What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Joy Is Not Herself
This topic is about Joy Is Not Herself
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 1950s-1970s British Children's book - English countryside, spooky sister named Melisandre possibly possessed? [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseyxrae) | 15 comments The book was a hardcover with a pale blue cover and sketchy pen/ink illustrations every few pages, similar to 1950's-60's style of drawings which is why I think it was that date but may have been older or written into the 1970s.

About a large family who lives in the city (probably London?) who are children of a doctor. The kids are all rambunctious sporty types and get along well except for one sister, the 7th (?) daughter, Melisandre, who is weird/spooky/early goth prototype, has black hair that always hangs in her face, etc. All the other kids are named short simple things like Susan and Ruth, she's named that after some ballet the mother saw. They go to spend the summer in the countryside near a Stately Home where they meet the local noble family's kids. They sleep in a loft and can easily eavesdrop on their parents. Dad goes back and forth on weekends. Nobody particularly likes them but they hate Melisandre. There's a plotline about bunnies and her cat, and also ponies. Something bad/unlucky happens like it always does and Melisandre is unhappy because she doesn't intend for these things to happen so she agrees to let her siblings try and fix her. There's some sort of witchy/demonic possession going on that the oldest kid figures out and they manage to "fix" Melisandre. They have the vicar come and help. They also do it by getting her to call herself Melly or Melissa or something because they realize that her name has too many letters or syllables, and pull her hair back in a headband after they get rid of her evil cat during something that happens in a thunderstorm? I swear the name of the book was "The Other Melisandre" or "The Other Sister" but can't find it.

Bryn (Plus Others) (brynplusplus) | 186 comments I think I found it!

Joy Is Not Herself

No description on Goodreads, but here is the Kirkus review from 1962: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseyxrae) | 15 comments That's it!!! You are amazing, I spent hours googling and got nowhere!

Bryn (Plus Others) (brynplusplus) | 186 comments You're welcome! It sounds so interesting -- I'm going to see if I can find a copy. :)