Reading 1001 discussion

The House on the Borderland
This topic is about The House on the Borderland
1001 book reviews > The House on the Borderland by Hodgson

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 2 stars

I was hoping this book would have the gothic feel of Bronte's Wuthering Heights or DuMaurier's Rebecca. I would have even enjoyed something slightly more supernatural, like Stoker's Dracula. Unfortunately for me though, this one feels much more like modern horror, and I just don't enjoy that genre.

Kristel (kristelh) | 3964 comments Mod
Read 2015, BOTM
Story written in 1908 about a recluse living in a house on the Borderland. The story is on the surface about a place that is built over a pit where swine like beast live. The man fights of the beast then has a couple of time travels where he visits his lost love and another where he sees the end of the world and solar system and another visit to his lost love. The message is turn from bestial lust (the pit) to the pure undemanding love of the virginal figure (the white sea). Two fishermen on a trip to Ireland, find a manuscript in an old ruin. So this story could be epistolary as it is the reading of this recluses diary. Is this the story of man's journey into madness. It is an example of weird fiction.

Diane Zwang | 1217 comments Mod
Read 2015
2 stars

From the book jacket: The House on the Borderland is set somewhere in the remote Irish countryside, sometime in the late nineteenth century. At an ancient, crumbling estate, overrun by wild gardens, resides a man who has a most unusual story to tell. A story that is a blend of horror, fantasy and science fiction. He recounts his descent into the Pit, his desperate battle against sub-human creatures and his voyage across the dimensions of time.

I had a hard time engaging in this story. It was slow going in the beginning, then finally became interesting with the Pit and sub-human creatures but his voyage into time travel lost me. I really had no idea what this had to do with the story. The writing was not bad. I ultimately gave it a lower rating because I didn't think I could recommend this book to anyone to enjoy.

message 4: by Zeejane (last edited Aug 31, 2021 03:42AM) (new)

Zeejane The House on the Borderland had such potential and started off strongly. However, it quickly fizzled out and became tedious to get through. Once the contents of the diary become the focal point of the story things go down hill. Overly descriptive and repetitive, I ended up mostly skimming through the protagonist's quasi-journey through the end of the world. I kept waiting for something, anything to happen, but I was disappointed.

A weak 2 star rating.