What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Studs Lonigan
This topic is about Studs Lonigan
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. American, toughs, late 1800's early 1900's Author used to be very famous and he wrote about early gangs. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P. (blue411) | 8 comments Genre- American, toughs, late 1800's early 1900's Author used to be very famous and he wrote about early gangs- Think De Nero's, Once Upon A Time In America - movie
Characters with funny names - Stokes, Noodles, etc., sort of West Side Story but not
I want the authors name. Thanks.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori | 73 comments It could be Damon Runyon. He often wrote about gangsters and quite a few of his stories were turned into movies such as Guys and Dolls.

message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 115 comments Presumably you have eliminated the novel that Once Upon A Time In America was based upon especially since De Nero's character is called Noodles in the book and the movie.

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Apr 14, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1589 comments I was thinking Damon Runyon too, but his stories are quite humorous, not serious like Mario Puzo.

There was a novelization of the movie Once Upon A Time In America. The screenplay was original, not based upon a book; however, it was inspired by Harry Grey's works.

message 5: by P. (last edited Apr 16, 2019 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

P. (blue411) | 8 comments SOLVED

I Thank you all
You all helped me find it on Goodreads. I followed your suggestions and found, on the side, a reference to other books and saw and read the preview of;
Studs Lonigan by James T. Farrell
I Thank you all.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32226 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, P. Here's the link - Studs Lonigan by James T. Farrell.