Play Book Tag discussion

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI
This topic is about Killers of the Flower Moon
April 2019: History > Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann-5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Darci Day | 129 comments This is the best book I've read in a long, long time. I love narrative non-fiction, but oftentimes the author tries too hard to make it 'interesting' and leaves me feeling like a voyeur. (This was my biggest issue with The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America). Grann never forgets that he is writing about real people. The book is impressively thorough, but never boring. I appreciated the backstory and history he provided, to let the reader know how circumstances had gotten to what they were when the 'story' began.

This was definitely an emotional book to read, and one that will stick with me for a very long time.

Booknblues | 5351 comments I loved the book when I read it as well.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 13, 2019 09:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4896 comments I very much agree with your comments. I liked this book so much, I read it twice. (The second time was for a bookclub). I know it's a little slow going, so I understand why some people don't finish it. But I feel a little pain when I hear someone call it boring. (My husband didn't get past the first chapter.)

I liked every section for a different reason, and I admired his ability to reveal the personality or character of a person without fictionalizing the story. This was a great feat of research. I want to read another of his books, but the topics aren't calling to me.

I wasn't crazy about The Devil in the White City either, but it might have partly been due to squeamishness. But I really enjoyed Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania , particularly when he revealed the intrigue involving Britain's efforts to get American to join the war.

I don 't think I've read many other Narrative non-fiction books, but I'm much more open to them now. These books have ruined some historical fiction for me. I have a lot of books on my to-read list that involve real-life people or the daughters/wives of famous people. Many of them are so carelessly and shamelessly fictionalized, it makes me leery of the whole genre. I still love historical fiction, but I search the reviews for comments about accuracy, the author's research, etc.

Nikki | 661 comments Great review - I absolutely loved this book (although I've still never got around to writing a review of it because I wanted to take the time to do it justice and now I've left it so long that I'll probably need to re-read it to refresh my memory first...). I agree that it's refreshing to see an author approaching his subjects so respectfully.