Slay Girl Slay Book Club discussion

April 2019 > The Importance of Friendship

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SGS (new)

SGS | 49 comments Mod
While family relationships are at the heart of the novel, friendships are crucially important as well. Which friendship pairings—Lillian and Nai Nai; Viola and David; Althea and Mercedes—were most resonant?

message 2: by Robbin (last edited Sep 16, 2019 08:03AM) (new)

Robbin (curlqueenreads) | 11 comments I loved all the friendship pairings but I felt like the relationship between Althea and Mercedes was the most resonant. I feel like the friendship they created is one of the main reasons Althea for one is trying to be a better person and Mercedes is determined to turn her life around. They both came from backgrounds where they clearly didn't have many friends, which was something Althea didn't even realize until she was sitting in a cell. Then their friendship spilled over into Althea's family. The fact that Mercedes was the one who actually found Kim and was trying to talk her down spoke volumes to me. Its all about being in the right place at the right time. Without her friendship with Althea, she might've not even been in their house to find Kim and stop her from hurting herself.

Also, I feel like their friendship proved that you can't always judge a book by its cover you have to scratch beneath the surface to get a clearer picture. Proctor kept telling Althea to watch herself with Mercedes when in reality Mercedes was probably a good influence and deep inside all she wanted was a fair chance to get her life together. That's a friendship that would've never blossomed if they both weren't in their current circumstances. So again it's about being in the right place at the right time.