Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > CEELEE'S MARCH MADNESS READS

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments Awww March. A transition month here in North Texas with (finally) some warm days for reading outdoors yet still have chilly days and even a freeze or two. It is alas an exciting month of "Love and Basketball". Utah was completely snubbed this year so no basketball road trips for me but I watched the complete tournaments of the NCAA and NIT and rooted for friends' teams. Texas schools did very well this year with their "One Shining Moment" with Texas and TCU in the NIT (Texas won!) and Baylor and Texas Tech in the NCAA )Tech made the final 2 but lost to Virginia) Baylor WOMEN won the NCAA women's tournament! They are awesome!

So I only was able to finish three books in March but all three were terrific reads!

I finished the book HEAT: AN AMATEUR'S ADVENTURES AS KITCHEN SLAVE, LINE COOK, PASTA-MAKER AND APPRENTICE TO A DANTE - QUOTING BUTCHER IN TUSCANY by Bill Buford

Heat An Amateur's Adventures as Kitchen Slave, Line Cook, Pasta-Maker, and Apprentice to a Dante-Quoting Butcher in Tuscany by Bill Buford

The subtitle is basically the summary of the book! I will add that it was funny and I learned a lot about working in a restaurant kitchen in NYC, Italian food history and traditions and Chef Mario Bartoli who was the subject of an article Buford wrote for THE NEW YORKER when he was a staff writer at the magazine. He does tend to go on a little long on some topics but on the whole a very satisfying read. I also was inspired to eat a lot of pasta!

I also finally finished THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE by Audrey Niffengger.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

This book has been on my TBR for years! A friend recommended it, but for some reason I never got around to reading it. Just like I resolved to finish A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES over this past winter, I resolved to read THE TIME TRAVELER 's WIFE. Sooooo glad I read it! I like time travel stories and I thought this was an interesting take on the idea of time traveling! I got a little confused with all the switching back and forth and the different dates and ages but I loved the story and the characters of Clare and Henry. I cried the last 80 pages or so and I classify this book, for me at least, Huggable!

Finally I was awarded the chance to read an ARC of QUEENIE by Candice Carty -Williams from NetGalley and Orion Publishing

Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams

Loved this book! It is about Queenie Jenkins, a 25 year old woman from Jamaica living in London. She has a bad breakup with her boyfriend and takes a serious downward spiral. She is a great character who is friendly and smart , very emotional and a bit of a narcissist but I loved her anyway! The story was so real, timely and covers racism and what it is like to be in a big city as a young woman of color trying to make it in journalism and find true love. The author JoJo Moyes sponsored a contest where an author was chosen to use her cottage to write their book and she picked Carty-Williams and she wrote QUEENIE there. I love book background stories!

Almost halfway through the month and having a blast reading OUTDOORS ! Hope everyone's April is going along well and you have many satisfying reading adventures!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Ceelee - real, timely, satisfying and huggable!!
Great summaries! Good for you getting a long languishing book off your tbr (love "huggable"!) And nice to hear you liked (and won)Queenie!
Congrats on the basketball tournaments; the NHL playoffs are underway with hockey games impacting my reading :).

message 3: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments I don't keep up with hockey much. The night the Dallas Stars won Lord Stanley's Cup my dad died! We didn't know until the next morning it happened but there were a lot of weird signs and a feeling that something was "off" that whole (and a very long game!) evening!. I think that could be the reason my brothers and I lost interest in the sport although I tried to follow the Stars I gradually stopped watching them. I hope your favorite team wins!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Thanks Ceelee: that would be a tough association with the loss of your Dad.
Those Stars playoff overtimes were epic.
I hope you don't mind that my favorites team is the Nashville Predators, my hometown! :)
Ceelee wrote: "I don't keep up with hockey much. The night the Dallas Stars won Lord Stanley's Cup my dad died! We didn't know until the next morning it happened but there were a lot of weird signs and a feeling that something was "off" that whole (and a very long game!) evening!. I think that could be the reason my brothers and I lost interest in the sport although I tried to follow the Stars I gradually stopped watching them. I hope your favorite team wins! "

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Quality over quantity any time. We're watching the NHL playoffs this year, too, Ann. The Avs made it! Also have some interest in the NBA playoffs with the Nuggets being pretty good this year!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Melodie: I love playoff hockey!
Melodie wrote: "Quality over quantity any time. We're watching the NHL playoffs this year, too, Ann. The Avs made it! Also have some interest in the NBA playoffs with the Nuggets being pretty good this year!"

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7907 comments Melodie wrote: "Quality over quantity any time. We're watching the NHL playoffs this year, too, Ann. The Avs made it! Also have some interest in the NBA playoffs with the Nuggets being pretty good this year!"

Joining you and Ann in playoff watch as the Celtics and the Bruins are in it so far. Well, don't really watch in the early stages, just check in to see how they're doing and maybe watch to the end if they are doing well.

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments Ann, I don't mind you supporting the Predators. I actually watched the game on Saturday! Another overtime game! It was fun!
Well the Dallas Mavs aren't in the playoffs so I am rooting for the Spurs, Thunder and Rockets! (Sorry Melodie!) I went to the last two Mavs games to see Dirk play his final two games. He is my favorite NBA player ever! The tribute in Dallas was so awesome and in San Antonio when the Mavs were being introduced and they got to Dirk they showed the tribute film we saw in Dallas. I think it finally hit home this was the last time he would be introduced as a player and he visibly shed some tears. Awww what a guy! He is still going to live in Dallas! and Mark Cuban promised him a job for life! I can-t wait to see that biggest badass statue of him standing in front of the American Airlines Center!

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Ceelee: it was a good game and the next game was a nail biter on Monday night too. I am usually able to read on period breaks and for home games listen to my audio book while walking to the arena so hockey games allow for some reading time. :)
I'll be in Dallas for the Winter Classic in January!

Ceelee wrote: "Ann, I don't mind you supporting the Predators. I actually watched the game on Saturday! Another overtime game! It was fun!
Well the Dallas Mavs aren't in the playoffs so I am rooting for the Spurs..."

message 10: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments That is one thing I found out about hockey too! The period breaks does give me time to read. Sometimes I wont be able to stop! :) I usually read ebooks during a game because I can do that in the dark if I want! So excited about the Stars win last night! (Sorry!) Another long one! I watched part of the Rangers baseball game from Oakland between periods. Good thing I turned the channel back! or I would have missed that final goal!
The Winter Classic is in Dallas? Cool! Maybe I can go and we can meet up there!

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Ceelee: It was a nailbiting game especially in the two OT periods. Congrats to the Stars for taking the first round! I'll have even more time to read now. :)
If you do go to the Winter Classic game in January perhaps we can meet up. My trip to Dallas is a whirlwind turnaround, one day in, attend the game, next day out. It is exciting to look forward to it.
You and Melodie's Avs may end up playing each other in the third round!

Ceelee wrote: "That is one thing I found out about hockey too! The period breaks does give me time to read. Sometimes I wont be able to stop! :) I usually read ebooks during a game because I can do that in the da..."