Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Please add this book to the library

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CCC (new)

CCC | 71 comments please add this book to the library, many thanks!

* Title: L'usine: The Story behind "Made in Taiwan"
* Author(s) name(s): Yu-chi Yang
* ISBN (or ASIN): 978-988-12555-3-2
* Publisher: Slowork documentary Graphic Publishing Limited
* Publication date: December 2014
* Format: Offset paperback
* Description:

"In 90s, a lot of Taiwanese factories moved to China for the cheaper workers, The factories left, but the workers stayed. This story continues today. Behind the "made in Taiwan" label, there were a few millions of factory workers who made the product that you bought.
This work is inspired by the experience of the author's mother. Yu-chi's mother was one of them, this is a story about her, but also about the other factory workers of her time.."
(copied from the publisher's website)

* Page count:32
* Link to book page:
http://www.sloworkpublishing.com/en/c...

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13005 comments Which language edition did you want to add?

message 3: by CCC (new)

CCC | 71 comments Thanks for your attention. In fact, the content of this comic book is mostly wordless but the texts are in Chinese, English and French. Therefore, the edition I have is trilingual.

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13005 comments ah ok. That would explain my confusion! I will work on it.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13005 comments To someone else:

This is the Worldcat record:
https://www.worldcat.org/title/gong-c...

Here's the book cover from the publisher:
https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

I'm unsure what to put as the title. Should it be
工廠 : 在世界工廠的背後 / L'Usine / Factory: The Story Behind "Made in Taiwan"
?
In the order it appears on the cover, with the different languages it would look something like:
工廠 / L'Usine : 在世界工廠的背後 / The Story Behind "Made in Taiwan"
What do you think?

message 6: by CCC (new)

CCC | 71 comments Thank you so much for your time and effort in searching for the information of the book!
I don't know much about the proper way of putting the title but it seems both are ok depending on which focus the title wants to emphasize.
According to some publishers (e.g. Penguin and Sage), this book can be written as a parallel title.
工廠 : 在世界工廠的背後= L'Usine = Factory: The Story Behind "Made in Taiwan"
Chinese is placed first because the very first edition was in Chinese only.
Please correct me if I am wrong as I am no expert in this.
Many thanks for your help!

message 7: by CCC (new)

CCC | 71 comments Hi Emily,
What do you think about the suggested title?
Many thanks for your help?

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13562 comments I would put = between the titles, as Chuchuchu suggested. That is the official way to record the same title in different languages.

/ between titles generally denotes different titles in one book (omnibus editions, etc.)

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13005 comments OH that is so obvious. I am so used to seeing the slashes I didn't think of that. Thanks! :-D

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jun 11, 2019 06:09PM) (new)

rivka | 41701 comments Mod
lethe wrote: "That is the official way to record the same title in different languages."

Official in what sense? There is no agreed-upon format on Goodreads, and I often see = or / or []. (My personal preference is for [].)

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13005 comments I associate [] with transliteration so I wouldn't have thought of that one. Thanks.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41701 comments Mod
I do use [] for transliterations as well. Having the title in multiple languages is less common, at least with the books I tend to work on.

message 14: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13562 comments rivka wrote: "lethe wrote: "That is the official way to record the same title in different languages."

Official in what sense? There is no agreed-upon format on Goodreads, and I often see = or / or []. (My pers..."

Official as in international standard book cataloguing rules. I know there is no "official" format on GR, but since / and [] are used for other things, I think having a separate notation for parallel titles is more clear.

Besides, it makes sense, since = means "equals" :)