A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1) A Curse So Dark and Lonely question

is gray selfish?
Otis Otis (last edited Apr 15, 2019 05:37AM ) Apr 15, 2019 05:35AM
grey was one of my favourite characters until the end.
I think he was being really selfish by not going back to the castle, I understand why he did it but I think both Harper and Rhen would've been happy to know he survived. maybe the rhen at the start of the book might've been angry that he wasn't the true heir to the throne but after over 300 seasons together I think they probably see each other as friends (even if they don't know it), and if grey didn't want to stand against rehn as the true heir rhen would let him stay as commander of the royal guard.

also he could've taken Noah home because he still had friends and family in DC, even if Jake didn't want to go back. that would be a good plot twist if Noah had do choose between Jake and DC.

I think the main reason I am angry is because I have to wait nearly a year for the next book but I have to vent it onto something.

Have you read the sequel yet? No spoilers, but it is explained and not as easy as we thought. I had a huge yikes moment realizing Rhen’s reaction and to me everything shows how selfless and loyal Grey truly is and always has been. He’s smart and knows Rhen better than even we as readers did.

Otis wrote: "grey was one of my favourite characters until the end.
I think he was being really selfish by not going back to the castle, I understand why he did it but I think both Harper and Rhen would've been..."

I agree with you. After reading the ending, I was like "Why?" but I still love him.

I agree as well, the only explanation I can think of is that because Grey had been loyal to Rhen through an oath for so long, he may have denied the reality that over time they've actually become friends, not just "master and guardsmen." Grey may have thought that if he returned to the castle, no longer being under an oath, Rhen wouldn't have wanted him there (much less after realizing he's the heir). That being said, if Grey had taken time to pay attention to Rhen's words throughout the book, he may have realized that Rhen stopped seeing him as "just a guard" a long time ago, and gladly would want him to return as a friend.