International Book Club discussion

1 view
Paige's Book Progress > A Man Called Ove

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 635 comments Mod
I can tell already this book is going to be one easy read and that it is going to be very narrative. I am okay with that.

message 2: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

The writing is poor. I will say that. Not very descriptive but I also get the feeling it is intentional. There must be a reason why. But get the feeling I am reading a kids book.

message 3: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

damn. this book has heart felt moments.

if I had to describe it, it is like Marvel movies and comics. Makes you feel happy and good and then they plummet those emotions. then they raise you up from the ashes and repeat. Gosh such a rollercoaster.

message 4: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

41% done. got to say I am starting to really enjoy this book. took awhile to get into but there is something that keeps you reading. its sad but heart warming and makes you smile in parts.

message 5: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

They say this book is funny. Funny?
Sorry not in the slightest way where you laugh out loud with laughter. Actually not at all a good funny. I keep finding it a sad funny, a sorry funny. Funny is not I would describe this book to get readers to pick it up. Nope

message 6: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

I am not sure what to say about this book. It's not that I didn't like it but the fact that it repeats alot. Lots of sentences are repeated throughout the whole book. You don't understand why and not sure if it is deliberately placed there.

So let me tell you how I felt of this book.

When I first started this book about a week or so ago, I thought the writing to be pretty poor. Very short sentences and very nondescriptive. Yet there was something to keep me reading. Not sure what but there was. I came to really dislike the character of Ove because he is so depressive but had to appreciate him to. Even though he was so depressing, something kept him going. He never knew at the time what that thing was but something kept him going.

They say this book is quite comical. I can't help but to strongly disagree with that. It is slightly humorous in spots but not throughout the book. In fact the whole book is quite sad, can be very depressing.

When they say that the book gives a warm feeling, I have to agree with that only because it shows the power of those who care even if you do not.

When they say A Man Called Ove is unbearably moving, I agree. I found myself smiling in spots and crying at the end. It may be depressive but there is a greater meaning behind all the words and that is what makes it moving.

I would not rate this book 5 stars as it is not quite there. It does not need 4 stars but deserves better than 3 stars.

If you want a book that is extremely narrative with very little dialog, that makes you feel you are reading about a personal memoir, then pick up A Man Called Ove. You won't regret it.