Prize Readers discussion

Awards Roundup > 2019 Best Translated Book Award for Fiction

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
The Best Translated Book Award is an American literary award that recognizes the previous year's best original translation into English, one book of poetry and one of fiction. It was inaugurated in 2008 and is conferred by Three Percent, the online literary magazine of Open Letter Books, which is the book translation press of the University of Rochester. A long list and short list are announced leading up to the award.

The award takes into consideration not only the quality of the translation but the entire package: the work of the original writer, translator, editor, and publisher. The award is "an opportunity to honor and celebrate the translators, editors, publishers, and other literary supporters who help make literature from other cultures available to American reader.

The longlist was announced on the Millions here: https://themillions.com/2019/04/best-....

I created the listopia longlist, and it's available here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1....

It's a long longlist so I'll just link the list rather than including them in this post, sorry gang.

By chance, I read two. I bought 4 others in the previous couple of months because a buddy of mine at my local indie bookstore (A Room of One's Own) is actually one of the judges--he kept pushing these titles on me but wouldn't divulge whether or not they were on the list or not. He kept saying "I don't know, but just know that I really loved these books!"

I liked Flights a lot. The Hospital was...nuts.

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Yes, a long list.

I have one DNF from this list:
Moon Brow - And I have already given the book away

I have read three:
Slave Old Man
Convenience Store Woman
Flights

I have three unread: (and since I am suppose to be reading books I already have I will probably read these)
People in the Room
Lion Cross Point
Seventeen

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Best Translated Book Awards Names 2019 Finalists

https://themillions.com/2019/05/best-...

Here are the fiction finalists (if interested you can see the poetry finalists in the link above):

Congo Inc.: Bismarck’s Testament by In Koli Jean Bofane,
translated from the French by Marjolijn de Jager (Democratic Republic of Congo, Indiana University Press)

The Hospital by Ahmed Bouanani, translated from the French by Lara Vergnaud (Morocco, New Directions)

Slave Old Man by Patrick Chamoiseau, translated from the French by Linda Coverdale (Martinique, New Press)

Pretty Things by Virginie Despentes, translated from the French by Emma Ramadan, (France, Feminist Press)

Moon Brow by Shahriar Mandanipour, translated from the Persian by Khalili Sara (Iran, Restless Books)

Bricks and Mortar by Clemens Meyer, translated from the German by Katy Derbyshire (Germany, Fitzcarraldo Editions)

Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata, translated from the Japanese by Ginny Tapley Takemori (Japan, Grove)

The Governesses by Anne Serre, translated from the French by Mark Hutchinson (France, New Directions)

Öræfï by Ófeigur Sigurðsson, translated from the Icelandic by Lytton Smith (Iceland, Deep Vellum)

Fox by Dubravka Ugresic, translated from the Croatian by Ellen Elias-Bursac and David Williams (Croatia, Open Letter)

Five of the finalist are French translations.

message 4: by Bob (new)

Ah thanks! I’m starting Convenience Store Woman today—see if I can’t get to the rest!

message 5: by Bob (new)

Tomorrow is the big day for this award. As I will not finish any more books before the announcement, I thought I'd rank what I'd read:

Slave Old Man
Convenience Store Woman
Governesses
Hospital

Got a couple more in my TBR. I really loved Slave Old Man, but I've read Fox and Oraefi are spectacular books.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Bob wrote: "Tomorrow is the big day for this award. As I will not finish any more books before the announcement, I thought I'd rank what I'd read:

Slave Old Man
Convenience Store Woman
Governesses
Hospital
..."

I also enjoyed Slave Old Man and Convenience Store Woman.

Moon Brow was a DNF for me - I just could not get into the storyline.

I have Congo, Inc. on my shelf and will get to it at some time.

But I am interested to see which books win.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments I read 16 off the longlist amost were worth the read and some exceptional. I think Fox was the best of the bunch and I would recommend it to all.

message 8: by Bob (new)

Hello, friends! The winners for the BTBA 2019 have been announced, here: https://themillions.com/2019/05/and-t...

The fiction winner was Slave Old Man by Patrick Chamoiseau, a wonderful novel and deserving winner! I hope, however, to continue to read from this longlist!

message 9: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 142 comments Bob wrote: "Hello, friends! The winners for the BTBA 2019 have been announced, here: https://themillions.com/2019/05/and-t...

The fiction winner was [..."

Yeah! I have been rooting for The Old Slave Man since last year.