Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Influx of review offers

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Hi, has anyone else received emails recently offering to review their books? It seems like over the past month or so I've had at least a dozen emails, from a variety of sources (none of which look or sound the least bit safe or legit) offering to review my book(s).

I've been burnt too many times in the past to even think about replying to any of these emails, but I was wondering if it's just me, or if others have been receiving them.

I don't know what's caused all of this, or if it's the same person/people behind all the emails. All I know is, if I get any more, I'm going to start making them as spam.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Morawski | 3 comments Yes I got about a dozen right after I published on Amazon. I suspect all scams. Last year I tried one and never received any reviews. I demanded and got a refund from Paypal.

message 3: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4583 comments Mod
Tons of them- I delete them.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments It's a relief to hear that it's not just me, though annoying for all of us, I'm sure.

I have simply been deleting them, Carole, but I'm beginning to wonder if marking them as spam might get more of a result when it comes to stopping them (I doubt it, but it might be worth trying).

message 5: by Carole (new)

You can try that, Alex. I don't care- I just delete them as annoying. It's not as though I am going to answer them.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "You can try that, Alex. I don't care- I just delete them as annoying. It's not as though I am going to answer them."

Ignoring is probably the best way.

Unfortunately, those who are new to publishing might get sucked in by them and either end up out of pocket or in trouble with Amazon.

I just don't understand why people feel the need to do this kind of thing.

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1115 comments I've marked them as spam in the past. I haven't seen any recently.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "I've marked them as spam in the past. I haven't seen any recently."

Maybe marking them as spam has got rid of them for you, lucky you.

message 9: by Carole (new)

It’s a good idea. I never think about it tho. I am usually in such a rush lol

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "It’s a good idea. I never think about it tho. I am usually in such a rush lol"

I'm not surprised you're usually in a rush, how else would you accomplish everything you do.

You remind me of my gran, she was never still. If she had been at all business-minded, I suspect she would have been just like you, constantly working and never stopping, and achieving loads.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1490 comments Mod
Same here. A lot of them want me to send my book as a PDF. I'll pass. Too many pirates out there.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Erica wrote: "Same here. A lot of them want me to send my book as a PDF. I'll pass. Too many pirates out there."

And not the fun kind of pirates with eye patches, wooden legs and parrots either.

message 13: by Carole (new)

Arrrgh!

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "Arrrgh!"

Lol.

message 15: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1696 comments Alex wrote: "Hi, has anyone else received emails recently offering to review their books? It seems like over the past month or so I've had at least a dozen emails, from a variety of sources (none of which look ..."

I've received a handful lately. Not a lot, but previously I hadn't received any.

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I guess it must be the season for them. I've noticed over the years that these kind of things come in waves. Nothing for ages, then an absolute flurry of them.

Hopefully the emails will die off soon.

message 17: by Píaras (new)

Píaras Cíonnaoíth | 29 comments I’ve been reviewing books for many years and I know how some of these scams work. My advice to all authors reading this is: DO NOT BE TEMPTED. IT’S NOT WORTH IT.

The simple fact is, a genuine reviewer would never ask to review your book. It’s the author who approaches the reviewer, not the other way around. Mark it as spam and move on.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1115 comments Alex wrote: "Anna Faversham wrote: "I've marked them as spam in the past. I haven't seen any recently."

Maybe marking them as spam has got rid of them for you, lucky you."

I've just checked my spam folder and there they are, in all their glory. One chap says he has 14,000 readers waiting to read and review. Another shirtily says she can't download a pdf from my site so please send to her email address, another says... and so it goes on.

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments I just don't understand the mentality of some people, expecting something for nothing, worse, trying to con people into sending them a free book.
It's not as if there aren't enough free books available out there already, why put in the effort to get one when it isn't necessary.

message 20: by Carole (new)

I think many of them are pirates who download the book on those sites where everyone can read for free.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1115 comments Dangerous waters, this writing game!

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Yes, got to keep your weather eye open, the cannons loaded, and be ready to repel boarders.

message 23: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I'd never received any until recent weeks when I've received a few. I read one or two. I don't like the tone of some of them. "If you're serious about marketing your book..." As if not taking them up on their offer is damaging to your writing career and their review is the one that's going to sway the reader.

message 24: by Carole (new)

I feel like they're all frustrated authors trying to make a buck on the writing community.

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "I feel like they're all frustrated authors trying to make a buck on the writing community."

You're probably right, they're the same sort of people (if not the same people) who have been gaming the KU system. The only thing they care about is making a buck, and they don't care if it comes at the expense of someone else.

I don't like those kinds of people.

message 26: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments You're probably both right. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had these emails. I did briefly wonder if I was missing out by not taking them up on their offer. It's so difficult to know who to trust. The pirates have done a lot of damage and they didn't even have the decency to wear eye patches.

Arrrgggghhh.

message 27: by Cate (new)

Cate M. Turner (cmtauthor) | 11 comments I get them all the time too. I just delete and ignore. Going into the author business, I always understood that you send them a book as "payment"not cash. More annoying are the users on Instagram who message me saying they want to review my book, and then send a price list. I've gotten a dozen of those. Is there that much money to be made as a book reviewer (despite it being forbidden by Amazon to pay for a review)?

message 28: by Carole (new)

Smart to ignore

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread