Heather | 8272 comments

New York
George Bellows

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

City by the Sea
Ambrogio Lorenzetti
C. 1335

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Apr 14, 2019 01:27PM) (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

View of Delft
Johannes Vermeer
1660-1661

The painting of the Dutch artist's hometown is among his most popular, painted at a time when cityscapes were uncommon. It is one of three known paintings of Delft by Vermeer... Vermeer's View of Delft has been held in the Dutch Royal Cabinet of Paintings at the Mauritshuis in The Hague since its establishment in 1822.

The landscape was painted from an elevated position to the southeast of Delft, possibly the upper floor of a house on the quayside across the river Schie. The artist is looking back to the city to the northwest, with the Schiedam Gate in the middle of the composition, and the Rotterdam Gate and its barbican to the right, all reflected in the water of the harbour created in 1616–1620. Behind the Schiedam Gate is the long red-roofed arsenal (the Armamentarium).

It is a morning scene, with the sun to the east (viewer's right) illuminating the Protestant Nieuwe Kerk ("New Church", right of centre) before its bells were replaced in 1660. The New Church in Delft is the burial place of William the Silent and other members of the House of Orange-Nassau.

To the left is the tower the "De Papegaey" (Parrot) brewery (since demolished) and, to its left, the top of the tower of the Oude Kerk ("Old Church"). Some barges are drawn up on the quayside, with a few people passing by. The top half of the painting is dominated by a cloudy sky, with a dark cloud suggesting a rain shower has just passsed.

It is believed that Vermeer created this painting using an optical device—possibly a camera obscura, or a telescope—to capture the detail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_of...

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

Night View of Saruwakacho, no. 90 from the series One-hundred Views of Famous Places in Edo
Utagawa Hiroshige

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

The Boulevard Montmartre at Night
Camille Pissarro

Towards the end of his life Pissarro increasingly turned to the representation of town scenes in Paris, Rouen, Dieppe, Le Havre and London, mainly painted from the windows of hotels and apartments. In February 1897 he took a room in Paris at the Hôtel de Russie on the corner of the Boulevard des Italiens and the Rue Drouot, and produced a series of paintings of the Boulevard Montmartre at different times of the day. Pissarro may have been influenced by the series of paintings on which Monet was engaged at this time, and by the earlier urban scenes of Manet.

This painting is the only night scene from this series, and is a masterful rendition of the play of lights on dark and wet streets. Pissarro neither signed nor exhibited it during his lifetime.

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/pa...

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

Paris through the Window
Marc Chagall
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum,
New York City, NY, US

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

The City
Fernand Leger

The painting is Cubist in style and is now in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, as part of the collection donated by Albert Eugene Gallatin. Gallatin donated the piece to the museum 1952 and it has also been shown at the Guggenheim Museum. In reviews of the Guggenheim exhibit, both The City and other works in the show were praised

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

Metropolis
George Grosz
1916-1917

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20zLA...

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

La Gran Via
Antonio Lopez
1974–1981

message 10: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 360 comments I especially like the Chagall painting--it's so whimsical!

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments I didn’t realize until I see so many here all together, but I really like cityscapes!
I like the subdued ones and the colorful ones.

I do like the Chagall and I like the Leger, too.

message 12: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Interesting when seen together like this...

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

Ocean City
Wayne Thiebaud

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments

Broadway Bus Stop, Near Lincoln Center
Richard Estes

message 15: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments You know, I think cityscapes like these are some of my favorite paintings! I never would have known that if I hadn't looked these up like this.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1889 comments I love Wayne Thiebaud. When I lived in my larger house I had a poster for one of his shows hanging in my kitchen, a typical San Francisco hill. I even met him briefly once many years ago.

message 17: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8272 comments Ruth wrote: "I love Wayne Thiebaud. When I lived in my larger house I had a poster for one of his shows hanging in my kitchen, a typical San Francisco hill. I even met him briefly once many years ago."

I'd never heard of him but I love the above painting that he did. The colors are exquisite!