What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Great Good Thing
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Book in which the characters in a book of the book know they are in a book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments I read this in 2013~2014. I don't remember characters or the author or the title, but I know the plot of which I will describe below. And the cover was of a girl standing in front of a forest, which looked to be growing out from the pages of a book. Spoilers:

The book begins when a girl, probably with nothing to do, finds a book that hadn't been read in years.

The main character of this book, a princess, is sitting by a lake or river saddened by the fact that her book hasn't been read in a long time. Thus, when the girl opens the book the princess describes it as the sky opening up and she can see the face of the reader peering down on her. The girl can not see the characters of the book, simply imagining them in her mind's eye as one does while reading. The princess and the other characters must then act out their plot and say their dialogue. She is told by her mother, the Queen, not to look up at the reader (as it would break the fourth wall is the reason, but never mentioned) multiple times.

The girl eventually finishes the book and it is left alone again. The book is eventually destroyed in some way and the characters die.

The girl grows up and becomes a mother. She tells the story of the characters to her daughter. The daughter grows up and rewrites the book. Because they now exist again the characters all come back, albeit different as it is a retelling.

Thank you to anyone who can help with this and anyone who tries. My friend has already pointed out the irony that I am technically living the plot.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments Yess that's it I'm tearing up also will you marry me? Thank you so much

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4984 comments You’re welcome, Emily! That’s a very good book. I must reread it.
Let’s be friends.