Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist's works!) > The Black Swans (Dora Carrington)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments I have a sneaking suspicion that this could be a little bit more difficult! Let’s see:

message 2: by Chiara (new)

Chiara Cavalli | 10 comments This is difficult! Is he/she a european painter?

message 3: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments I thought so…
Maybe a second painting will help…

And to narrow the search: the artist is British.

message 4: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments Maybe a third painting …

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Henri Rousseau?

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Of course, on my phone I can only see a sliver of the painting. The far left side so I’ll have to go to my PC and check them out. I could be way off! Haha

message 7: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments Heather wrote: "Of course, on my phone I can only see a sliver of the painting. The far left side so I’ll have to go to my PC and check them out. I could be way off! Haha"

Ha, it's a good guess Heather, based on this last pic, but yesterday I gave a little extra hint: the artist is British!

Still having trouble with that phone? ;-)

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Oh I didn’t even see your hint. Oh well.

message 9: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) Oooh I love this one. It looks like southern California. I'd better do some research to figure this one out.

message 10: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Hock a knee?

message 11: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) A lovely morning not reading the Washington post but rather looking at a bunch of English artists I never heard of. I didn't locate any of these paintings but will venture a guess...David Inshaw?

message 12: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments Both wrong. Maybe it's time for an extra hint?
But certainly a fine way to spend your morning ;-)

All right: the artist is female.

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Dirk, I hope you’re keeping these to the more famous artists... just saying.

message 14: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments Well what is famous...
Remember you posted Mehoffer ;-)
There was a movie made about this artist, is that famous enough?

message 15: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Mehoffer had been discussed before, only before you joined the group. That’s why I posted it. And even that painting itself was posted in another area in the group so it wasn’t out of nowhere.
I’m just reminding you. You have mostly done famous ones but there have been a few that some members have never heard of...
No offense, just stick to the guidelines of the thread. You’re fine.

message 16: by Chiara (new)

Chiara Cavalli | 10 comments Is he still alive?

message 17: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments No, she died in 1932.

message 18: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments

message 19: by Chiara (new)

Chiara Cavalli | 10 comments She? So a female artist...I was gonna say Paul Nash

message 20: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments The writer (right in the film still) died of undiagnosed stomach cancer on 21st January 1932. His death made her (the artist on the left in the film still) suicidal. She wrote a passage from David Hume in her diary: "A man who retires from life does no harm to society. He only ceases to do good. I am not obliged to do a small good to society at the expense of a great harm to myself. Why then should I prolong a miserable existence... I believe that no man ever threw away life, while it was worth keeping."
After a failed attempt she shot herself on 11th March 1932.

Virginia Woolf wrote in her diary: "Glad to be alive and sorry for the dead: can't think why … killed herself and put an end to all this." However, ten years later she followed ….’s example and killed herself.

message 21: by Connie (last edited Apr 16, 2019 04:15PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 368 comments Dora Carrington, who was friends with the Bloomsbury Group.

It's a joke with radiologists to hang pictures of her rounded mountains in their mammogram rooms :-)

message 22: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments There’s a Dora Carrington? I’ve heard of Leonora Carrington, I introduced her awhile back. Are they related? I read Leonora’s autobiography and It never mentioned Dora Carrington. Coincidence?

message 23: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments But Leonora Carrington was during WW II so she would be after this artist shot herself...

message 24: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments I just read Wikipedia on Dora Carrington. There is no mention of Leonora but it’s interesting that the date of the two seemed to relate to one generation. Interesting they were both artists.

message 25: by Connie (last edited Apr 16, 2019 07:13PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 368 comments This tells about the movie "Carrington" about Dora Carrington and Lytton Strachey's relationship.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ca...

I haven't seen that movie, but I did see a documentary about the Bloomsbury group and their friends. Lots of talented people, but such tragic events.

message 26: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Thank you, Connie!

message 27: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments Well done Connie!
I thought the mention of Virginia Woolf and the implication of the Bloomsbury group would be the giveaway.

I saw the movie when it came out in 1995 and liked it, but I'm a big fan of Emma Thompson and I also liked the music score by Michael Nyman and bought the CD. I assume it was not really a success in the States?

I still have one more pic:

message 28: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2851 comments Heather wrote: "There’s a Dora Carrington? I’ve heard of Leonora Carrington, I introduced her awhile back. Are they related? I read Leonora’s autobiography and It never mentioned Dora Carrington. Coincidence?"

I remember your introduction of Leonora and was also confused for a moment because I remembered the movie Carrington.

I think it's just a coincidence that there are two female artists with the same name in more or less the same time period, but Leonora was 27 years younger. She met Max Ernst a couple of years after the death of Dora when she was 19.

I doubt they themselves knew about the existence of each other...