What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Rules of Survival
This topic is about The Rules of Survival
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fiction book with a light blue cover and broken glass. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josh (new)

Josh (josh5) | 5 comments I read this book quite a while ago, around 2012/2013 and unfortunately I can't remember very many details at all.

All I can say for certain is that it has a light, baby blue cover with broken glass on it.

Plot-wise, I think it was a young child running from abuse (but I'm not certain if that's true).

I'm fairly certain the title was related to broken glass - something like "shattered" but all the searches I've tried with that and similar keywords have turned up nothing.

It's definitely a long shot trying to find this with so few details, but I'm hoping maybe somebody knows?

message 2: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments Awakening by Robin Wasserman? The cover description also makes me think of Crystal Doors by Rebecca Moesta and Kevin J. Anderson, although plot doesn't really match.

message 3: by Josh (new)

Josh (josh5) | 5 comments Bridget wrote: "Awakening by Robin Wasserman? The cover description also makes me think of Crystal Doors by Rebecca Moesta and Kevin J. Anderson, although plot doesn't really match."

Thank you very much for the guesses! Unfortunately, it isn't either of those. The shattered glass on the cover I am thinking of is more "in pieces" so to speak; like if you took a sheet of glass and dropped it.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments How old was the young child? Was the child the main character? If so, are you sure it was YA fiction?

Can you remember what type of abuse the child was running from?

message 5: by Josh (last edited Apr 14, 2019 09:41PM) (new)

Josh (josh5) | 5 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "How old was the young child? Was the child the main character? If so, are you sure it was YA fiction?

Can you remember what type of abuse the child was running from?"

I thought really hard about it, and I can't say with certainly what the child's age was - it was fairly young, though. I want to say 11 but don't quote me on that.

The child was definitely the main character, and it was absolutely a YA book without a doubt.

I believe the child was running from family abuse. I want to say the mother was an alcoholic, but that may or may not be from a different book I'm mixing together with this one in my head.

Sorry, I'm really not much of a help...

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments I was just asking because YA is typically high school age. Sounds like this might have been more middle grade. I'll go looking to see what I can find.

Do you know whether the child was male or female?

message 7: by Josh (new)

Josh (josh5) | 5 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "I was just asking because YA is typically high school age. Sounds like this might have been more middle grade. I'll go looking to see what I can find.

Do you know whether the child was male or fem..."

Thanks - I read the book in high school, and it wasn't a hard read at all, so very possibly could be considered a middle grade as you say and/or YA in my opinion.

I'm 99% sure the child was female in the book

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana | 6 comments Was the cover something like this? (whipped this up in Photoshop because this conjured some memories)
https://imgur.com/a/Tk46E5Q
if so, I remember it being a kind of book I associated with the Crank Series, but never read. It used to be in my library's young adult section.

message 9: by Josh (new)

Josh (josh5) | 5 comments Diana wrote: "Was the cover something like this? (whipped this up in Photoshop because this conjured some memories)
https://imgur.com/a/Tk46E5Q
if so, I remember it being a kind of book I associated with the Cra..."

Wow! Thanks for the effort, Photoshop and everything! Unfortunately that isn't the same style, no. Nothing to do with the crank series at all.

***However, maybe good news. Your image caused something in my brain to click and I was able to punch in some alternate keywords and find "The Rules of Survival" by Nancy Werlin. I don't know what clicked, but something did - so thanks again for that!

It looks like one of the edition's covers has shattered glass on the front of a blue cover.

Part of the plot details I've read about it both on Goodreads and various other websites match what I thought I knew about the book, and others I was way off. But as soon as I saw the cover and title, I had an overwhelming sense of deja vu wash over me. The plot mentions an abusive mother which is something I definitely remember, and young children (although the main character is male - but I could have been wrong about that!)

Therefore, I'm going to call this tentatively solved while I place a hold with my local library to get my hands on a copy and see if it is indeed the same book I've been desperately trying to identify.

The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Glad you found it, Josh. Thanks for letting us know!

I remember The Rules of Survival has come up before.