STEMMinist Book Club discussion

Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong—and the New Research That's Rewriting the Story
This topic is about Inferior
Inferior > Discussion questions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

STEMMinist | 186 comments Mod
Q1. In the intro of “Inferior”, @AngelaDSaini reflects on the loneliness of being a “girl geek”. Did you relate to this section, and do you think social media has changed this for the better?

Q2. What did you make of the correspondence between Darwin & Caroline Kennard described in Ch1 of “Inferior”? How can we reconcile our views of scientific “heroes” in light of their views on gender?

Q3. Many scientists pride themselves on their objectivity, yet they are also human & possess their own biases. What are the best ways to convince our STEMM colleagues to acknowledge and check their own bias & privilege?

Q4. Are there examples in your own field/specialty where you feel that there exists gender bias in regards to research topics or conclusions?

Q5. After reading “Inferior”, have any of your views about biological differences between men and women changed? Why/why not?

Q6. One criticism of “Inferior” has been that @AngelaDSaini is more sympathetic to female researcher led studies. Do you think agree/disagree? As self-declared feminists in STEMM, do we risk succumbing to the same bias we accuse others of?

Q7. What was the most surprising thing you learnt from reading “Inferior”?

Q8. “Female cooperation makes the difference” @AngelaDSaini How can we work together as STEMMinists to confront gender bias & inequity in STEMM fields?

Rosie | 6 comments STEMMinist wrote: "Q1. In the intro of “Inferior”, @AngelaDSaini reflects on the loneliness of being a “girl geek”. Did you relate to this section, and do you think social media has changed this for the better?"

I definitely remember at school being one of only a couple of girls that would count as being a geek. I was lucky I had another female friend to share my interest with science fiction and science with. That it was a mainly male dominated area felt pretty clear though.

Rosie | 6 comments STEMMinist wrote: "Q2. What did you make of the correspondence between Darwin & Caroline Kennard described in Ch1 of “Inferior”? How can we reconcile our views of scientific “heroes” in light of their views on gender?"

I was very disappointed to read the part about Darwin, especially as in other ways I had thought of him as fairly progressive regarding women, encouraging the education of his own daughters. It's a stark reminder that even those who can give valid and important contributions to things are still human and have failures. Also a great example of socially conditioned and unconscious bias.