You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > May 2019 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Apr 17, 2019 12:43AM) (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Book nomination time! The theme for the May group reads is "historical fiction set before 1919"

Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print AND 2) available as an e-book AND 3) published no less than 3 months ago AND 4) reasonably priced (under $12).

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alones.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close 18th April.

Nominations:
The Red Tent Margo (seconded)
A Great and Terrible Beauty Janice (seconded)
The Horseman Lisa
The Bedlam Stacks Peggy
News of the World Marnie (seconded)
Burial Rites Saar (seconded)
The Good People Sarah (seconded)
Golden Hill Clive

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Apr 14, 2019 05:22AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Too many choices. Way too many choices. I only had a quick look at my TBR and selected about 10 books. A few of them were too long, but I still have 7 left that are set before 1919 and that I would love to read!

I'll have to think about this..

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments I nominate March

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47176 comments I'm struggling finding a book that will work. I really wanted to nominate I Was Anastasia. It starts in 1918, but it spans 20 years. I think the majority of the story is after our cutoff. Sigh.

Everything else I have is over the 400 page limit or may be difficult to get. I'll keep looking.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Apr 14, 2019 09:31AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47176 comments Found one! I will nominate A Great and Terrible Beauty. It's 403 pages (phew), and seems to be easily available.

It's set in 1895 England.

message 6: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1994 comments I'm nominating News of the World

message 7: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments I'm going right back to biblical times here - please can I nominate The Red Tent?

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Apr 14, 2019 12:38PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will nominate Witch Light (also known as Corrag and The Highland Witch)

It's set in the late 17th century, I think around the year 1692.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1623 comments I would like to second a great and terrible beauty. I Hae been wanting to read it forever

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments I would like to second Marnie’s book. News of the World.

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Lisa wrote: "I will nominate Witch Light (also known as Corrag and The Highland Witch)

It's set in the late 17th century, I think around the year 1692."

Unfortunately it's not available as an ebook in the US or UK. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Margo wrote: "I'm going right back to biblical times here - please can I nominate The Red Tent?"

We read this as a group read quite a few years back. We state longer than 2 years, which it has. My only concern is that many of our group read regulars read it. We however have had new members since then so it might still be popular. I'll keep it in the mix.

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Peggy wrote: "I nominate March"

It doesn't look like it's available as an ebook in the US. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Marnie wrote: "I'm nominating News of the World"

Unfortunately it's way over budget for a kindle version of the book on right on the limit for paperback. Would you like to nominate something else?

@Cherie - would you like to second or nominate something else?

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Sorry. Seems i've ruled out the vast majority of them. Back to the drawing board.

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Apr 15, 2019 02:48AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I will nominate Witch Light (also known as Corrag and The Highland Witch)

It's set in the late 17th century, I think around the year 1692..."

Ah, that's annoying! I could have sworn I saw it was available as an ebook. I must have got my wires crossed. No worries, I will nominate The Horseman instead. It's set in 1911.

This turned out to be much harder to find a book for than I thought it would be. I own more historical fiction books than any other genre, yet most of them were either too long, not widely available as an ebook or were set after 1919.

message 17: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Sarah wrote: "Margo wrote: "I'm going right back to biblical times here - please can I nominate The Red Tent?"

We read this as a group read quite a few years back. We state longer than 2 years, whic..."

Oh sorry, I checked the bookshelf and it didn't seem to be on there. I possibly d8d it wrong. Maybe I should pull out? I th8nk I will read it this month anyway ; -)

message 18: by Margo (last edited Apr 15, 2019 03:48AM) (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Sarah wrote: "Sorry. Seems i've ruled out the vast majority of them. Back to the drawing board."

Who would have thought that such a broad topic be so problematic LOL

peggy, March is a wonderful book. Younshould read it anyway ;-)

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47176 comments Lisa wrote: "This turned out to be much harder to find a book for than I thought it would be. I own more historical fiction books than any other genre, yet most of them were either too long, not widely available as an ebook or were set after 1919. .."

I have a lot of HF in my shelves but they are either set in WWII or over 400 pages long.

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Sarah wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I nominate March"

It doesn't look like it's available as an ebook in the US. Would you like to nominate something else?"

I found it here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=march+gera...

First book on the list. It's 12.99 though, which is 99 cents above the price limit. Shall I nominate something else anyway?

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Sarah wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I nominate March"

It doesn't look like it's available as an ebook in the US. Would you like to nominate something else?"

That's interesting. That is how I read it from my library last year when I read it for the yearly challenge.

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Peggy wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I nominate March"

I found it here: https://www.amaz..."

Oh man. I have two paperbacks of it here.

message 23: by Cherie (last edited Apr 15, 2019 08:10AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments News of the World is available as a Nook book for $11.99 here. I have not checked my library availability. It just happened to be on my TBR list.

I am sorry, I do not have anything to nominate or second at this time. I will look at what I have on my tablet when I pick it up later. It just happened to be on my TBR list. Unfortunately, I am in pretty much the same plight as Janice.

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Cherie wrote: "News of the World is available as a Nook book for $11.99 here. I have not checked my library availability. It just happened to be on my TBR list.

I am sorry, I do not have anything to nominate or ..."

It's 11.99 on amazon kindle too.

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments The only thing on my book list that might appeal is Changeling. It is a first in series. It is available from Kindle at $9.29 and Nook for $9.99. My library has it in print. I am pretty sure I bought it on sale at one time as I have it as an ebook. The hardcover is 256 pages. I have not read anything by this author yet.

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Peggy wrote: "First book on the list. "

I followed that link and clicked on the book. Whilst it starts kindle in the options when you click on it states that it is not available for purchase. So best nominate something else.

message 27: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Cherie wrote: "News of the World is available as a Nook book for $11.99 here. I have not checked my library availability. It just happened to be on my TBR list.

I am sorry, I do not have anything to nominate or ..."

We go with Amazon for availability and because kindle is the most used ebook format.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Odd you saw a price for the News of the world for Kindle Peggy. A kindle version doesn't show up at all for me. It's not because I'm in the UK and don't have a .com account, kindle versions and prices show up on there for other books. Very odd.

message 29: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments @Margo, no worries. Let's keep it in the mix as it does make for a good group discussion.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Cherie wrote: "The only thing on my book list that might appeal is Changeling. It is a first in series. It is available from Kindle at $9.29 and Nook for $9.99. My library has it in print. I am pr..."

Are you nominating it?

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Sarah wrote: "Peggy wrote: "First book on the list. "

I followed that link and clicked on the book. Whilst it starts kindle in the options when you click on it states that it is not available for purchase. So b..."

That's so strange! Is it country restrictions? I sometimes also can't buy certain kindle titles through amazon.com because I'm not in the US. But they are available for US people. But then in this case, why can I buy it and you can't? I'm not quite sure how this works..

I have other options. I'll check them for availability before I nominate.

message 32: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Sarah wrote: "Odd you saw a price for the News of the world for Kindle Peggy. A kindle version doesn't show up at all for me. It's not because I'm in the UK and don't have a .com account, kindle versions and pri..."

It tends to happen for some books. Maybe publisher's country restrictions? Or because we don't have our own amazon but you do?

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Could well be restrictions causing some problems. I guess we might have to all pull together then determine availability for some of the books then.

message 34: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Regional restrictions make a lot of audiobooks unavailable to me. It is not such a big thing with kindle books but it can happen.

message 35: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments FYI: March is not available on kindle to me either.

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments I found another one, which I think works (at least for me): The Bedlam Stacks. I'll nominate that one instead of March.

Saar The Book owl | 1638 comments I nominate Burial Rites
It's reasonably priced for paperback and e - book.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments I'm in the US and News of the World is available to me as a Kindle for $11.99. March is available for $12.99.

message 39: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Wow! Who would have thought this theme would cause so many problems? It seems like it would yield a wide range of possibilities. Oh well, my TBR got some additions anyway.

I wasn't around a few years ago when you all read The Red Tent, and I'd like to read it. So I'll second Margo's nomination.

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Kristie wrote: "I'm in the US and News of the World is available to me as a Kindle for $11.99. March is available for $12.99."

Thanks Kristie.

Ok I'll say yes to Marnie's nomination of News of the World then.

We'll stick with a no to March as it's above the budget and Peggy has nominated The Bedlam Stacks instead.

message 41: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I nominate Burial Rites
It's reasonably priced for paperback and e - book."

We read this as a group read in 2014. I have the same concerns as Th Red Tent for this one as it was a well attended read but the group has changed mrmbership somewhat and it's been longer than 2 years so i'll kerp it in the mix.

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18117 comments While on the subject of Hannah Kent, I'm goung to nominate The Good People

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47176 comments Sarah wrote: "While on the subject of Hannah Kent, I'm goung to nominate The Good People"

Good one, Sarah! I've been meaning to read that one since it came out.

message 44: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16709 comments Geo-restrictions are a pain in the arse. It's a digital file. You download the same file from the same server whether you are in Colorado, Croatia, China, or Canberra. It's insane. Welcome, ladies and gentleman, to the Aussie tax.

It is 120% cheaper to pay for and download the Adobe Suite in the States or Europe, than Australia for example. Same files, same server, different land address. Publishers do the same thing for e-books. There is no reason for digital books (e or audio) it except milking money in certain markets. And relying on the fact that you can't buy a book somewhere and ship it, or we are too dependent on devices and don't want a paper copy.

BAH

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12948 comments The book I wanted to nominate is much too long, but it's ok because the books that have already been nominated all look so good. I have several available through my library, so I'm bound to end up with something I want to read as a group read. With that said, I will second Burial Rites because I own that one and it's been on my tbr for a long time now.

message 46: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Sarah wrote: "Are you nominating it?..."

Sorry, Sarah. Yes, I was nominating Changeling, unless the one I seconded is back on.

message 47: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Well, so far, I have read everything nominated except News of the World and The Bedlam Stacks. All were good reads for me.

Sarah - you can dump Changeling. It is okay with me. I still may read it, depending on what two books win.

message 48: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14595 comments Burial Rites is fantastic. When I read it I remember wishing I was doing it as a buddy read or group read.

message 49: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Janice wrote: "Sarah wrote: "While on the subject of Hannah Kent, I'm goung to nominate The Good People"

Good one, Sarah! I've been meaning to read that one since it came out."

Ya, I enjoyed The Good People even more than Burial Rites. Both worth reading.

message 50: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Rusalka wrote: "Geo-restrictions are a pain in the arse. It's a digital file. You download the same file from the same server whether you are in Colorado, Croatia, China, or Canberra. It's insane. Welcome, ladies ..."

HALLELUJAH!!!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.