Play Book Tag discussion

April 2019: History > Educated by Tara Westover 5 *'s

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 259 comments Tara Westover has written an amazing accounting of a her childhood in Southern Idaho. She is home schooled by a Mother who has limited education herself and forced to work in her father's scrap yard at a very tender age. There was mental illness in the father and brother that forced mental instability into many of the other offspring. The household, led by the fierce father, was strongly religious and read only from the bible or Mormon books with one exception, the Founding Fathers. Given the unspoken nature of many of things that would occur during her childhood, I found such strong parallels to my own upbringing that reading this book would touch off more self-exploration than I was expecting to encounter. I have to say that this book has been quite cathartic for me.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments Wow Margie - that’s so interesting that you had such a personal experience with the book. I found it fascinating because it was so totally different from my own life but I can imagine that it would resonate even more for someone whose experience had even vague overlaps with hers