Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Night Tiger (5 stars)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moke (new)

Moke Yangsze Choo’s second book “The Night Tiger” is a wonderful blend of mystery, historical novel, romance and adventure set in Malaya (today called Malaysia). It is full of Chinese and Malayan mythology woven into the story of a group of people, mystically joined as they are each named after one of the Confucian virtues, who must come together to solve a mystery. In addition, they must return a missing finger to the body of a recently departed doctor, so his soul can move on. Lurking behind all of it, is a man-eating tiger (possibly a were-tiger) who is killing young women in the district. The book blends traditional Asian beliefs with British colonial life in 1930s Malaya. It is a quick and fun read and I recommend it to anyone looking for a lighter mystery. I also like that the author gives some additional information at the end about some of the myths in the book, as well as traditional Asian beliefs in numerology, etc. I will definitely be going back and reading Choo’s first book “The Ghost Bride” whose story – I believe – gets a quick mention in “The Night Tiger” as a spooky bit of gossip one character shares with another.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2943 comments It sounds good and this book has been tempting me. But, I didn't care for ghost bride. So, hmmm, your review does make it sound interesting. :)

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8854 comments Oh I am so excited to read this book! Your five star review raises it higher for me! This year for sure!

message 4: by Moke (new)

Moke I hope you both like it as much as I did!

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Hmmmm, I have debating this one since it was selected for Reese Witherspoon's book club. Your review has me officially adding it to the TBR!

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6004 comments I read The Ghost Bride and gave it 3 stars - a decent debut but it didn't blow me away. I heard about her new work some months ago and it's been on my radar. Glad to see such a positive review, though I'm still conflicted about whether I'll read it.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8854 comments Didn’t realize same author as the Ghost Bride! I didn’t love that, but may be Story and plot construction related. Still excited to read this.

message 8: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments This was one of January's "book of the month" picks and i's been on my radar. Very interesting you say it's 'a light mystery because I definitely assumed this would be pretty heavy. That definitely pushes me towards wanting to read it!