Catholic Thought discussion

Gathering Space > Notre Dame in Paris aflame!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 1482 comments Mod
My heart is breaking.

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 161 comments I visited Notre Dame with my high school French class. I had a hope of visiting again as a priest and being able to offer Mass there. My prayer is that this wasn't an act of desecration like French churches have been experiencing over the last month or so.

message 3: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 4081 comments Mod
OMG. Was it terrorism? Do we know?

message 4: by Kerstin (new)

It's been under renovation with huge scaffolding, and just minutes after it closed for tourists for the night smoke was seen coming out of the structure.

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 636 comments It seems almost symbolic, occurring at the start of Holy Week: the cathedral collapsing mirrors the collapse of Catholicism in secular France. Maybe this tragedy will call the French people back to their true spiritual heritage.

message 6: by Manny (new)

Je vous salue, Marie, pleine de grâces, le Seigneur est avec vous; vous ętes bénie entre toutes les femmes, et Jésus le fruit de vos entrailles, est béni. Sainte Marie, Mčre de Dieu, priez pour nous pécheurs, maintenant, et ŕ l'heure de notre mort. Amen.

I am so saddened.

message 7: by Kerstin (new)

Joseph wrote: "I visited Notre Dame with my high school French class. I had a hope of visiting again as a priest and being able to offer Mass there. My prayer is that this wasn't an act of desecration like French..."

I was wondering about that too.

This is such a loss to all of Western Civilization.

message 8: by Nikita (new)

Nikita Unverzagt (abigaildarcy) | 45 comments I know I am new to the group, but I wanted to mentioned that there have been updates about Notre Dame. First, most (if not all) of the pieces and relics were saved. They mentioned that because the towers and bells were saved they know they can rebuild. It might take a few years, but praise the Lord it can be saved. They even said any of the stain glass thanks to technology can be restore to the original.

message 9: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 636 comments Thank you so much, Nikita. That's wonderful news. Welcome to the group!

message 10: by Manny (new)

Thank you Nikita. I was at my church Bible an hour ago and a woman said the same thing. I didn't believe her actually because I had not heard the latest news. Praise God!

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments Yes, it is wonderful that most of the art and relics were saved. Even more wonderful is that no one was killed or injured. History and art are treasures, but their loss is nothing in comparison to a single human life lost. Meanwhile two brothers, toddlers, were dilled when a tornado fell a tree on their car on Sunday. How tragic.

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 636 comments “Can you recall an event that didn’t involve the loss of a single life that has had a more powerful emotional effect on the world than the devastation of the cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris this week?
. . . What many of us witnessed tearfully this week was a metaphor for the civilizational struggle at the heart of our modern world — and this is a sentiment that goes beyond Catholic and even Christian Faith. The spectacle of the second most famous church in Christendom consumed by fire in this, the holiest of weeks for Christians, was for many as good a symbol of the collapse of a historic culture before the advancing flames of atheistic, multicultural relativism as any terrorist attack or act of malicious desecration. . .”

—. Gerard Baker, Editor At Large, The Wall Street Journal, April 20-21, 2019, page C2.

message 13: by Manny (new)

Frances wrote: "“Can you recall an event that didn’t involve the loss of a single life that has had a more powerful emotional effect on the world than the devastation of the cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris this w..."

Thanks Frances. I've been fighting this struggle for a while. I hope the fire may have opened the eyes of those who take our culture and faith for granted. It is disappearing before our eyes and people don't even realize it.