed of visiting Paris and going to Notre Dame - for the Rose Window, the flying buttresses and the gargoyles. Of course, the gargoyles. Some of my passion was of course fed by Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame - some abridged version designed for kids.

That dream became a reality in January 1976 when I arrived in Paris for a semester abroad. My first order of business after checking in at the school and hotel was to walk over to see Notre Dame. I have photos from that visit as well as 1000s more as every single time I visit Paris, the first place I go is over to Notre Dame to say hello, that I'm back, and how happy I am to see it once again.

As a student in 1976, I spent a lot of time there - reading in the garden, attending the free Sunday organ concerts, admiring the art and relics, soaking up the beauty and tranquility inside, admiring the beautiful exterior lighting at night, climbing all the way to the upper most roof of the bell tower to hangout and read away the day with a gargoyle's view of Paris, and of course attending mass on Easter Sunday.

On my many returns to Paris, I repeated many of those same actions - although never again climbing all the way to the top of the bell tower! My sister and I managed in our 40s to get to gargoyle level but no further, LOL. I remember visiting Paris after the Disney version of Hunchback of Notre Dame was released, spending hours watching the tourist kids in the front plaza reliving moments from the movie, knowing that they too were enraptured by the magic that is Notre Dame. I have read and stitched sitting in the plaza out front and in the sanctuary garden in back. I watched how it changed as the stone's dinginess was washed clean (more than once) and again while scaffolding enfolded the towers during structural restoration work. I was back to admire it's refreshed beauty.

And I will be back there again while it is a shell, and when it is restored to its former beauty. Because it is the heart of Paris, and it beats still and always.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7255 comments Thank you for sharing your memories Theresa, you actually took me away to Paris for few minutes. Sadly, I have never been there-maybe one day.

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments Theresa,
Thank you so much for these memories. I am reminded of my one single visit to that marvelous cathedral.

Hubby and I were in Paris in February in the mid 1990s. It was rainy and cold and we were jet-lagged, so up early. We went for a morning walk and found ourselves at Notre Dame. We had heard the bells but intended only a brief visit.

But as we walked in we were immediately ushered in by a nun who briskly moved us forward to the trancept on the left (as you face the altar). High mass was beginning, and we were seated in the second pew from the front.

We were both raised Catholic and in the era of the Latin liturgy. So imagine our delight to be at a High Mass conducted in Latin! We could understand all of it (save for the homily, delivered in French). The music, the ceremony, the incense, the light ... oh, the light! We took communion and never felt closer to one another and to God than on that Sunday.

As we watched the coverage of the fire, Hubby and I talked about that magical Sunday when our jet lag took us to an 8:00 a.m. High Mass that we didn't even know was about to happen.

We are devastated by the destruction. But remain hopeful about rebuilding (though we likely won't live to see it completed).

message 19: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4916 comments How lucky you are to have those memories, and thank you for sharing them! I hope one day to visit Paris, but it doesn't seem likely.

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments If I heard the news feed correctly .... Macron has stated that the rebuild will happen within 5 years! Wonderful news. But makes me wonder where they'll get the craftsmen (and women) to do this.

I'm sure it will be steel support rather than "the forest" .... I really mourn the loss of those timbers.

message 21: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Great to hear the memories surrounding this building, it's insane that 30,000 people a day visit it. Ironically I was at a conference, and the panel going when my phone started blowing up with texts about this was "Crisis and Disaster in Tourism". I almost couldn't believe the photos of the fire.

To get on a side-note soapbox: I think it's really important that people put more emphasis on experiences versus material things. Travel is a huge part of my life, and because of this I visited the Notre Dame two years ago. Yes, it is an investment but it is 100% worth it. These memories, pictures, experiences- they are what we remember and value just as much as the physical pace itself. I think too many people I know IRL think that travel is out of reach to them- but it is a lot to do with priorities. If you didn't go to those 10 concerts last year, or if you don't spend $7 a drink going out every weekend- you'd probably have more expendable income to travel and what the world has.

Apologies if this was preachy- as readers, I think many of us do value memories, experiences, the feelings we get when we read, and that definitely aligns with my travel thoughts.

message 23: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6930 comments Joanne wrote: "https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bees-n......"

Yes, I read about this.

It can be rebuilt in about 10 years--the French president is being ridiculous in saying 5. I heard that the very next day after the fire from an devout Catholic who is a top level engineer. One problem they have is the lack of virgin forests and tall oak trees. They may have to do things differently than simple recreate the original. BUT most of the stained glass windows are intact, which is a big help. Statues had already been removed for the renovation.

Like Joi, I don't have travel money and am not worried about flying to see it. I was in France when I was 3, but all I remember--I kid you not--was looking out of our hotel room window at the crazy traffic pattern (as compared with Canada or Germany--we were spending a year in Germany).

I personally am not one to travel just to see historic buildings, perhaps because I grew up in BC where no building was even 100 years old. We knew an elderly man who logged trees in what is now downtown Vancouver (he was old enough to be the father of my oldest grandfather and then some).

But it is something to think of such an old building that survived so many wars burning in an accidental fire.