Eqra'a discussion

Abandoned libraries

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hind (last edited Apr 15, 2019 12:44PM) (new)

Hind Marri (HindMarri) | 10 comments Mod
Why are people in the UAE not interested in visiting libraries? and how can we encourage them to do so?

message 2: by Ghoson (new)

Ghoson Taleb | 13 comments Mod
maybe because we dont have that much of electronics libraries and people used to go more electronic than before, like we find easier to read some news on our iPad instead of buying the newspaper in the early morning, else we like to read our book via laptops instead of walking into the library

message 3: by Manal (new)

Manal S | 17 comments Mod
I don't remember when was the last time i visited a library in Dubai and would love to go and see what improvement they have made to the place! I wish they do more activities like; launching books and inviting authors, different activities for kids and their families for example, reading majlis where group of people get together to discuss a book. If they do all of that and we don't know about then they need to work more on their marketing and advertise about their activities and facilities so people are encouraged to visit and discover more.

message 4: by Amram (new)

Amram | 4 comments There is minimal publicity about the new facilities and type of books (genres) available in Dubai libraries. I'm also contented that the digitization of books and adoption of e-libraries by most educational institution has decreased the visits to physical libraries.

message 5: by Amram (new)

Amram | 4 comments Ghoson wrote: "maybe because we dont have that much of electronics libraries and people used to go more electronic than before, like we find easier to read some news on our iPad instead of buying the newspaper in..."

This is true. Digitization is making print media obsolete

message 6: by Rima (new)

Rima Taleb (rima_taleb) | 8 comments seeking of digitization, it made our newspaper even disappear, so people wont bother to read some newspapers so of course after the digitization of libraries and books, people find it easier to read through iPad instead of visiting the library.

message 7: by Mahmoud (new)

Mahmoud | 9 comments for me a couldn't give up what my parents used to have and do at home to motivate us for reading, in 2019 I still have that small library at home and I keep updating read through books not through electronics staff such an iPad or laptops, when i have a chance I will let you guys have a look on my humble library through a picture attached here.
also I keep visiting the books fair that UAE keeps holding but as many of the participant in this discussion said that here in dubai we miss to have some great libraries.

message 8: by CozyCat (new)

CozyCat | 8 comments Mahmoud wrote: "for me a couldn't give up what my parents used to have and do at home to motivate us for reading, in 2019 I still have that small library at home and I keep updating read through books not through ..."

I would love to see pictures of your library Mahmoud!!(๑✧∀✧๑)

message 9: by Manal (new)

Mahmoud wrote: "for me a couldn't give up what my parents used to have and do at home to motivate us for reading, in 2019 I still have that small library at home and I keep updating read through books not through ..."

would love to see it Mahmoud :)

message 10: by Rawad (new)

Rawad Banat | 2 comments I believe we need to think more about what the common societal interests are and integrate them with the idea of visiting public libraries. I.e. creating an environment that encourages people to visit the library instead of wherever they usually “hang out”. For example, setting up popular coffee shops there, recruiting social media personalities to be seen reading books or being part of book groups in the library, inviting authors for book signing events.

message 11: by Boomchak (new)

Boomchak | 2 comments In my opinion people in the UAE dont visit libraries because they can access information from any device nowadays without going to any library , and with the technology advancing that fast in the world i think libraries wont stand a chance facing the high pace of information spreading everywhere , and to make libraries attract people we should infuse the technology into it , by modernizing the library halls with high tech instruments that make readers excited and motivated to experience it. for eg: if someone visits the library he gets 1 year free subscription into the library online website and he can access any book from it.
Or also making a Van that has different categories of books travel through the city giving people reading sessions that make them interested in visiting the library to look for more information.

message 12: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed | 4 comments as a local person in Dubai, why do I have to go so long to the library while I can read whatever I want from books, stories, articles and news on my iPhone or laptop. that is the concept which all people specially in modern cities that they consider actually. in addition we don't have that much big libraries which can attract people to visit.

message 13: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed | 4 comments Mahmoud wrote: "for me a couldn't give up what my parents used to have and do at home to motivate us for reading, in 2019 I still have that small library at home and I keep updating read through books not through ..."

would like to see it maybe will encourage me too someday :)

message 14: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed | 4 comments Boomchak wrote: "In my opinion people in the UAE dont visit libraries because they can access information from any device nowadays without going to any library , and with the technology advancing that fast in the w..."

exactly what I meant

message 15: by Fareeda (new)

Fareeda Mohamed | 1 comments the first reason that people in UAE are not visiting libraries is that they are not attractive, second the prices of the books are not reasonable they are so expensive even for buying or renting, third the limitation of the books , fourth the monopolization that there are many books that they are not available in libraries.

we can encourage visitors by controlling books' prices, to allocate the libraries in most active places in UAE, export more various of books.

message 16: by Mahmoud (new)

Mahmoud | 9 comments Fareeda wrote: "the first reason that people in UAE are not visiting libraries is that they are not attractive, second the prices of the books are not reasonable they are so expensive even for buying or renting, t..."

totally right !

message 17: by Rima (new)

Rima Taleb (rima_taleb) | 8 comments Fareeda wrote: "the first reason that people in UAE are not visiting libraries is that they are not attractive, second the prices of the books are not reasonable they are so expensive even for buying or renting, t..."

yes Fareeda, so many books are not available in our libraries. "Limitation"

message 18: by Ghoson (new)

Mahmoud wrote: "for me a couldn't give up what my parents used to have and do at home to motivate us for reading, in 2019 I still have that small library at home and I keep updating read through books not through ..."

good habbit Mahmoud keep it up ! would love to see when you have the chance

message 19: by Ghoson (last edited Apr 27, 2019 10:13PM) (new)

Fareeda wrote: "the first reason that people in UAE are not visiting libraries is that they are not attractive, second the prices of the books are not reasonable they are so expensive even for buying or renting, t..."

yeah, why to buy a very expensive book while you can get it for free online

message 20: by Mahmoud (last edited Apr 27, 2019 11:55PM) (new)

Mahmoud | 9 comments for the members who would like to see my humble library you can find it in the link below, also it matches with the community name Eqra'a :)

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/group...

message 21: by Rima (last edited Apr 27, 2019 11:56PM) (new)

Rima Taleb (rima_taleb) | 8 comments Mahmoud wrote: "for the members who would like to see my humble library you can find it in the link below, also it matches with the community name Eqra'a :)

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/group......"

omg thats cuteeee and really encourages me to read one of the books

message 22: by Ghoson (new)

Mahmoud wrote: "for the members who would like to see my humble library you can find it in the link below, also it matches with the community name Eqra'a :)

what a nice one, good one Mahmoud :)

message 23: by Hind (new)

Hind Marri (HindMarri) | 10 comments Mod
Boomchak wrote: "In my opinion people in the UAE dont visit libraries because they can access information from any device nowadays without going to any library , and with the technology advancing that fast in the w..."

Bookmchak that's such a great idea, a portable reading van/bus! we once had a lecture at uni where they told us that if you cannot bring people to you, you have to go to them. that's just the future of everything it seems like everything will come to us at the comfort of our own home!

message 24: by CozyCat (last edited Apr 28, 2019 03:26AM) (new)

CozyCat | 8 comments Rawad wrote: "I believe we need to think more about what the common societal interests are and integrate them with the idea of visiting public libraries. I.e. creating an environment that encourages people to vi..."

Thats a very smart way to look at it Rawad ヾ(^∇^) every one is always visiting the trendiest coffee shops and what celebrities are doing. that's just how todays society is ┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌

message 25: by CozyCat (new)

CozyCat | 8 comments In my opinion I think we should embed the love of reading from a young age. visiting libraries is just not something that our grandparents used to do, so I think there should be more collaboration between schools and libraries. for example, having libraries and schools be very close, having automatic subscriptions for students in schools, weekly visits to libraries, study sessions and teachers available to help students at libraries and so on..

message 26: by Manal (new)

Fareeda wrote: "the first reason that people in UAE are not visiting libraries is that they are not attractive, second the prices of the books are not reasonable they are so expensive even for buying or renting, t..."

I agree

message 27: by Manal (new)

Mahmoud wrote: "for the members who would like to see my humble library you can find it in the link below, also it matches with the community name Eqra'a :)

soooo nice and creative .. I really like it