Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2018 and beyond > Time to Vote for the May Tag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for May at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JCRWPQ5

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Happy voting! Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 4/23.

Note: If no one choice receives more than 50% of the vote, people who chose the least popular choice will be asked to recast their votes for one of the remaining two options.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Oh no. My worst nightmare! One that is super ambiguous, and two that don’t at all appeal to me. 😥

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Susie wrote: "Oh no. My worst nightmare! One that is super ambiguous, and two that don’t at all appeal to me. 😥"

This was pretty easy, I'm meh on non-fiction and anthropology so I went for "beautiful," whatever the hell that means... A Little Life is on that list and I don't know I would call it "beautiful." :P

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 673 comments That was easy - didn't even look at the shelves as non-fiction might fit trim!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8169 comments Voting now - just did my research. Susie, I know you don't care for non-fiction, but if it wins, we will all help you find something you can live with. The super ambiguous one is going to contain a lot of nonfiction as well. I voted for the broad one, because as you guys know, for me its all about the TBR this year, although I have more than enough for all the tags. I must tell you, I take issue with the list itself. It felt strange to me, that is strangely constructed. And seriously open to interpretation. But there are a lot of ways to look at at, and therefore an incredible amount of choices. Thats where I am headed, and I suspect it will win, because our group has been voting broad over the last year, which is a change from prior years. I think we might all be about the TBR this year.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks Amy! Meli, beautiful is my only option too. I’m glad to have someone else about who also feels meh about non-fiction.

message 7: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Susie wrote: "Thanks Amy! Meli, beautiful is my only option too. I’m glad to have someone else about who also feels meh about non-fiction."

I also think beautiful will have a lot of good book club / buddy read type books for some reason.

Could May be the month my trim selection finally matches the tag??

message 8: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments My interpretation involves beautiful writing, so this list appeals to me:

https://bookriot.com/2018/05/29/books...

message 9: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments There are some very interesting options this month. I also went for beautiful but if non-fiction wins I could make that work

message 10: by Joanne (last edited Apr 15, 2019 02:56PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments Beautiful? Very surprised by this list of books. There is something for everyone I think. Non-Fiction I could cover that easily. While I thought Anthropology would show nothing for me, there are a few on my TBR shelf.

Looked at all the lists this morning and compared to my TBR-and the most on that are in the Beautiful category-so that's where my vote went.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments NancyJ wrote: "My interpretation involves beautiful writing, so this list appeals to me:

https://bookriot.com/2018/05/29/books..."

Thanks for sharing Nancy-actually have a few of these on shelf.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8169 comments I figured beautiful could also be Hollywood, stage and screen, rock stars, divas, and even crazy rich Asians. But I didn’t need that extra slice to already have about 10 books.

message 13: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Amy wrote: "I figured beautiful could also be Hollywood, stage and screen, rock stars, divas, and even crazy rich Asians. But I didn’t need that extra slice to already have about 10 books."

It looks like I'll get the ebook for Daisy Jones and the Six soon (I can't freeze electronic holds). I didn't think her Evelyn Hugo book was beautiful at all, but maybe daisy will be??? Or maybe that's too much to ask of a book about a Rock and Roll star.

message 14: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Woohoo, I am on time for the vote this month!!!

Beautiful seems like it would be very open to interpretation. Beautiful prose, beautiful storytelling, beautiful characters, beautiful in the title, beautiful cover...

message 15: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2712 comments I'm thinking that anthropology would be easiest, or perhaps most interesting, to align with the horizons challenge.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 673 comments So it turns out that i don't mind if either nonfiction or beautiful wins - they both have an equal number of books to fit other challenges, plus they both have 2 books on my trim the tbr challenge!

message 17: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5328 comments Voted. I went with the one of have the most of on my shelf.

message 18: by LibraryCin (last edited Apr 15, 2019 01:08PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8028 comments Ooooh, one is my undergrad degree! :-)

ETA: As usual, I'm hoping not for the broadest. Especially since we are doing a subset of it this month! "History" was broad enough!

message 19: by Karin (last edited Apr 15, 2019 01:36PM) (new)

Karin | 6884 comments Well, I had a lot more want to read books in non-fiction. As for anthropology, it won't fit at all into my year of rebellious reading only what I feel like as much as possible. YES, of course I've read it before! In fact, one of the ones on the first page was one I had to read in university--the now discredited The Yanomamö for one class, and this was included in at least two papers I had to write for different subjects--only read that if you want to read pure bull dung that did the real people NO favours!

I've read plenty in the beautiful tag.

Even though I know the date, this thread took me by surprise.

message 20: by Karin (last edited Apr 15, 2019 01:46PM) (new)

Karin | 6884 comments Susie wrote: "Thanks Amy! Meli, beautiful is my only option too. I’m glad to have someone else about who also feels meh about non-fiction."

Susie, you would probably prefer literary nonfiction.

Here are some beautifully written nonfiction books Beautifully written nonfiction books by women.

Here are 50 more.

Three of them from that second list (all in a row, so convenient) I recommend are
The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson—The great migration of African Americans to northern cities, and the impact it has today.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand—World War II tale of survival after being shot down over the Pacific Ocean.

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown—Olympic rowing at the 1936 Berlin Olympics (this book is amazing!).

BUT some of the ones on that list aren't that beautifully written.

message 21: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Karin wrote: "Well, I had a lot more want to read books in non-fiction. As for anthropology, it won't fit at all into my year of rebellious reading only what I feel like as much as possible. YES, of course I've ..."

I saw a book on the Anthropology list that I read for a sociology class in college - Bowling Alone. It was pretty good.

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5539 comments Totally UNinspired .... voted.

message 23: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Anthology is 100% covered by Non Fiction so that leaves 2 real choices, both very very broad.
I think I’ll go with Beautiful. Will be fun to see how people interpret that and already you guys are coming with fun lists (and the fact it must be the list suggested by a person is a bonus)
But if Non Fiction is chosen - it’s so so broad I’m sure to easily find something

message 24: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments I think if Beautiful is chosen I will try and read a book that has the word "Beautiful" in the title. There is a list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 25: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2149 comments I'm reading a lot of non-fiction right now with History and I absolutely need something beautiful right now. Plus there are six books on the first two pages that match my TBR! sounds good to me!

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Karin, I am a non-fiction lost cause! I have tried both Unbroken and Boys in a Boat, and just could not get into them.

Nancy, if you are an audio listener (I think you are), Daisy Jones is utterly fabulous in that format.

message 27: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Huh, okay. Voted. I think two of the choices would probably work well for my trim list.

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8169 comments Susie, as someone who also never cared for Non-fction, I will help you if it should win. But guess what? I don't think it will.

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8169 comments You need something that touches and wraps and reads like fiction. So much that it feels almost indistinguishable. Three books come to mind off the bat, but I won't share them unless it comes to pass someday. I am saving these titles for you.

message 30: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments AJ wrote: "I think if Beautiful is chosen I will try and read a book that has the word "Beautiful" in the title. There is a list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1..."

If that works for beautiful then maybe I will read The House of Impossible Beauties... not beautiful in the title, but basically same thing.

Susie wrote: "Karin, I am a non-fiction lost cause! I have tried both Unbroken and Boys in a Boat, and just could not get into them.

Nancy, if you are an audio listener (I think you are), Daisy Jones is utterl..."

I wonder if you would like Bad Blood non-fiction on audio. I don't usually do audio but this story was fascinating and the narrator sounds like the same voice from Forensic Files which I loved.

message 31: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Meli wrote: "I wonder if you would like Bad Blood non-fiction on audio. I don't usually do audio but this story was fascinating and the narrator sounds like the same voice from Forensic Files which I loved. "

I second this for, Susie. I think that if any nonfiction book had a chance, it might be this one.

Also, Susie, do you read much about autism spectrum disorder? If you do, that could perhaps be an option as well.

message 32: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks Amy, Meli, and Nicole. I’ll give Bad Blood a whirl should it come to pass. Nicole, I get a bit autismed out so I save my pleasure reading for other topics.

message 33: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Susie wrote: "Nicole, I get a bit autismed out so I save my pleasure reading for other topics."

I totally get that! I never see you review books about autism, which doesn't mean you don't read them, but I totally understand about needing your pleasure reading to NOT be something that is so prevalent in your life!

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin A I don't mind non-fiction, but have been reading that a lot, so I decided to go a little more outside my box and was surprised I do have some on each list.

message 35: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments Susie wrote: "Thanks Amy, Meli, and Nicole. I’ll give Bad Blood a whirl should it come to pass. Nicole, I get a bit autismed out so I save my pleasure reading for other topics."

I have read one you might be able to get through The Mastermind: Drugs. Empire. Murder. Betrayal.

message 36: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6091 comments I wanted to hit my head against the wall when I first saw the options...but also was in a very stressed place mentally at that moment (work stress - typical lawyer day). Now that I am a bit settled, I've looked at it again and calmed a bit.

Agree that all very broad and open to interpretation. I certainly have unread books in my personal library to fit each one -- i.e. Euphoria for anthropology which initially seemed toughest. Bottom line: all 3 are broad enough to fit any number of books into from my various TBR mountains and lists.

I did find the list for 'beautiful' rather odd -- and most are books I would never in a million years consider fitting a 'beautiful' category - except where it's in the title. I think this could be a book with beautiful writing, or gorgeous illustrations, or cover, or subject matter, or whatever is 'beautiful' to you.

message 37: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for the recommendation Joanne.

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8169 comments With deepest respect, Susie, don’t listen to any of these people. My suggestion is that whenever nonfiction should turn up, if it should, take your suggestions from people who dislike nonfiction as a general rule, but loved something that surprised them. I don’t just mean me, I mean all of us who fall into that category. This is hard for non-fiction haters, and only a few will do, in my humble opinion.

message 39: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Susie wrote: "Karin, I am a non-fiction lost cause! I have tried both Unbroken and Boys in a Boat, and just could not get into them.

Nancy, if you are an audio listener (I think you are), Daisy Jones is utterl..."

That's good because I'll get the audio before the kindle.

message 40: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments AJ wrote: "I think if Beautiful is chosen I will try and read a book that has the word "Beautiful" in the title. There is a list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1..."

Be sure to read the reviews, as some of the books are described as ugly, despite the title.

message 41: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Theresa wrote: "I wanted to hit my head against the wall when I first saw the options...but also was in a very stressed place mentally at that moment (work stress - typical lawyer day). Now that I am a bit settled..."

It's very subjective. For some a stark setting or a tearjerker can be beautiful. I prefer an uplifting theme, emotional depth and beautiful writing. Personal growth, redemption, love, insights and beautiful descriptions also figure in

When I read Circe the second time it was more beautiful than the first time. The writing and the narration were really helpful.

message 42: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6091 comments Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...or reader!

message 43: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8028 comments If beautiful wins, I will read something about models or beauty somehow (I do think I have a couple on the tbr). I don't want to use "beautiful" as a subjective beautiful writing type of thing, personally.

message 44: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments If it is nonfiction, it is like the Goodreads blog is reading anticipating our needs: https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/1...

message 45: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Also, I JUST realized that the option is ANTHROPOLOGY and not ANTHOLOGY! Ugh, reading is hard.

That changes what my plan is should that option win!

message 46: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments Nicole R wrote: "Also, I JUST realized that the option is ANTHROPOLOGY and not ANTHOLOGY! Ugh, reading is hard.

That changes what my plan is should that option win!"

😂-what a difference a few letters can make!

message 47: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I wonder if there are many Anthropology Anthologies...

message 48: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Susie wrote: "Karin,

You were so right! The audio is perfect for this book. I received it earlier than expected and it gave me a wonderful Good Friday. I was excited that there was a song at the end, but it was just music, no singing. Very soft rock.

message 49: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "I wonder if there are many Anthropology Anthologies..."

Out of curiosity I looked. The first thing that popped up is a YouTube song by Piglet titled Anthropology Anthology. : D

I also found quite a few academic books for college classes.

message 50: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8028 comments Nicole R wrote: "Also, I JUST realized that the option is ANTHROPOLOGY and not ANTHOLOGY! Ugh, reading is hard.

That changes what my plan is should that option win!"

LOL!

« previous 1