Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Discussions and Questions > Good Article on 70's Sexual Revolution and Romance Novels

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 200 comments Thank you, that was very interesting. The one thing that played a big part in liberating females is contraception.

message 3: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments Damb straight!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Mel wrote: "Thank you, that was very interesting. The one thing that played a big part in liberating females is contraception."

I agree!

message 5: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Apr 22, 2019 04:03PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Gurl wrote: "https://pictorial.jezebel.com/the-swe..."

Thanks Gurl. A very interesting article. Now I have justification for blaming the feminists for the present-day state of genre!

message 6: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Apr 22, 2019 05:39PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Mel wrote: "Thank you, that was very interesting. The one thing that played a big part in liberating females is contraception."

In the United States, availability of the birth control pill starting in the 60s coincided with the sexual revolution that began here in the same decade, and the striking down of anti-miscegenation laws by the US Supreme court in the late 60s. These were the laws on the books in the US that made it illegal for interracial couples to marry (controlling/banning interracial sexual intercourse).

Also, in 1962, Sex and The Single Girl by Helen Gurley Brown, was published. She went on later to found Cosmopolitan Magazine a couple years later in the same decade, amid much controversy. I recently read an HF (Park Avenue Summer) novel about (HGB's Battle) the launch of the magazine from the POV of her assistant via Netgalley.

In fact, I still need to write the review for the book. According to Park Avenue Summer, Sex and The Single Girl was a hit, but shocking and controversial in the 60s. The idea of young single women having sex just for pleasure alone! HGB had appearances on talk shows amid the notoriety of the book, but the title itself could not be mentioned on TV!

So, this is what was going on in the US just before The Flame and the Flower and Sweet Savage Love took the country by storm!

message 7: by Gurl (new)

Gurl (gurl888) | 62 comments Yes a lot was going on before the BR finally cut loose--pun intended. As you mention Women Having Sex For Pleasure was a huge point, one we probably cannot even fathom as it is so far removed from today--sex no longer taboo and you are not a dirty whore if you like it! I think the BR did it's part to reflect women's true desires...ok I'm done ; )

Yes, write your review for PAS!