The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Beneath a Scarlet Sky
This topic is about Beneath a Scarlet Sky
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan - May 2019

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4598 comments The group chose to read Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan in May as our "weather related word in the title" themed read. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan

Based on the true story of a forgotten hero, Beneath a Scarlet Sky is the triumphant, epic tale of one young man’s incredible courage and resilience during one of history’s darkest hours.

Pino Lella wants nothing to do with the war or the Nazis. He’s a normal Italian teenager—obsessed with music, food, and girls—but his days of innocence are numbered. When his family home in Milan is destroyed by Allied bombs, Pino joins an underground railroad helping Jews escape over the Alps, and falls for Anna, a beautiful widow six years his senior.

In an attempt to protect him, Pino’s parents force him to enlist as a German soldier—a move they think will keep him out of combat. But after Pino is injured, he is recruited at the tender age of eighteen to become the personal driver for Adolf Hitler’s left hand in Italy, General Hans Leyers, one of the Third Reich’s most mysterious and powerful commanders.

Now, with the opportunity to spy for the Allies inside the German High Command, Pino endures the horrors of the war and the Nazi occupation by fighting in secret, his courage bolstered by his love for Anna and for the life he dreams they will one day share.

Fans of All the Light We Cannot See, The Nightingale, and Unbroken will enjoy this riveting saga of history, suspense, and love.

Bonnie I just read this last month, so look forward to discussing it when others have finished or gotten a good start. It was a fast read for me (and other members of the book club I read it with.) I have read tons of WW-II novels, but I think this was my first set in Italy.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4598 comments I think this will be my first set in Italy too.

Unfortunately, it will probably be later in the month by the time I get to it, but I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it.

Robin | 6 comments this has been on my to-read list for a while so i am excited to see it is a pick this month. i need to finish up the book i am reading now then hope to join in reading and discussion on this one soon.

message 5: by TR (new) - rated it 5 stars

TR | 137 comments Quite possibly my favorite book ever. But to each their own.

Stephie | 196 comments I loved this book so so much

Bonnie I've read controversial reviews on this about how much was fiction and how much biography. To me, I'm comfortable thinking of it as historical fiction based on real life characters and events.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4598 comments I agree, Bonnie. There are definitely critics out there that say this book is not really based on a true story and that it gives the wrong impression of historical events. I have not read it yet, so I can't really have an opinion on that yet, but I will be reading it with the understanding that it is historical fiction and I'm ok with that.

Carol (fleter) | 99 comments I’m 30% of the way done and enjoying it! I wouldn’t call it “fine literature”....but the story....so far, it’s keeping me very engaged.

message 10: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Abella | 7 comments I know, it's an easy read...and quite interesting at times. But the characters are a little flat and the Italian background is a little trite...but there's a nice twist at the end--and hey, supposedly it's all true!

Carol (fleter) | 99 comments Finished! I enjoyed this book. I read a lot of WWII historical fiction, but never set in Italy. I’ve visited some of the areas in the story and now have another lens to view them through. Great story, not the best writing. Glad I read it - have been putting it off due to length.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beneath a Scarlet Sky (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark T. Sullivan (other topics)