World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Even the Dead Are Coming
This topic is about Even the Dead Are Coming

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Omar el-Beshir, the dictator of Sudan since 1989, has fallen, the victim of a coup very similar to the one that brought him to power. For me this means more than it would to most non-Sudanese, as I was in Sudan at the time of his own coup, and my work there was brought to an end as a result of it. There is a feeling for me of history coming full circle at last.

About 18 months after the Beshir coup I wrote my own account of the day he seized power, and the weeks that followed. It eventually appeared as the last chapter of my book Even the Dead Are Coming, published in 2009. Here it is, mildly edited so that it can stand alone.

https://mikerobbinsnyc.blogspot.com/2...

Best wishes to all Sudanese people, who I always found most gracious, generous, and civil; and I hope that they will find a peaceful path to whatever form of government they now want.

Rita Chapman | 152 comments Hi Mike. I was very pleased to see this post. I have been trying to research South Sudan in the 1980's for my next book and your book sounds ideal. I just bought it - thanks in advance!

message 3: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Robbins (mikerobbins) | 264 comments Rita wrote: "Hi Mike. I was very pleased to see this post. I have been trying to research South Sudan in the 1980's for my next book and your book sounds ideal. I just bought it - thanks in advance!"

Thank you Rita!

My book will give you a flavour of Sudan in the 1980s and I think, and hope, that you will find it useful, certainly for what was going on in the North at the time.

But if you're interested in the South, then even more useful will be Deborah Scroggins's extraordinary book Emma's War. I met both the subject of this book, who is now dead, and the author; they were both remarkable women, and you will find it very vivid if you have not already read it.

This is also worth reading, if you can find it - which may not be easy now: War Wounds: Development Costs of Conflict in Southern Sudan

Rita Chapman | 152 comments Thanks for the recommendations Mike.