STEMMinist Book Club discussion

Lab Girl
This topic is about Lab Girl
Lab Girl > Discussion questions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by STEMMinist (new) - added it

STEMMinist | 78 comments Mod
Q1. In “Lab Girl” @hopejahren writes of her desire to be a scientist being founded by “deep instinct” rather than female role models. What role (or not) did role models of #womeninSTEMM play in your career choice?

message 2: by STEMMinist (new) - added it

Q2. .@hopejahren writes of the precision and peculiarities of #scientificwriting in “Lab Girl”. Is this a part of your role that you enjoy? Does formal scientific writing need to be modernised?

message 3: by STEMMinist (new) - added it

Q3.@hopejahren writes of her dilemma as a young scientist - needing to use a machine alone at night but being concerned about a “creepy post-doc”. She brought a wrench with her. Research often involves late nights, how can we ensure a safe environment for all?

message 4: by STEMMinist (new) - added it

Q4.@hopejahren writes of being a scientist “...being able to derive happiness from discovery is a recipe for a beautiful life”. Do you agree? What’s the best part of being a scientist?

message 5: by STEMMinist (new) - added it

Q5. In Ch12 @hopejahren discusses some of the venomous feedback scientists receive as part of grant and paper reviews. How do you stay resilient in the face of harsh criticism, and do you think this type of feedback is gendered in any way?

message 6: by STEMMinist (new) - added it

Q6. “...because I am a female scientist, nobody knows what the hell I am, and it has given me the delicious freedom to make it up as I go along” Does this statement from @hopejahren resonate with you?