Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Super Powereds: Year 4 (Super Powereds, #4)
This topic is about Super Powereds
Book Clubs! > Super Powereds: Year 4 [April/May/June]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Time for Senior Year!!!

This book is a long one, so to read it in 2 months, we need to do 40 chapters per week... not that we won't binge later on anyway, but here's a tentative schedule for this 325 chapter, 60hr audiobook monstrosity:

Chapters Start-19: April 30th (Tuesday)
Chapters 20-39: May 3rd (Friday)

Chapters 40-59: May 7th
Chapters 60-79: May 10th

Chapters 80-99: May 14th
Chapters 100-119: May 17th

Chapters 120-139: May 21st
Chapters 140-159: May 24th

Chapters 160-179: May 28th
Chapters 180-199: May 31st

Chapters 200-219: June 4th (Tuesday)
Chapters 220-239: June 7th (Friday)

Chapters 240-259: June 11th
Chapters 260-279: June 14th

Chapters 280-299: June 18th
Chapters 300-End: June 21st

Anni | 5020 comments YEAH!!!

message 3: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I will really, really try to stick to the schedule this time!!!! ✋

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments I was pretty good at sticking to the schedule the first year... but every other year has revolved around hoarding chapters to binge in chunks, instead of reading every few days or weekly... the first chunk is the best, because the prologue tends to be 5-10 chapters long, compared to the rest...

message 5: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I know, that is what I have been doing. Starting late and finishing early. Which is a great compliment for the series 😊

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Started early.... bot sure I'm going to be able to stick to the schedule on this one... the series is so great, like we keep saying, and I have nothing else downloaded that I want to read at the moment... just paused/DNF'd the beginning of the capstone trilogy to the Craig Schaefer mega-series, and I've been binging too many of the books in other series I have on hand...

In comparison, SPY4 is great and I just want to chow it down, even if this is the end of the road with these characters...

I'm going to have to get some more Drew Hayes books sooner than later

Anni | 5020 comments I will be patient and wait till Tuesday, because it's POOOOWEREDS DAAAAY! 😁

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm going to have to get some more Drew Hayes books sooner than later "

I thought the same and saw that he wrote 2 short stories for the Shingles series. The format looks a little like Bookburners and the blurb says:

SHINGLES – Stories From Awful People, For Awful People
A monthly series from the messed up minds behind Authors & Dragons. Not recommended for those who are frail of heart or weak of bladder.

Genres: Horror / Comedy, Fantasy
Contains: adult language, violence, sexual situations, juvenile asshole humor, and all sorts of fucked-up stuff

Sounds good to me 😂 Maybe we could do a weekly read for this next :)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I'm going to have to get some more Drew Hayes books sooner than later "

I thought the same and saw that he wrote 2 short stories for the Shingles series. The format looks a l..."

Sounds like a great followup... I did some digging and there are audiobooks... first 6 are available now as a 13hr omnibus... next 6 are coming out next week... Goodreads isn't even listing the 4 newest books as part of the series, for some reason...

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I will be patient and wait till Tuesday, because it's POOOOWEREDS DAAAAY! 😁"

I paused at chapter 48 and found out my audiobook is bugged past chapter 38, so I had to pause and redownload (which sucks, since it's a 1.6GB audiobook)...

So much is going on, but if you want to follow the schedule, chapter 20 is about the end of the first day of class, like we've managed to schedule with every book, somehow...

Angela Jr. | 992 comments I'm gonna try my hardest to catch up with year 3 in time to join in on this one! Planning to start year 3 on may 1st and binge listen. Should be done before the 13th :)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Finally got the audiobook working, because I'm an Audio Wizard... redownloading didn't fix anything, so I tried alternative solutions...

I got rid of the DRM, so I could convert the file to MP3, then I used a CUE file and an MP3 splitter to break the book into 326 mp3 files, maintaining chapter breaks... in the past I've just done generic 30 minute splits, but this is SO much better... I didn't realize CUE files were just special text files before now... they basically look like this:

FILE "Super Powereds Year 4.mp3" MP3
TRACK 1 AUDIO
TITLE "Chapter 01"
INDEX 01 0:0:00
TRACK 2 AUDIO
TITLE "Chapter 02"
INDEX 01 55:1:64
TRACK 3 AUDIO
TITLE "Chapter 03"
INDEX 01 63:6:98
TRACK 325 AUDIO
TITLE "Chapter 325"
INDEX 01 3573:47:96
TRACK 326 AUDIO
TITLE "Chapter 326"
INDEX 01 3609:34:28
TRACK 327 AUDIO
TITLE "Chapter 327"
INDEX 01 3638:29:98

Some software can make CUE files based on long pauses before the start of chapters...

In getting all this resolved I did a bunch of file testing on iTunes and iBooks... this means listening to clips at 1x speed for a few seconds... it's always crazy after listening at 2x for so long, how weird it sounds...

message 13: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I need to send you the right to change files in my Dropbox, so you can upload it, since I have the same issues with mine...

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments If you have the software for DRM removal and MP3 splitting (openAudible and mp3split-gtk work), you just need a CUE file to make chapterized mp3 files... for that just copy this to a document names FILENAME.cue where FILENAME matches the 60hr MP3 file name, and is in the same folder... then batch split using "similarly named cue file"

CUE file:

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Needed to split the CUE text into 2 posts because it's so long...

(view spoiler)

From my understanding, discussing DRM removal is fine, as long as it's for personal use and not sharing...

Seems like the audiobook problem is with the Audible 1.6GB file... not sure if downloading it in 6x 250-300MB chunks would fix the problem, but I don't really feel like doing yet another 1.6GB download for a possible failure...

message 16: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments This is awesome, I will try it. Thanks, Iain👍

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments This book has been great, now that I can progress again...

Revelations in chapter 85ish...

Then the December Exams around chapter 115-130...

I never really considered before, how similar Vince and Camille's powers are... Vince stores energy/attacks as they're happening... Camille stores them after-the-fact...

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Through chapter 155 now... so much is happening... but so much of it is stuff that was spoiled by the wiki forever ago: (view spoiler)

Jerry, tho... (view spoiler)... and that flashback (view spoiler)

Virginie | 5795 comments Haha, you're not even pretending to follow the schedule anymore! ;)

message 20: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Maybe he traveled to May 24th? 😂

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Virginie wrote: "Haha, you're not even pretending to follow the schedule anymore! ;)"

After binging Corpies, I threw the schedule out the window... I can't stop... there's nothing else I want to read at the moment...

Many questions get answered around chapter 160, but the book is barely half over... just because we have answers, doesn't mean it's smooth sailing to the finish line...

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Best random quote of the book... lol...

It's not illegal. It's Subtlety.... OK, it's illegal.

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Because I can't seem to stop having audiobook problems, I found another...

I paused around chapter 225 and read another book, because I needed a bit of a break after 1200+ pages... tried to return and my audiobook app kept hanging while reopening the book... after a bunch of fiddling, I finally got it working by leaving the app in the background and using the pause/play buttons from home screen / locked screen... this might help you guys if you encounter similar problems... wasn't sure if this would work or open iTunes music or something...

Book comments: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Because again, I'm not cheating, I'm the well-behaving one, you know...
I started the Authors & Dragons Podcast instead, with Drew Hayes as GM and it's hilarious. I totally recommend it! :)

Episode 3 with the Well of Death made me laugh really hard!

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Finished... sorry guys...

Book was long, but somehow could have used a few more chapters to wrap things up before jumping to the epilogue... the epilogue was awesome, tho, and is filled with so many things I want to see in the sequel series (which I think will deal with the future catastrophe Shelby and Abridale were worried about)... the last line basically confirmed my hopes in that regard...

I kinda think this book was overfilled with awesome combat sequences... maybe you guys will feel differently if you adhere to the schedule and wait days/weeks between combat chapters...

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Starting this one tomorrow! I probably won't adhere to the schedule, but we'll see haha

message 27: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I went ahead and listened to tomorrow's chapters as well :)

Chapter 99 (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Last exams are a bit of a series Kryptonite... Year 1 Alice is kidnapped, and beating George replaces the exam... Year 2 Nick has Vince's head messed with... Year 3 the campus attack replaces the exams... what makes you think the finale will be any better ;)

message 29: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Last exams are a bit of a series Kryptonite... Year 1 Alice is kidnapped, and beating George replaces the exam... Year 2 Nick has Vince's head messed with... Year 3 the campus attack replaces the e..."

Well they also broke their (view spoiler)-curse, at least more or less 😂 But at this point I wouldn't be surprised if all went to hell again. Still, even if it won't be a real exam, they will have to make the decision based on something

message 30: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Finished Chapter 148, random stuff I really liked:

(view spoiler)

I'm also glad we read Corpies first :) That we know Titan better now, his interactions with the other heroes while watching the exams are more meaningful as well!

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments I'm glad we read in the order we did... the sleazy agent comes off better, having been introduced in SPY3, then seeing more in Corpies then SPY4...

(view spoiler)

Don't remember if I mentioned this before, but binging the way I did, reading 1200+ pages of combat sequences felt like a bit much... this 4th year lost a lot of the downtime, since it didn't focus much on the independent training...

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Finished and forgot to comment on here....
I agree with you, iain, there were so many fight scenes in this one! They were awesome but binge reading the book makes it a bit much to take in all at once.
I had a bit of a hard time keeping all the characters straight in my head since year 1, but it got progressively better as the years went on. I've discovered that audiobooks with a large casts are not the best thing for me to listen to 😅
I did enjoy year 4 a lot though, and the whole series overall!

@anni: i loved the hershel/roy development too :)

The epilogue (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Finished and forgot to comment on here....
I agree with you, iain, there were so many fight scenes in this one! They were awesome but binge reading the book makes it a bit much to take in all at on..."

That last line really set the foundation for the sequel series... (view spoiler)

message 34: by Timelord Iain (last edited Sep 15, 2019 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments I think I found a new BR we can do, if you guys are interested: The Wandering Inn Volume 1 by Pirateaba ...

I found out about it from a friend in another group... seems to be another one of them long-winded indie web serials floating around... and it's on Volume 5 now, I think... but the first volume just came out on Audible last week... 1150 pages, 43hrs of audio... sounds like a cross between Clean Sweep & the growing LitRPG genre...

We could do it slowly, if you wanted... if you guys decide to continue with it past volume one, you'll either have to read online, or make ebooks/etc, and I won't be continuing until more audio comes out... but this seemed right up our alley, from what I heard...

Thoughts?

message 35: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Did we read this one already? I missed it! Didn't get any notifications:-(:-(:-( Now I have to read it alone...

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Yea... I binged the crap out of it in Late April / Early May... Annie read shortly after... and Virginie went AWOL a bit then did a full series re-read in August...

We couldn't really adhere to the slow reading pace as the series momentum pick up... or I couldn't anyway... so there weren't nearly as many comments as in the previous threads... sorry, Choko :(

message 37: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments That's OK... I will make comments here once I start it:-)

message 38: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Choko wrote: "That's OK... I will make comments here once I start it:-)"

Virginie just finished her re-read of book 1-3, I'm not sure if she already started the last one, but maybe you could read it together? :)

message 39: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I think I found a new BR we can do, if you guys are interested: The Wandering Inn: Volume 1...

I found out about it from a friend in another group... seems to be another one of the..."

Sounds really good. I think I might prefere the audio version as well, so maybe we can do it later, when book 2 will be published as audiobook as well?

I would love to read something else by Hayes, Forging Hephaestus, NPCs or The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant

message 40: by Timelord Iain (last edited Sep 15, 2019 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I think I found a new BR we can do, if you guys are interested: The Wandering Inn: Volume 1...

I found out about it from a friend in another group... seems to..."

If you guys want to do Fred, you guys will need to catch up, because I did the first book a week or 2 ago, and enjoyed it enough to pick up the rest of the series to continue in the (near) future...

I think the series would work well with our slower pacing... the books can easily be broken into short stories, like an anthology... the first book had 5-6 distinct stories spread out over several months, as Fred went from a vampire loner to semi-leader of a group of supernatural friends and a girlfriend... the blurbs sound like his interactions with the supernatural world snowball and escalate...

I'm going to pick up Wandering Inn Volume one, to try and give the publisher the sales push needed to continue making the audiobooks... not sure how long it'll take for more audiobooks to release, tho... I dug around the author's website, and it looks like it took forever for the 1st audiobook to appear after the announcement (18 months)... the author looks financially stable, tho, making $9000/mo from Patreon support before fees... and he's actually near the end of Volume 6 already, and working on an edited ebook version of book 2...

Virginie | 5795 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Choko wrote: "That's OK... I will make comments here once I start it:-)"

Virginie just finished her re-read of book 1-3, I'm not sure if she already started the last one, but maybe you could read ..."

I've actually finished binging it a week ago, and it didn't occur to me to come here and read the comments xD

message 42: by Virginie (last edited Sep 15, 2019 09:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments I'd be up for Wandering Inn too. I was already planning on reading that webnovel after Worm.
Like Anni, I'd prefer something on audio so I won't go farther than Vol.1.

Virginie | 5795 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I would love to read something else by Hayes, Forging Hephaestus, NPCs or The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant"

Forging Hephaestus only has one book so far, and I'm starting the last book of Spells, Sword & Stealth (the NPCs series) right now, so I vote for Fred :p

message 44: by Timelord Iain (last edited Sep 15, 2019 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments I've been thinking about giving Worm another try... I'm wondering if maybe I'd have done better on a schedule like Super Powereds...

Someone in another group was just telling me the pagecounts for Wandering Inn:

Volume 1 = 1,200 pages
Volume 2 = 1,600 pages
Volume 3 = 1,800 pages
Volume 4 = 2,200 pages
Volume 5 = 3,300 pages
Volume 6 = Ongoing

I also hear the quality improves over time... sounds like reading old webcomics from budding artists...

message 45: by Virginie (last edited Sep 15, 2019 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments Seeing as I've just binged 7 books by Hayes (with one more to come), would you guys mind if we do Wandering Inn Vol.1 before Forging Hephaestus/Fred?
As much as I like Hayes' books, I think I'll overdose :p

As a bonus, we might have more news about Vol.2 by the time we have to think about our next read :)

Virginie | 5795 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I've been thinking about giving Worm another try... I'm wondering if maybe I'd have done better on a schedule like Super Powereds..."

Well, if you want to join me, I'm reading one arc every weekend (just finished arc 4) :)

message 47: by Timelord Iain (last edited Sep 15, 2019 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments If Anni is game, I can start Wandering Inn later this week or next week... I think there are 40 chapters, so I dunno how we want to do it...

Re: Worm: I think I can catch up to do Arc 5 next weekend... I left off around the end of Arc 1 or 2, I think...

I just overbooked myself this week with getting back into the BR game...

message 48: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "If Anni is game, I can start Wandering Inn later this week or next week... I think there are 40 chapters, so I dunno how we want to do it...

Re: Worm: I think I can catch up to do Arc 5 next weeke..."

Hmmm, honestly I would like to finish The Queen's Thief series, Hungry Cities and Skulduggery first 🙈 Maybe Virgine would like to join us for one of them? 😅

Timelord Iain | 14735 comments That's basically what I was saying about monopolizing your time, last week... I have you doing a ton of series BRs at the moment, at a pretty fast pace... and until I started digging into the Master List again, they were the only BRs I was doing... got a couple going with Choko too...

@Virginie: we're done with 3/5 of Queen's Thief, 1/4 of Hungry Cities, and 1/12 of Skulduggery Pleasant... I'd vote for joining us for Skulduggery Pleasant if you can... short fun YA middle-grade books that have whittles down to me and Anni, since Ahdam doesn't have much reading time and I dunno with Mary(right name?)

Virginie | 5795 comments I was going to post that, should I join any of those, it would be Skulduggery Pleasant, but you beat me to it ;)
Would take me too long to catch up on Queen's Thief, and I'm not that interested by Hungry Cities at the moment.

Skulduggery seems like fun books and the perfect way of getting back into BRs. I have access to at least the first three, will get into it right after finishing my last Hayes :)

Since I'm joining... Do you want to do this with weekly chapters or the normal way (squeezing one between other books when Anni has time)? I'm fine with either one ;)

« previous 1