Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Hodge Podge Folder > Game of Thrones After Show Special 2019 (GOT ASS 2.0)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Get ready motherfuckers it is gonna be a wild ride

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
CAN'T WAIT

message 3: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments AHH SO SOON!

Who are you rooting for?

message 4: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I'm sooooo excited!!!

message 5: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
I’m hoping Tyrion will be revealed as a Targaryen and join forces with what’s left of his family

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Good stuff

message 7: by Rob (last edited Apr 14, 2019 09:29PM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments Ah. Should've been subscribed to this thread already! My wife and I thought the episode was rather good and are looking forward to next week. Damn shame no Tully's are riding forth, but you never know. I enjoyed that it wasn't an all happy, yes now we're together and we fight traditional epic fantasy thing, but a more realistic skepticism and maneuvering.

Watched some of the actor's thoughts clips. Love hearing Iain Glenn's real scottish accent. :)

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2881 comments It was a good episode but not great. Seemed mostly focused on reintroducing the characters, which would be fine with a normal season. I feel a bit robbed as there are only 5 episodes left for real plot progress.

message 9: by Kathrine (last edited Apr 15, 2019 06:25AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments @Rob: (view spoiler)

@Narilka: Agree, seemed like this was mostly an episode setting up the rest of the season by getting characters into the right places.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments Kathrine - (view spoiler)

message 11: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Aaaahhh... I still need to wait 5 hours before the episode is available over here :/

message 12: by Kathrine (last edited Apr 15, 2019 06:23AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chris wrote: "Kathrine"

Hahaha, (view spoiler)

message 13: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2881 comments @Katherine (view spoiler)

I never really considered... is the show released a day later to Europe?

message 14: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Narilka wrote: "@Katherine [spoilers removed]

I never really considered... is the show released a day later to Europe?"

(view spoiler)

It airs the same time on HBO all over the world, I think? But for Europeans (at least in my time zone) that means it airs at 3 am on Monday instead of 9 pm on Sunday. But it might air later on other places than HBO?

message 15: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Narilka wrote: "It was a good episode but not great. Seemed mostly focused on reintroducing the characters, which would be fine with a normal season. I feel a bit robbed as there are only 5 episodes left for real ..."

My thoughts exactly!! I was expecting more.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 701 comments I am so excited that this thread exists! (Should've known there would be one though lol, didn't even cross my mind)

@Narilka and Siobhan I totally agree. Definitely felt robbed by the minimal progress. I don't think I learned anything new in that episode. It was just an episode to remind us that there are still people alive and doing things.

I feel like I was and I wasn't expecting more. Ever since the show ran out of books it seems to be more about that classic Hollywood blockbuster look and less about a well thought out, meticulous plot.

(view spoiler)

And I agree with you guys about Sansa, but wasn't really surprised by her prickliness. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I think I'm in the minority here but I freaking loved it. I know not much actually happened and it was essentially 40 mins of here are the characters, but I was okay with that.

It felt like when you've been reading a long book series and the characters have been spread out over time and space and they finally all come together in one place. Pretty much everyone (view spoiler)

message 18: by Rob (last edited Apr 18, 2019 06:46AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments Charlie wrote: "I think I'm in the minority here but I freaking loved it. I know not much actually happened and it was essentially 40 mins of here are the characters, but I was okay with that.

It felt like when y..."

No, you're not alone. I really enjoyed it as well. An episode like this was absolutely necessary before the jump into longer/more fraught episodes. Can't get this show off my mind this week (or off my facebook feed for that matter). Need to see the next one. In the meantime, we've been watching The Good Fight's most recent season which of course includes Rose Leslie as one of the main characters. It's pretty awesome too :)

The Bronn plotline has me the most worried. Does he lurk and shoot when we least expect it? Does he play at turning sides (and then kill Tyrion and Jamie (using friendly fire as a cover?) they've dealt with the white walkers) does he honestly turn sides? Hoping for the latter.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Margret wrote: "I’m hoping Tyrion will be revealed as a Targaryen and join forces with what’s left of his family"

For some bizarre reason I see Tyrion on the throne...Haven't read the spoilers yet, but will watch the episode this evening. I think it is normal that there is nothing revealed in the first episode. It's a recap on what had happened last season. I think it will take a slow pace as it is the last season.
My collegue at work said that there isn't going to be a new series about the book 'Fire and blood', but there will be a new series about the era before the Targaryens.

message 20: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I love The Good Fight! I watched season 1 recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

RE Bronn: i remember way back when, Tyrion said something to him like 'if anyone tries to turn you against me, come to me and i'll double their offer', I'm hoping that that idea, combined with the fact that Bronn is sort of friends with with Jamie and Tyrion, will save them.

I actually think that Tyrion would genuinely make an excellent king. He's crazy smart and actually a decent human being. If he's the only one left, I'd be okay with that.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments @Charlie: Tyrion said that in the last episode of season 7, before they were meeting Cersei to negotiate.
I'd be okay with that too. He would do great on the throne.

message 22: by jess (new)

jess (nu6586) | 1722 comments Tagging this though I havent started this season yet

message 23: by Rob (last edited Apr 21, 2019 08:02PM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments Episode 2: Despite two interruptions in mid-episode by the kids, we got through it. Really loved the episode (view spoiler)

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 701 comments Rob wrote: "Episode 2: Despite two interruptions in mid-episode by the kids, we got through it. Really loved the episode [spoilers removed]"

I definitely liked this episode better than the first one.

(view spoiler)

Overall thoughts on Episode 2: (view spoiler)

message 25: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Episode 2 - My favourite part was (view spoiler)

message 26: by Chris (last edited Apr 22, 2019 09:43AM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments Loving the season so far, but...

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Siobhan (last edited Apr 22, 2019 09:55AM) (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Chris wrote: "Loving the season so far, but...."

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments How did I miss that? Guess I need to watch again.

message 29: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Episode 2 was absolutely amazing – like among my top 10 GoT episodes ever. They managed to recapture that Game of Thrones feeling from s1–4 that I feel has been missing these past few seasons.

(view spoiler)

Anyone got any theories on who'll die? I have a few: (view spoiler) God I'm gonna cry so much next week.

message 30: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments My theories!

I suspect Ed and Beric Dondarrion are high-risk candidates to die. Theon is taking a prime spot to be dead. Since he can't have kids and his sister has the Iron Islands and wants to defend Winterfell.....Pod and Brienne are at high risk too. Random theory Pod dies defending Brienne and is knighted before he dies.

I love Jorah and Jamie and don't want either to die, but I suspect both will die before the series ends but think their plotlines warrant something after the fight with the White Walkers. I guess there is a chance Jorah could die in a scenario where a dragon gets injured and he protects Dany then. Makes more sense to me that he would give Sam back heartsbane (after John or Dany name him Warden of the South). I think the brothers have to live to deal with bronn and cersei.

Clegane has to live to deal with Gregor.

Tormund doesn't have much of a plotline after the White Walkers though I have this idea in my head that somehow he becomes the new lord of Hearth's Home/Umbers.

We haven't seen much of Varys, but I think he might be integral to the Kings Landing plot after the White Walkers.

I'd be very surprised if any of the Starks die in the next episode. I can see one Rheago getting injured and Ghost coming to save him and maybe a passing of the torch from stark to targ going on?

message 31: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Rob wrote: "My theories!

I suspect Ed and Beric Dondarrion are high-risk candidates to die. Theon is taking a prime spot to be dead. Since he can't have kids and his sister has the Iron Islands and wants to d..."

Re: Jaime: (view spoiler)

Pretty much agree with the rest

message 32: by Anni (last edited Apr 23, 2019 07:22AM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Great theories :) I just watched episode 2 and I liked it so much more than episode 1!
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Great theories :) I just watched episode 2 and I liked it so much more than episode 1!

Yayyy for the Davos love! 😅❤️

message 34: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments I am actually baffled by what Davos will even do during the battle and where he'll be stationed (well along with Sam).

I think I need to rewatch this episode just prior to the next one to build up the drama :)

message 35: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2881 comments Loved episode 2! So much better than last week.

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments Book version of the Night's King (who has not actually appeared in the books at all. Only been mentioned as part of Westeros history/mythology)

"According to legend, Night's King lived during the Age of Heroes, not long after the Wall was complete. He was a fearless warrior named the thirteenth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Later, he fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars". He chased her and loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well. Night's King brought her back to the Nightfort and after the unholy union, he declared himself king and her his queen, and ruled the Nightfort as his own castle for thirteen years.[1]

During the dark years of his reign, horrific atrocities were committed, of which tales are still told in the north. It was not until Brandon the Breaker, the King of Winter, and Joramun, the King-Beyond-the-Wall, joined forces that Night's King was brought down and the Night's Watch freed.[2] After his fall, when it was discovered that Night's King had been making sacrifices to the Others, all records of him were destroyed and his very name was forbidden and forgotten.[1] It is likely this led the lords of the north to forbid the Night's Watch to construct walls at their keeps, ensuring the keeps would always be accessible from the south.

Maesters are skeptical of the legend, thinking the Night's King's corpse queen was possibly a daughter of a Barrow King from the barrowlands.[2] Some fan theories link her with the Others because of her description."

message 37: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I thoughts episode 2 was great. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Charlie wrote: "I thoughts episode 2 was great. It was another episode where not much happened and there was a lot of talking but I really loved that. I enjoy all the character development.

Highlights for me..."

About wrapping up the story: (view spoiler)

message 39: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Kathrine

That's a great theory! I hope that's the case!

message 40: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments Kathrine wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I thoughts episode 2 was great. It was another episode where not much happened and there was a lot of talking but I really loved that. I enjoy all the character development.

Highl..."

Interesting! Definitely, an angle I didn't think about except....(view spoiler)

message 41: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2881 comments @Rob Thanks for the book quote. I wonder if the show is going to keep that.

@Katherine That would be so amazing! Great theory!!

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Just finished episode 2! I loved reading all the theories. I especially love the (view spoiler)

Honestly, at this point (view spoiler)

message 43: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I could also get behind the Onion King.

message 44: by Rob (last edited Apr 23, 2019 08:03AM) (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1912 comments Jenna wrote: "I could also get behind the Onion King."

Sounds more like he starts his own franchise restaurant? I'd dine there and pledge fealty.

message 45: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Jenna wrote: "I could also get behind the Onion King."

😂❤️

message 46: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Jenna wrote: "I could also get behind the Onion King."

Yassss!! 🙌

message 47: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Jenna wrote: "I could also get behind the Onion King."

Man, I never knew I wanted this so much. Davos would be the best king!

message 48: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Thank you!! I'm so happy you all believe in King Davos! 😅😍

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 701 comments Holy moly that was an intense epic episode!!!!!! Can't wait to hear your guys thoughts. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1748 comments Im still processing

« previous 1 3 4